Moving to Perth soon and starting to brick it!

auzziesheila

Guest The Ropey HOFF
That's because the public sector are overpaid and overstaffed under the labour government but don't worry the same problem has now arrived in Australia.

So British nurses don't deserve the pay they get, or a pay rise for 5 years?

The problem hasn't yet arrived in Australia public sector workers have just had another good pay rise this year, that's over 20% increase in 5 years, whereas in the UK, it's no pay rise at all.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So British nurses don't deserve the pay they get, or a pay rise for 5 years?

The problem hasn't yet arrived in Australia public sector workers have just had another good pay rise this year, that's over 20% increase in 5 years, whereas in the UK, it's no pay rise at all.

WA is 22-28 billion in debt, it's on its way my friend . Lots of projects will start being shelved and public jobs ARE already being slashed

The best thing to do from the point of view of the bosses,be they private sector or public sector bosses,is to get the workers turning on each other,it deflects attention away from the fact that we're not "all in this together",as wage rises for the top earners prove,carry on slating each other yer mugs,yer fall right into their hands

The ragged trousered philanthropist should be compulsory reading in all schools,it might make some think about how they're conditioned

Nope' No pay rise for me and millions of others for years to come. This government are imposing a 1% lump sum payment each year, which doesn't go on our wages, so our wage never increases and this means we get far less pension when we eventually retire, unless Labour get in and reverse it, which is unlikely because they are just like the Tories to me.

Pension here equate living on the poverty level, especially if don't own a house. Aged have seriously been impacted in recent years. As for super, largely dependant on the market. (and how much fee's are charged) Charity run organisations doing a roaring trade.

Wage rises, more cost of living increases, which is a small amount every year.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
WA is 22-28 billion in debt, it's on its way my friend . Lots of projects will start being shelved and public jobs ARE already being slashed

The Uk is a Trillion pounds in debt, plus it's economy has been in recession or stagnation for 5 years, where as Australia has been booming and has predicted growth of double what the UK is Predicted, I know your praying for things to go wrong in Oz, but it's a long way to go yet, plus ...... If it ever does it will only be slightly like what we have suffered for years. It's still a lot better there than here, as you know yourself your earning far more than you could ever earn in the UK.

The Uk is a Trillion pounds in debt, plus it's economy has been in recession or stagnation for 5 years, where as Australia has been booming and has predicted growth of double what the UK is Predicted, I know your praying for things to go wrong in Oz, but it's a long way to go yet, plus ...... If it ever does it will only be slightly like what we have suffered for years. It's still a lot better there than here, as you know yourself your earning far more than you could ever earn in the UK.

I'm not praying for things to go downhill .. I can now earn money back in the uk on par with my wage here, things are looking a lot better nowadays

I'm not praying for things to go downhill .. I can now earn money back in the uk on par with my wage here, things are looking a lot better nowadays

lets face it though.. As soon as things are healthy again in the UK and the projects kick off again on a larger scale the Polish, Lithuanians, and soon to be Romanians and Bulgarians will flood back in and undercut all the UK tradies just like they did a few years ago putting people out of business and driving wages down. It'll happen!

lets face it though.. As soon as things are healthy again in the UK and the projects kick off again on a larger scale the Polish, Lithuanians, and soon to be Romanians and Bulgarians will flood back in and undercut all the UK tradies just like they did a few years ago putting people out of business and driving wages down. It'll happen!

If you can't beat em join em

That sounds like Australia just replace the polish and lithuanians with English and Irish.

The pay rises do not make up for the enormous increase in the cost of everything since 2003.

That sounds like Australia just replace the polish and lithuanians with English and Irish.

Or 457's. More Indian and Chinese coming in than Brits. Not forgetting low paid New Zealanders. Philippine born folk behind Brit's. Not so different in many ways. Oz went for spending their way out of recession while the Brit's have done down the low wage path.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
The pay rises do not make up for the enormous increase in the cost of everything since 2003.

That's not what this article is saying.

Economic modelling disproves the general perception that prices in Australia are skyrocketing, with households actually better offFollow Lenore Taylor by emailBETA

theguardian.com, Friday 30 August 2013 22.02 BST

Wage increases are easily outstripping price rises in a typical basket of goods across the country, Natsem found. Photograph: Christopher Thomond for the Guardian

The political consensus that Australians' cost of living is "skyrocketing" is shown to be completely untrue by a new analysis that reveals the average household is actually $5,302 a year better off in real terms than it was in 2008.

Liberal federal director Brian Loughnane recently wrote to everyone on the party's mailing list, asking: "Have you noticed how prices have skyrocketed in the last six years? Thanks to Kevin Rudd and Labor everything from electricity, gas, education and medical services has gone up significantly. And Labor and the Greens made things far worse when they introduced their carbon tax."

He announced that the Liberals had created a Facebook app called the "cost of Labor calculator", so readers could "plug in your expenses and see just how much extra this Labor government has cost you". Labor has also accepted as fact the widespread perception that the cost of living is rising. Announcing increased childcare funding on the first day of the campaign earlier this month, Kevin Rudd said that "wherever I go across Australia, what I hear is cost of living pressures and the pressures on family life in general."

But, according to analysis by the National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling, wage increases are easily outstripping cost of living increases across the country, with West Australian families $9,776 a year better off in real terms than they were in 2008, New South Wales and Victorian families $4,225 ahead, Queensland households in front by $4,230, South Australians by $4,171 and Tasmanians by $874.

