Redundancy and moving back to the UK?

smc28

Hi

This is my first post here although I have been on this forum for some time now - It has really helped with my move to Sydney. Now I am hoping for some advice.......I came over in 2011 on a 457 visa with my partner. We were fully aware of the nature of the visa but its just the two of us so it was all a bit of an adventure. I eventually moved jobs and transferred my visa to a great job - been at the Company for 8 months and my role is being made redundant (sometime in the next 2-5 months...). So the decision now is what to do? I am in the process of trying to find a new 457 Business sponsor (which is proving tricky as given its an election year most people are waiting to see what changes are coming) but there is a real chance that we might have to go home. I don't know how good/bad the job market is in the UK so I don't know if I should take a lesser role here in Sydney or head home and take our chances in London.......Anyone been in a similar position?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You could debate about whether the UK or Australia has better employment prospects until the cows come, there really isn't that much in it in my opinion. However, London is a bit of a basket case (in a good way!) and there will always be plenty of work there, neither myself or any of the people I know have ever been looking for work for longer than about three weeks. This includes friends that have moved to London from abroad for the first time.

Ignoring the restrictions of a 457 visa, give yourself a timeframe with which to look for a new job in Sydney. As those months pass though you'll get a fair idea of how easy/hard it will be. But without setting a bit of a plan it could feel pretty rubbish being in an indefinite state of limbo.

Good luck with it

Hi

This is my first post here although I have been on this forum for some time now - It has really helped with my move to Sydney. Now I am hoping for some advice.......I came over in 2011 on a 457 visa with my partner. We were fully aware of the nature of the visa but its just the two of us so it was all a bit of an adventure. I eventually moved jobs and transferred my visa to a great job - been at the Company for 8 months and my role is being made redundant (sometime in the next 2-5 months...). So the decision now is what to do? I am in the process of trying to find a new 457 Business sponsor (which is proving tricky as given its an election year most people are waiting to see what changes are coming) but there is a real chance that we might have to go home. I don't know how good/bad the job market is in the UK so I don't know if I should take a lesser role here in Sydney or head home and take our chances in London.......Anyone been in a similar position?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think this is purely a personal choice. Where do you want to live? I don't think that the employment opportunities will really be that much different, other than you need to find a sponsor as well in Australia.

Heya, Just a thought but if you have been here three years all ready have you thought of going down the PR route???

New rules that came into effect on 1st July last year mean that effectively you've got to work for 2 years for one employer on a 457 visa before they can sponsor you for PR. If they go down the independent route they may not be able to get enough points?? Going down the independent route takes a long time too.

My friends have just been laid off from a mining company here. They are a couple with a 1yr old daughter. Luckily their redundancy package includes full pay til the end of the year (which is good news for her as she is still on maternity leave and effectively has been earning $0 for over a year), they also get 90 days to find another sponsor (I assume that their company won't cancel their visas for another couple of months then the 28 days comes into effect), and they will get relocation back to either of their home countries (UK or Armenia). If they find another job here, all is good apart from the fact they're not 100% happy here. If they don't, paid relocation and a healthy bank balance to set up back in the UK. Either way is fairly positive for them, I hope it can be for you too.

I think it probably boils down to whether you want to stay in Australia or are actually quite looking forward to going home. If the former, you'll find a new sponsor, because you'll make it happen. If the latter, get your sponsor to pay for your flights home.

New rules that came into effect on 1st July last year mean that effectively you've got to work for 2 years for one employer on a 457 visa before they can sponsor you for PR. If they go down the independent route they may not be able to get enough points?? Going down the independent route takes a long time too.

My friends have just been laid off from a mining company here. They are a couple with a 1yr old daughter. Luckily their redundancy package includes full pay til the end of the year (which is good news for her as she is still on maternity leave and effectively has been earning $0 for over a year), they also get 90 days to find another sponsor (I assume that their company won't cancel their visas for another couple of months then the 28 days comes into effect), and they will get relocation back to either of their home countries (UK or Armenia). If they find another job here, all is good apart from the fact they're not 100% happy here. If they don't, paid relocation and a healthy bank balance to set up back in the UK. Either way is fairly positive for them, I hope it can be for you too.

