Perth. What do you dislike about it?

VERYSTORMY

After the starting of a thread in the chewy section on what people like about Perth, i decided i would do one on what some dont like.

I will start it off:

It is in the middle of nowhere. Getting to any other city involves a fairly serious plane ride.

Its expensive

It has a culture very focused on money - all about being flash

I've never been VS but have to say I don't like big brash shiny new places really.I've also never been to the GC,for the same reasons!I hate to say this but after being on PIO for years and reading post after post of negativities on Perth,I don't like the place and I haven't even been there!:laugh:I think if I were emigrating I would not choose Perth because its just too far away from the rest of Australia.The rural area's must be nice though?????(I'm a country girl at heart)I also don't think I'd like to live in a place where I felt I was being ripped off at every corner.That wouldn't feel good to me tbh!I think quite a few people emigrating just don't realise the sheer vastness of Australia.I never liked Costa Del **** places and I get the impression Perth and the GC are like that!I could be wrong though.

I've never been VS but have to say I don't like big brash shiny new places really.I've also never been to the GC,for the same reasons!I hate to say this but after being on PIO for years and reading post after post of negativities on Perth,I don't like the place and I haven't even been there!:laugh:I think if I were emigrating I would not choose Perth because its just too far away from the rest of Australia.The rural area's must be nice though?????(I'm a country girl at heart)I also don't think I'd like to live in a place where I felt I was being ripped off at every corner.That wouldn't feel good to me tbh!I think quite a few people emigrating just don't realise the sheer vastness of Australia.I never liked Costa Del **** places and I get the impression Perth and the GC are like that!I could be wrong though.

Rural. Well, margaret river is nice, but pretty small and once you have spent a weekend there, you have pretty much seen it. We still go down as its not far from us, just for a change. The hills are full of trees, but there all gum trees and dull and your not allowed to actually walk through them

We have been invited to Perth on the 27th of July for Christmas in July at a friends house in Maylands. Just trying to make our minds up about going, or going down to Esperance instead. We don't need to buy anything from Perth, and run out of ideas of what else to do when we're there. Is it worth the 12 hours of driving just to prove we're not unsociable? At least in Esperance we can get some peace and relaxation, go to a beach where there are no other people.

My OH likens Perth to Plymouth. In fact I think I would prefer Plymouth as at least Dartmoor in on the doorstep. Don't find the Perth Hills too amazing. Margaret River is nice but it's not really Perth. Plus it's a 10 hour drive for us down there.

Planning on going to Melbourne/Victoria for a week in October as I want to see another big Australian city. Right now I can't help but base most of my impressions of Australian cities on Perth which probably isn't the right thing to do!

Anyway, here's my list of what doesn't float my boat about Perth:

1. Bland, faceless suburbs

2. 'Perth-style' houses - to me they are like legoland, boring inefficient houses (i.e. no overhangs on the roof!)

3. Uninteresting landscape - haven't seen anything that I've thought, wow that's beautiful

4. Transport monopolisation - particularly the journey to/from the airport, and why no decent hotels near the airport?

5. Stuff to do - there is about as much going on in Perth as there is in Bakewell, Derbyshire where I used to live. And Bakewell was far prettier!

6. Everything is concrete - hot, unforgiving, grey, unnatural. Also the reason I didn't much like Vancouver. Anyone else notice that most newer cities are composed primarily of concrete? Older cities just have a much nicer feel with the use of stone, flags, cobbles etc.

7. I am not a sheep. Perth is for sheep

8. Cost of travel. The only plus is that it's slightly closer, and sometimes cheaper, to get back to the UK/Europe from Perth compared to other Australian cities. Having said that at work we have this benefit club thing, which gives 15% off British Airways flights. In the small print it excludes flights from Perth to Europe! Useful....

I have a harder time thinking of reasons to GO to Perth. Usually it involves Ikea or if OH needs something for his motorbike (which we usually can't find or is terribly overpriced in Perth so we end up buying online anyway!).

We would like to go to Cape Arid again. Thoroughly recommend although it is a long haul from Perth area. Thomas Fisheries in particular is the nicest beach I have been to in Australia so far. Only accessible by 4x4, 2 camping spots, toilet with paintings on the walls! Gorgeous little turquoise bay that feels safe enough to swim in. Lots of rocks to clamber upon, historic sites just up the track.

I would like to see more of the beaches of WA. But, not willing to camp - i live in a tent for 5 weeks at a time, so last thing i want to do. Hence we normally find ourselves in Margaret River OR SW.

By the way, just had some news from Telfer - guys are being called in one at a time as i write this to see the geology manager - one of my mates is in at the moment. Given they were told there would be redundancies today, its not looking good for them. The word is that the pit will be shut by end of month.

Yeah, I lived in a tent whilst working in Canada and treasured my days in my own bed!

