Gridlocked London.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I recently finished a job in Lavender Hill and used to drive through brixton on route and total comute time from Mottingham 35mins (There) 45mins (back). Compared to my commutes in Brisbane its nothing!.

Loads of upgrades to Londons public transport going on with crossrail and a proposal for a new orbital route underground the "flyunder" would have parks and green areas top-side making London even greener than it is already.

Compared to other major important cities in the world I don't think London does badly at all.

That's really good. Maybe Transport for London's plans are starting to make a difference. The woman in charge does come across as pretty capable.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is that sad? I quite like being able to jump in the car, drive somewhere, be able to park, usually for free. Bit of a novelty for a lot of folk I guess.

There are plenty of free parking spaces here....we never pay for parking when we visit London over the weekends....free parking on the mall if you want to drive in and free parking in some tube station carparks as well if you want to get the tube in.....its not just Perth that has free parking spaces mate :wink:

There are plenty of free parking spaces here....we never pay for parking when we visit London over the weekends....free parking on the mall if you want to drive in and free parking in some tube station carparks as well if you want to get the tube in.....its not just Perth that has free parking spaces mate :wink:

So it's all crap then,:cool: about London being gridlocked.

Over the past 10 years there have been huge developments and vasts amount of money spent on the underground....air cond tube trains on some lines, station upgrades. kingscross and st pancreas has been quadrupled in size, miles of new track laid, more trains.....etc etc

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/18072.aspx#qu9

I used to drive in to London in the late 80's and I agree with an earlier comment that traffic used to be worse back then....the main trunk roads in will always be congested at certain times.....massive upgrades to the A40 had a huge impact on travel times 20 years ago....also the up grades on the north circular around Wembley helped massively.....the thing is its such a huge network of roads that it is an ongoing project to upgrade roads and keep businesses moving....a lot of the infrastructure was built in Victorian times!.....its a great city....with such a vast array of culture and things to see....many cost nothing....its no coincidence it has so many millions of tourists visiting each year......and not a beach in miles.

So it's all crap then,:cool: about London being gridlocked.

I didnt say that....."traffic situation is chaos"..."full to busting at the seams"..."its desperate"..."cars crashing cus they are taking risks"...and this classic..."have to wait half hour for a bus lol"...these headlines paint a picture that I am saying is not accurate....of course there are traffic jams at rush hour etc but thats the same in any city....its about sensationalizing mate thats all and I am just putting forward some facts based on my own personal experience of working there and traveling in and out for nearly 3 decades....for all its problems the people in charge are doing their best to keep it modern and moving and for me its one of...if not the best city in the world.

Over the past 10 years there have been huge developments and vasts amount of money spent on the underground....air cond tube trains on some lines, station upgrades. kingscross and st pancreas has been quadrupled in size, miles of new track laid, more trains.....etc etc

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/18072.aspx#qu9

I used to drive in to London in the late 80's and I agree with an earlier comment that traffic used to be worse back then....the main trunk roads in will always be congested at certain times.....massive upgrades to the A40 had a huge impact on travel times 20 years ago....also the up grades on the north circular around Wembley helped massively.....the thing is its such a huge network of roads that it is an ongoing project to upgrade roads and keep businesses moving....a lot of the infrastructure was built in Victorian times!.....its a great city....with such a vast array of culture and things to see....many cost nothing....its no coincidence it has so many millions of tourists visiting each year......and not a beach in miles.

S'pose the congestion charge would have helped too.

S'pose the congestion charge would have helped too.

There was uproar about that at the time....how its going to impact on businesses...but it seems to be ok now....I dont think that has had a massive impact on numbers avoiding central London and anyway that is just central London...but I dont know the exact figures on that....I read the other day that the government want to relax parking on yellow lines to allow people 15mins free parking to help struggling small businesses and move people away from these huge shopping centers....effectively meaning you can park on the high street to pop into a small shop or business....sounds like a good idea to me.

Hypocrisy.....this website is full of it.....if it bothers you that much then do something about it....

