Advice for a Scottish teacher looking to teach in WA

kd268

Hello,

I've just joined this forum so I apologise if there have been any similar thread recently (I didn't see any). I am looking to emigrate to Australia in the next 2/3 years. I know job opportunities will change between now and then but I am still keen to find out.

Currently I am in my 4th year of my B.Ed Primary teaching degree. Next year I will have a probation year in Scotland and then after that I intend to travel and end up in Oz to stay. Me and my boyfriend are keen travelers and backpackers. We plan to travel around Asia for 6 months if not more before we settle in Oz I also have a TEFL qualification and will be teaching english while we are there. My partner is an environmental engineer and he hopes to get a job at Kalgoorlie in Oz so we intend to move to WA. He lived in Oz on a working holiday visa 2008 and WA was his favorite and I love the idea of it. He is entitled to a 2 year of his visa as he did fruit picking etc in rural areas so I intend to come over on a working holiday and he will use his 2nd year while we find jobs, sort out more permanent visa. We also plan to get some temporary work and I hope to teach supply during this time to get some Australian teaching experience.

Any way less rambling and more to the point. We regularly look at jobs and the SOL list. I know currently his job is on the SOL list however Primary teachers are not only secondary. However I know there are a lot of Primary jobs going in WA between Perth to down Margaret river area. This is ideal for us as he will fly in and out to Kalgoorlie( as far as we know) and we are happy to (if not keen) to live in a more rural area. I am happy to live and teach in a small town and there seems to be a lot of these positions going. I'm not sure how open these are to me though or if they are more likely to go to aussie applicants?

A lot of of these positions are for 4-6 months with a few for a year as far as I can see. I am okay with moving school and even home a couple of times over the first few years until I get somewhere permanent and I'm hoping if my boyfriend has a permanent job and I am continuously finding new jobs we'll both be okay visa wise. Though any information on this would be great as I don't actually know the ins and outs.

Basically I would love any information about people of have moved to WA, anyone who has taught or currently teaches in WA, anyone who is an engineer in WA or any other useful information they would like to share.

Sorry for the essay thank you for reading it all if you've got this far.

Kayleigh

Hello,

I've just joined this forum so I apologise if there have been any similar thread recently (I didn't see any). I am looking to emigrate to Australia in the next 2/3 years. I know job opportunities will change between now and then but I am still keen to find out.

Currently I am in my 4th year of my B.Ed Primary teaching degree. Next year I will have a probation year in Scotland and then after that I intend to travel and end up in Oz to stay. Me and my partner are keen travelers and backpackers. We plan to travel around Asia for 6 months if not more before we settle in Oz I also have a TEFL qualification and will be teaching english while we are there. My partner is an environmental engineer and he hopes to get a job at Kalgoorlie in Oz so we intend to move to WA. He lived in Oz on a working holiday visa 2008 and WA was his favorite and I love the idea of it. He is entitled to a 2 year of his visa as he did fruit picking etc in rural areas so I intend to come over on a working holiday and he will use his 2nd year while we find jobs, sort out more permanent visa. We also plan to get some temporary work and I hope to teach supply during this time to get some Australian teaching experience.

Any way less rambling and more to the point. We regularly look at jobs and the SOL list. I know currently his job is on the SOL list however Primary teachers are not only secondary. However I know there are a lot of Primary jobs going in WA between Perth to down Margaret river area. This is ideal for us as he will fly in and out to Kalgoorlie( as far as we know) and we are happy to (if not keen) to live in a more rural area. I am happy to live and teach in a small town and there seems to be a lot of these positions going. I'm not sure how open these are to me though or if they are more likely to go to aussie applicants?

A lot of of these positions are for 4-6 months with a few for a year as far as I can see. I am okay with moving school and even home a couple of times over the first few years until I get somewhere permanent and I'm hoping if my O/h has a permanent job and I am continuously finding new jobs we'll both be okay visa wise. Though any information on this would be great as I don't actually know the ins and outs.

Basically I would love any information about people of have moved to WA, anyone who has taught or currently teaches in WA, anyone who is an engineer in WA or any other useful information they would like to share.

Sorry for the essay thank you for reading it all if you've got this far.

Kayleigh

Hi

First of all there are not a lot of primary jobs going in the area that you described - Perth down to Margaret River. These are HUGELY popular areas and the few teaching opportunities are highly sought after and fought for.

However, if you choose to live in Kalgoorlie, where your boyfriend will be working, then you will find relief teaching and/or a job much easier, as not so many people are keen to move there.

You said that you will be working on a WHV, this limits the amount of time that you can work in a school, but it will enable you to relief teach.

You will need to register with the TRBWA before you can teach in either a public or private school. Start the process before you come over as it takes a while. You will need all of your academic transcripts and proof of number of supervised teaching days. It is good that you are doing a four year BEd, as four years of tertiary education is mandatory across Australia.

Start researching now, as WA is undergoing major change. All of the government independent schools ( the Principles can choose their own staff) are beginning to advertise their pools right now for next year and will be conducting interviews ( before Christmas) for some of those people that are successful getting into the pools.

Also apply to the graduate teacher pool via jobswa ( you will be considered a graduate for the first two years after you graduate). Non independent government schools are sent a selection of cv's from staffing at DETWA and the Principles then choose who they are interested in from the selection that they have been sent.