I think it probably boils down to whether you want to stay in Australia or are actually quite looking forward to going home. If the former, you'll find a new sponsor, because you'll make it happen. If the latter, get your sponsor to pay for your flights home.

You don't have to be working for one employer for two years to get PR via 186 employer sponsored. Under two years means undertaking a skills assessment that's all. And a willin sponsor of course! We were sponsored after being here for only 6 months, and we're luckily able to bypass the skills assessment due to exemption. But I can Definately confirm there is no 2 year working requirement...

You don't have to be working for one employer for two years to get PR via 186 employer sponsored. Under two years means undertaking a skills assessment that's all. And a willin sponsor of course! We were sponsored after being here for only 6 months, and we're luckily able to bypass the skills assessment due to exemption. But I can Definately confirm there is no 2 year working requirement...

When did you get yours?

I have been told by my employers migration agent that this is not possible. http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-186/

My employers agreed to sponsoring me and then changed their offer of sponsorship on 1st July saying they would only do it once I worked for them for 2 years. Initially I was convinced that I could apply via the Direct Entry route, but was assured by both the migration agent AND via a thread on PIO that it wasn't possible.

When did you get yours?

I have been told by my employers migration agent that this is not possible. http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-186/

My employers agreed to sponsoring me and then changed their offer of sponsorship on 1st July saying they would only do it once I worked for them for 2 years. Initially I was convinced that I could apply via the Direct Entry route, but was assured by both the migration agent AND via a thread on PIO that it wasn't possible.

We applied post 1st July 2012, and got PR Jan this year. If you want to PM me more specifics I'm happy to share knowledge. We did it without an agent, so I'm pretty aware of the paperwork etc. If I can help clarify anything for you I'm happy to. :)

I don't actually want to get PR now, it's not worth it for us. We're thinking about going back to the UK in a year or so and want to be able to extract our super. This outweighs the only benefits we would get which would be paid parental leave, but I may get a pay rise this year which would count me out of paid parental leave anyway!

In 2 weeks time I will have had my 457 for 2 years anyway, and will have worked for my employer for 2 years at the end of September, not a long time to wait if we did still want to get PR.

I've been told by the migration agent my company use that the 90 days is for all holders of the 457 visa. That's a relief but Sydney is that expensive that I figure if I haven't managed to find a new sponsor by the time I get made redundant then heading home (at the cost of the Company) is probably better as otherwise we'll waste our savings on Sydney rent. I agree this probably does come down to where we want to live.....which is a difficult decision in itself. The thought of having to start again in the UK is a tiny bit terrifying....better the devil you know I suppose! PR is an option ( I am a Chartered Accountant) but again, we couldn't afford to wait in Australia whilst the application goes through.

I've been told by the migration agent my company use that the 90 days is for all holders of the 457 visa. That's a relief but Sydney is that expensive that I figure if I haven't managed to find a new sponsor by the time I get made redundant then heading home (at the cost of the Company) is probably better as otherwise we'll waste our savings on Sydney rent. I agree this probably does come down to where we want to live.....which is a difficult decision in itself. The thought of having to start again in the UK is a tiny bit terrifying....better the devil you know I suppose! PR is an option ( I am a Chartered Accountant) but again, we couldn't afford to wait in Australia whilst the application goes through.

As an accountant, you could get that visa through in a few months if you got cracking.

The migration agent (and DIAC) still reckon 12-18 months for a PR visa though......

Nonsense. You can get an accountant skills assessment in about a week if you apply to ICAA and fast track it. And then visa applications are moving really quickly at the moment, if there are no complications, you can have it in a few months as I say.

The issue comes back to what do you want to do.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

A word of advice 3 out of every 4 jobs being created here in the UK are part time and low paid, if it's possible I would try and secure a job in the UK before coming back, but if you can't, research a lower area of unemployment and it maybe less of a risk. Best of luck.

Archived