The Natsem modelling found the cost of living had actually risen by just 1.7% in the year to June, well below the long-term annual average of 2.9%, and that household incomes had risen on average by 2.8% over the same timeframe, leaving households, on average, better off.

Like I said, wages in the UK haven't gone up at all since 2008 but inflation has, there's a massive difference between the two countries, wages in Australia have zoomed up.

...if you are on facebook join perth crime it tell you all the crime...

I've just searched for my own area on Facebook (with the suffix 'crime') and am astounded at the crime in my county! (not particularly in my town itself as it's rather small and is quite well-to-do, but surrounding towns / villages seem to have far more crime than I read about in the paper!). Just goes to show that crime is all around us but we're not always aware of the full extent of it or, at least, we aren't affected by it...yet! :eek: I also find it interesting to follow the local police force on Twitter as they post where they're going (what crimes they're attending), the outcomes, etc. Not sure if the Aussie police also do this...?

Interesting thread by the way - lots of useful info to consider when / if we make the move :biggrin:

I-F

That's not what this article is saying.

Economic modelling disproves the general perception that prices in Australia are skyrocketing, with households actually better offFollow Lenore Taylor by emailBETA

theguardian.com, Friday 30 August 2013 22.02 BST

Wage increases are easily outstripping price rises in a typical basket of goods across the country, Natsem found. Photograph: Christopher Thomond for the Guardian

The political consensus that Australians' cost of living is "skyrocketing" is shown to be completely untrue by a new analysis that reveals the average household is actually $5,302 a year better off in real terms than it was in 2008.

Liberal federal director Brian Loughnane recently wrote to everyone on the party's mailing list, asking: "Have you noticed how prices have skyrocketed in the last six years? Thanks to Kevin Rudd and Labor everything from electricity, gas, education and medical services has gone up significantly. And Labor and the Greens made things far worse when they introduced their carbon tax."

He announced that the Liberals had created a Facebook app called the "cost of Labor calculator", so readers could "plug in your expenses and see just how much extra this Labor government has cost you". Labor has also accepted as fact the widespread perception that the cost of living is rising. Announcing increased childcare funding on the first day of the campaign earlier this month, Kevin Rudd said that "wherever I go across Australia, what I hear is cost of living pressures and the pressures on family life in general."

But, according to analysis by the National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling, wage increases are easily outstripping cost of living increases across the country, with West Australian families $9,776 a year better off in real terms than they were in 2008, New South Wales and Victorian families $4,225 ahead, Queensland households in front by $4,230, South Australians by $4,171 and Tasmanians by $874.

The Natsem modelling found the cost of living had actually risen by just 1.7% in the year to June, well below the long-term annual average of 2.9%, and that household incomes had risen on average by 2.8% over the same timeframe, leaving households, on average, better off.

Like I said, wages in the UK haven't gone up at all since 2008 but inflation has, there's a massive difference between the two countries, wages in Australia have zoomed up.

I know the report. Like all these things some have made sheds of money. You need to consider the massive personal debt in Australia and ask yourself if wages are increasing at such a rapid rate why the level should be so high? Perhaps talk to some regular Aussies who will put you right on the matter.

Talk to some of the young will never afford a house. Or the poor aged surviving on meagre pensions.

Just wait a bit and witness what the agenda is to bring down conditions. The Lib's tried it last time around and got sussed.

Loads of people here on holiday visas and 457s working for 60% or less than what the aussies get paid. Wages will be driven down because of this. Those of us on PR usually work for less at first as well.

There's the ever expanding WHV countries coming into play as well. Poland and Czech Rep along with a number of others being added to the list. You can be sure business is/will be lobbying to cut costs (meaning wages) and making competition more imperative. Lobbyists, as I stated on a thread, have already reportedly pushing for the reintroduction of 457 visa without the need to seek locally first.

Big difference being you will have applied for and been accepted for emigration or a 457 visa. Which means that you are well trained and or qualified, more than likely speak English and be very employable and maybe in demand.

Yes union rates are high, had a chat with a plumber today, he's on $50 an hour under a union agreement but was on $32 on a non union agreement. The unions are fighting hard to stop the 457 for this reason .. Not the lads fault but the system

Not the lads fault for what? I'm sure he's happier to be on $50 an hour. The unions have a point when employers can bring in 457 visa people and pay them a pittance to do the same job. If they don't fight hard we will see jobs disappear to the lowest bidder, company profits soar and upper management salaries get out of control.

Not the lads fault for what? I'm sure he's happier to be on $50 an hour. The unions have a point when employers can bring in 457 visa people and pay them a pittance to do the same job. If they don't fight hard we will see jobs disappear to the lowest bidder, company profits soar and upper management salaries get out of control.

What I meant was it isn't the fault of the lads on 457's for being on a lower rate, it's the greed of the company's, you find these companies will never work on union jobs or have anything to do with them. That's how they exploit the lads

What I meant was it isn't the fault of the lads on 457's for being on a lower rate, it's the greed of the company's, you find these companies will never work on union jobs or have anything to do with them. That's how they exploit the lads

Understand now. You're right. I heard yesterday that there is a company in Perth bringing in guys in 457 visas from the UK and South Africa. Don't know how they are getting away with it as I know there isn't a shortage of people to do the type of work they are after. The guys coming in a mostly ex-foces, comms guys with good experience.

I mentioned this company a few weeks ago to a friend at work, as I knew he is fed up with the job he's doing here and is a bit bored. He knew all about them and that they were recruiting but he said the money they want to pay is crap. They expect people to work away on contract positions and pay them as if they work in Perth. Still plenty of takers for the 457 though, with the hope that they might get PR eventually.

Archived