Private schools are also beginning to advertise. Do note, that getting into a a pool does not guarantee a job. It is competitive to get into the independent pools, but that is only half the battle won and many people swim around in them hoping for a job offer to come up

At the beginning of this year there were aprox 900 new teaching graduates without positions.

However, relief teaching is often the way in, as a school can get to know you. The jobs that you have seen advertised that you mention ( 4 - 6 month length) are often available at this time of year due to long service leave and maternity leave.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I have been looking online to see where there are jobs advertised and I have seen a large number of schools in the area I described (Perth down to Margaret river) advertising teaching pools and looking for a number of teachers. Quite a few of the dates had been extended. I assumed that this meant these schools were searching for a number for teachers and possibly not finding all they needed and that's why they were extending application dates.

I know that teaching jobs are very difficult to find in the Cities or their surrounding areas such as Perth, Sydney & Melbourne or any big city however I was lead to believe (possibly wrongly) that WA were still in need of teachers, mostly in more rural areas as people didn't want to go there as much. I am by no means expected jobs to be thrown at me but I hoped with my flexibility of where I will teach or live I would be more likely to get jobs for at least 6 months.

Also I'm not entirely sure what the 'teaching pools' mean? This is not something that exists in Scotland and positions are advertised and you apply for specific teaching job. Could you enlighten me me on this please?

Thank you for your reply. I have been looking online to see where there are jobs advertised and I have seen a large number of schools in the area I described (Perth down to Margaret river) advertising teaching pools and looking for a number of teachers. Quite a few of the dates had been extended. I assumed that this meant these schools were searching for a number for teachers and possibly not finding all they needed and that's why they were extending application dates.

I know that teaching jobs are very difficult to find in the Cities or their surrounding areas such as Perth, Sydney & Melbourne or any big city however I was lead to believe (possibly wrongly) that WA were still in need of teachers, mostly in more rural areas as people didn't want to go there as much. I am by no means expected jobs to be thrown at me but I hoped with my flexibility of where I will teach or live I would be more likely to get jobs for at least 6 months.

Also I'm not entirely sure what the 'teaching pools' mean? This is not something that exists in Scotland and positions are advertised and you apply for specific teaching job. Could you enlighten me me on this please?

Two thirds of all WA government schools are now independent, which means they can now choose their own staff. For many years government schools had no choice about the teachers that were sent to them. Central staffing at the Ed Department basically sent whoever they wanted. It was a situation that meant many schools had teachers they did not want and many teachers were at schools they did not like or want to be at location wise.

Now that most government schools are independent, they are in charge of their own finances and staffing selection.

It is completely unlike the UK......WA independent schools advertise pools ( very occasionally immediate jobs). To get a job in a school you must first be accepted into their pool of potential applicants. You also need to write a lengthy selection criteria ( addressing the Australian National Professional Standards ) as well as send in a cv.

Occasionally you will see individual jobs advertised for a government school ( independent and non independent). This happens when a pool is depleted, or no one in the pool is suitable. These normally occur half way through the year and are because of long service leave or maternity leave etc.

Permanency can take many years and most teachers are on fixed term contracts and do not know if they have a job for the next year until Christmas time - this is the reality.

Private schools are different and advertise jobs - not pools.

The area that you mentioned is very very popular and any position that is locate near to coastal area is highly desirable.

If you choose to go up north remote then you stand a better chance. You mentioned Kalgoorlie - there are always jobs there through the year.

A teaching pool is just that, a pool. It is not a job, merely a pool of successful applicants/people that may be considered for a job, if one comes up.

Schools have a selection process where they choose from all the applicants and select only some for their pool. Some schools might have 200 people accepted into their pool, whereas another school may only choose 20!

Once accepted into a pool, you remain in it for generally a year and if a job comes up they may then contact you for an interview. That's the reality of it.

Schools are beginning to advertise now pools for potential positions that may begin in February 2014. That is why you would have seen a number of adverts for pools recently. Come the end of this year and the first half of next year will find very little advertised, if at all.

Any school will be highly reluctant to take someone on for any contract if they are only here on WHV. Relief teaching is a good option.

As I said before, there were 900 Aussie teaching grads unemployed at the beginning of this year. There is a surplus of Primary Teachers in WA, so be prepared to be competitive and have an excellent cv AND knowledge of the professional standards - the Aussie grads certainly will!

Hi! We are Primary School teachers too!

Sammy1 is a great source of information when it comes to teaching!

Primary School Teacher isn't on the SOL as you know, it's on the CSOL, which perhaps tells us a lot about the lack of need for us in Oz........!

Good luck with everything!

:biggrin:

Thank you for your help so far Sammy1. Are both of you currently teaching in WA? If so could I ask where and how you secured your current position? I just want to find out as much as possible in advance. I have also had a look on AITSL website and various google results. Also are their any specific extra skills or experience that are sought after in Oz? I know that's a rather vague questions but it's good to know anything that helps right?

Why do you think your boyfriend will be working in Kal?

I am assuming you think he will work in mining? In which case are you aware that the mining industry is in a severe downturn and laying off lots of staff. I would say the chances of a grad enviro getting work is slim at best. There are a lot of experienced enviros looking for work at the moment.

As I said in my original post I know that job opportunities will change between now and then. I am aware there may be a lot of change in the SOL list and industry in a the next couple of years but I'm just sounding out the current situation and starting to look into our options.

Guest Guest55385

All the British teachers I know fled WA as the teaching & expected levels of education are very poor. Even British teachers over east say it isn't half as rigorous as either the English or Scottish system.

Archived