I am,im asking why you and others feel they can comment on the North without living there,yet you laugh at others commenting on London "because" they dont live there

I am,im asking why you and others feel they can comment on the North without living there,yet you laugh at others commenting on London "because" they dont live there

Goodluck then....fingers crossed someone will be along to assist you soon....now lets stay on topic and not ruin a good thread.

I didnt say that....."traffic situation is chaos"..."full to busting at the seams"..."its desperate"..."cars crashing cus they are taking risks"...and this classic..."have to wait half hour for a bus lol"...these headlines paint a picture that I am saying is not accurate....of course there are traffic jams at rush hour etc but thats the same in any city....its about sensationalizing mate thats all and I am just putting forward some facts based on my own personal experience of working there and traveling in and out for nearly 3 decades....for all its problems the people in charge are doing their best to keep it modern and moving and for me its one of...if not the best city in the world.

You should have been on that programme - it might have been a bit more balanced! I know the editing would have been done to show what the producers wanted to show, but these were the opinions of people who work for T for L, or who had to drive into London every day, or get the bus. You could feel the anger and frustration shown by people unable to get on any bus that passed because they were already too full. Obviously some routes are worse than others and the one chosen was probably the worst example, but their experiences and opinions and those who have awful car journeys in every day, are just as valid as yours.

Obviously it's not just a London problem -even Bath is hideous to drive through now(!), but the programme was about London and what strategies are being put in place to make sure the city can cope with future population growth. I don't think it was negative - just the opposite - at least a potential problem has been identified and plans are being put in place now to cope with them.

Fwiw,i could live in London,but only if i didnt have to commute to work,i cant stand that bleedin tube,despise it,crammed in like a sardine,sweaty and horrible experience to have to suffer every day,we ended up getting a black cab between us from Gower st Camden,to Farm st Mayfair,it worked out cheaper anyway,but nah,i'd never get on a tube again,sooner stick needles in my eyes tbh

Guest Ptp113
Yes London is busy, its busy because people want to live and work there because its such a great city.

Good for museums and then leave. Horrific place to 'live'.

couldn't possibly comment as i've not been.:wink:

No? it doesnt bother "me" whether people have been/lived there before they comment on a place,its others it seems to bother tho,its ok them slating the north,but mention anything even slightly bad about London and they get a titty lip on,some of these precious southerners even obsess enuf to have avatars about it:rolleyes:,instead of just enjoying the southern utopia they live in:wink:

calm down, no need for the b1tch t1ts:laugh:. The avatar is just a joke mate, i'll change it if it upsets you:cry:

Liverpool's a great city too (if you like that sort of thing):wink:

Not me getting a titty lip on mucker,the fact is commuting by tube etc and driving in London(especially central) is hard work,thats hardly slating London itself is it?

Its also not me continually obsessing and having a dig at the South like you and a few others do about the North is it?i dont slag other regions of the UK,im happy where i am,so i just enjoy that instead of worrying about the south.

No,the avatar doesnt upset me,its more related to Hartlepool anyway,just seems a bit obsessive thats all

Yeah,you'll find the people here are very proud of our city,thats if you ever venture up here to actually see the place,like i have with Camden,Harrow,Mayfair etc etc,so try not to be so precious,London has plenty going for it,the commute isnt one of them tho is it

yeah ok what ever:SLEEP:

Can't recall continually obsessing about the north TBH but if it keeps the peace here's a nice piccy of a loverly building up north somewhere.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20309[/ATTACH]

You dont keep posting about the weather being grim up here then?and have an avatar about it,ok:twitcy:

Yeah,the three graces,the new canal link,i worked on it,see the horse and rider on the stone plinth?thats the plinth we rebuilt when we moved the statue,theres another :SLEEP:for yer,it has nothing to do with "keeping the peace",this is one thread i disagree with some of the views,so i comment on them,i will always do that,on another thread on a different subject i might agree with posters ive disagreed with on here,its that simple,i address the opinion,i dont target individuals,thanks tho:wubclub:,nice pic:wink:

Archived