4 Years In Perth and what it, like living here , the pro's and con,s

Highland Laddie

Guest Guest26012
Can't understand why anyone would want to actually live in ( as opposed to just visit) Perth. What's wrong with the Eastern States? I am also very surprised that after all these years it is still so backward. The population has grown, it is popular- so why doesn't it just catch up with the rest of the world? Lack of will? Local government? Why? I just don't get it. It is like a time warp but not in a good way.

But there are lots of us that live here that don't view it that way?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Ropey HOFF
But there are lots of us that live here that don't view it that way?

When I was in Perth I was told that people were moving from the East to Perth, because of the great job opportunities and relaxed lifestyle and that Perth was the place to be, some will like it, some wont, it's the same everywhere.

Guest The Pom Queen
When I was in Perth I was told that people were moving from the East to Perth, because of the great job opportunities and relaxed lifestyle and that Perth was the place to be, some will like it, some wont, it's the same everywhere.

There was a mining boom back then though

Guest The Ropey HOFF
There was a mining boom back then though

Its only just slowed down in the last few months, but it's no doubt having an effect.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
No but money pays the mortgage off, then were mortgage free with no worries .. Or you could be a slave to a mortgage for 25 years ..

If I was living in Perth, in the sunshine, in a nice area and earning so much money that in a short period of time I would be able to buy a house outright in the UK I would be dancing a jig and singing the praises of the place for this reason alone.

If I was living in Perth, in the sunshine, in a nice area and earning so much money that in a short period of time I would be able to buy a house outright in the UK I would be dancing a jig and singing the praises of the place for this reason alone.

True..!!

Guest Guest26012
No but money pays the mortgage off, then were mortgage free with no worries .. Or you could be a slave to a mortgage for 25 years ..

Slave ill be then? I'd still rather be happy Paul tbh! Each to their own? Seen too many friends pass away too young to worry about being mortgage free? They would love to be here now with a mortgage than not? And they were so happy with their lives?

My perfect Perth dream house would be in the Swan Valley or Margaret River region, I really like Cowaramup but I also like Bridgetown and places like that too...it'd be walking distance to the local brewery...keep your pommy pubs, the breweries here are awesome and gorgeous food, beer garden, live entertainment, sun! We'd be ten mins from the coast, no more, the house would be 2 or 3 bedrooms older and traditional, wood floors, verandas, lots of wood, big established garden with fruit trees, wood burner, lots of natural light, a bit of decking..I like decking, a spa bath outside...a village high street not too far away, bakery, craft shop etc etc...like Nannup if youve ever been...oooh lovely....I can dream....

Totally agree HH. I have family in Margs and go down heaps to see them and enjoy what the area has to offer. Would love to live down there but have commitments in Perth at the moment that I need to stay here for. I totally get why you live where you do too. It is all about where you are happy and content. So what if other people don't get what you love.... their loss....

Having only backpacked in Perth and spent most of my time at the beach and drinking, I have quite fond memories of Perth albeit a little hazy.

What makes it 10 years behind the eastern Cities?

Having only backpacked in Perth and spent most of my time at the beach and drinking, I have quite fond memories of Perth albeit a little hazy.

What makes it 10 years behind the eastern Cities?

With a hazed memory of Perth, brought about by excessive alcohol intake, would probably go towards explaining why you feel need to ask. Combine that with sun stroke and I guess the location would be of little relevance.

Hardly relaxed being the most expensive city but it can give out a certain aura of being something akin to being so. Probably the sun as a lot to do with it. May be more so than Sydney for sure. During times of work folk head West. Long standing young leave for career opportunities either over East or to Asia/London etc. Work in many university qualified areas one finds the market far too small.

Its only just slowed down in the last few months, but it's no doubt having an effect.

And it only took off from around 03. WA tends to be a boom bust state. Late 90s many graduates on the dole or unable to find appropriate work. We are returning to normal conditions it would appear. Meaning work will be not easy to find and those elusive contacts are all important.

I like the Northern suburbs, the ratio of poms does not bother me one bit. After all...I am one. I like hearing other pommy voices in the supermarket. The far Northern coastal suburbs can give a beautiful lifestyle to Poms for not as much as you might think. I honestly don't know what some people want in life..whats not to love about a lovely home walking distance from a gorgeous beach, all modern facilities and still within driving distance of the cbd?

That said Id prefer somewhere a bit more 'country' and probably a more traditional house. Been to Gidgegannup today, that kind of rural living really, really appeals but just too far inland.

I guess it must feel like you never left home if going on voices alone. Not a fan of the Northern burbs myself but not because of that.

Each to their own.

you guys make me chuckle, I have lived just north or Brisbane and recently moved near rockingham, and to be honest there isn't a great deal of difference between the two, things that I have noticed is that food shopping is slightly cheaper on the east coast, same style little Britain housing estates, hoons, I love where I live the people over here are a lot friendlier and always like to chat to you. when we lived in the uk we where always trying to think what to do next to keep the kids entertained that didn't cost a fortune, over here there are allsorts that are free, you just have to get up and look for it. as for the crime and drug problem think uk is a lot worse than here, the amount of people in my old local town that looked very shifty and unnerved me, didn't like what the uk was turning in to, and I must say that while I have been in this country I have never once felt unsafe for me or my children to the point that my kids now have a bit more freedom over here. House partys and loud music happen in every walk of life and you will always get some people who don't have no respect for others, I myself do not party or play music until the early hours but I have 5 young and very noisy children lol, but find myself always saying if I don't want to listen to that noise im quiet sure nobody else does. I love perth and all that it has to offer and so what if you might have to travel around to find stuff to do, you didn't come over to this beautiful country to bitch and moan so get off your ass and get loving perth. rant over x

you guys make me chuckle, I have lived just north or Brisbane and recently moved near rockingham, and to be honest there isn't a great deal of difference between the two, things that I have noticed is that food shopping is slightly cheaper on the east coast, same style little Britain housing estates, hoons, I love where I live the people over here are a lot friendlier and always like to chat to you. when we lived in the uk we where always trying to think what to do next to keep the kids entertained that didn't cost a fortune, over here there are allsorts that are free, you just have to get up and look for it. as for the crime and drug problem think uk is a lot worse than here, the amount of people in my old local town that looked very shifty and unnerved me, didn't like what the uk was turning in to, and I must say that while I have been in this country I have never once felt unsafe for me or my children to the point that my kids now have a bit more freedom over here. House partys and loud music happen in every walk of life and you will always get some people who don't have no respect for others, I myself do not party or play music until the early hours but I have 5 young and very noisy children lol, but find myself always saying if I don't want to listen to that noise im quiet sure nobody else does. I love perth and all that it has to offer and so what if you might have to travel around to find stuff to do, you didn't come over to this beautiful country to bitch and moan so get off your ass and get loving perth. rant over x

That are....? And please don't mention a beach or a park..

I like the Northern suburbs, the ratio of poms does not bother me one bit. After all...I am one. I like hearing other pommy voices in the supermarket. The far Northern coastal suburbs can give a beautiful lifestyle to Poms for not as much as you might think. I honestly don't know what some people want in life..whats not to love about a lovely home walking distance from a gorgeous beach, all modern facilities and still within driving distance of the cbd?

That said Id prefer somewhere a bit more 'country' and probably a more traditional house. Been to Gidgegannup today, that kind of rural living really, really appeals but just too far inland.

Like....??? .... Driving from past butler..?? To the CBD in rush hour..?? Good luck