Interesting news today about Barrick selling off even more, including East Kundana where my OH works and where I used to work. First refusal has been given to Rand & Tribune but they're no operator so there's a chance that we could gain them ourselves (La Mancha). Would be full circle me working on Raleigh again!

Other than that I read a very gloomy news article today:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10897554

Ah, so you know where i am coming from when my missus says lets go camping and i look at her like she is mad.

Yeah, i saw the Barrick thing. Doesnt surprise me as they are in a world of pain as a company. A few bad decisions - like most miners. There losing money like there is no tomorrow in Zambia at the moment. God knows what the management of the site were thinking of to end up with 3000 contractors on site.

Have to say i am more pessamistic than ever for the industry in Oz after what is coming out of China at the moment. It has just made itself a too expensive a place to mine.

The desire to camp does come back!

Last year we spent 3 weeks in the US and only spent 4 night in a hotel. We bought the cheapest tent from Walmart and had our own sleeping bags.

I think as far as our jobs go we'll be ok, but if it all went belly up tomorrow we would just get re-repatriated to the UK as we wouldn't be in a bad position there. We'll just ride the wave for now and see what happens. But I don't want to waste any of my annual leave going to Perth, just want to feel like I've 'done' some of the rest of Australia.

• 3 months later...

Bit late replying to this one

Perth

People money orientated big time, rude, big egos, not partial to migrants, racist, not very bright, not very friendly - think they lack social skills, some nice suburbs then some not so, mostly tin roof mini cities, shopping is poor, Perth city erm rather a large town although very pretty to look at when coming in by train on the Mandurah line, weather mostly good apart from the last 8 weeks, huge house prices, huge rents, lots of homeless people, drugs problems etc etc every thing is so expensive and over priced on the back of the fifo workers. The wildlife is fantastic I have to say for me is the best part have taken some fantastic photos.

At some point it is going to go bang and a lot of folks are going to find them selves right up to their armpits in debt which is a shame but then again they knew what they were doing. It is not all built on cash but finance.

Right going to take a breath now.

Bit late replying to this one

Perth

People money orientated big time, rude, big egos, not partial to migrants, racist, not very bright, not very friendly - think they lack social skills, some nice suburbs then some not so, mostly tin roof mini cities, shopping is poor, Perth city erm rather a large town although very pretty to look at when coming in by train on the Mandurah line, weather mostly good apart from the last 8 weeks, huge house prices, huge rents, lots of homeless people, drugs problems etc etc every thing is so expensive and over priced on the back of the fifo workers. The wildlife is fantastic I have to say for me is the best part have taken some fantastic photos.

At some point it is going to go bang and a lot of folks are going to find them selves right up to their armpits in debt which is a shame but then again they knew what they were doing. It is not all built on cash but finance.

Right going to take a breath now.

So would that be all those who live in Perth (a large majority would be migrants) or just all the people you've met? Good to get it off your chest though :wink:

So would that be all those who live in Perth (a large majority would be migrants) or just all the people you've met? Good to get it off your chest though :wink:

Cant speak for all those who live in Perth but the majority of who we have met. Thanks for pointing that out. Sorry not all of the people in Perth can be as I described should have made it a bit clearer :biggrin:

Surely that is what this part of the forum is for? People need to get stuff like that off their chest here without fear of replies like that. Don't turn it into the normal MBTTUK forum.

Surely that is what this part of the forum is for? People need to get stuff like that off their chest here without fear of replies like that. Don't turn it into the normal MBTTUK forum.

You took the words right out of my mouth, when I read the reply

I thought everyone could post on here, without fear of replies like that, as well

People will soon stop posting all together, if they dont have a safe haven to post in.

Guest The Pom Queen

Excuse me there was nothing wrong with a moderator asking a question. There was no attack at all.

Guest The Pom Queen
My apologies - I didn't see that it was the private forum - just saw MBTUK

Ali you have nothing to apologise for, there was nothing wrong with your question

Okay now this is weird, I feel like defending Perth!!!! It isn't all like that you know LOL

But to answer the question.....I didn't like the lack of a decent music scene - it was either 'roots n blues' or bands that were shoring up there pension fund. There were a few exceptions but it was rare to get 'up and coming bands' in Perth. My OH is a musician and there was just no interest from people to write original music, he ended up playing in covers bands just for something to do. I am like a pig in poo now we're back in the UK - there are just too many gigs to go to everything I would like to see.

I didn't like the lack of places to go for the weekend - I loved Margaret River the first time we went and I remember a colleague saying I'd be bored of it when it was the only place I'd been for 5 years, how right she was!

I didn't like the cost of getting anywhere other than Bali - $2500 each for 5 days skiing in New Zealand (didn't go!), $750 each for flights and 3 nights accommodation in Esperance, more expensive for us to fly to the Philipines from Perth than it is from the UK (upset a friend who got married there as as far as he was concerned we were much closer!)

The soulless suburbs, especially the new ones.

The cost of going out....the cost of everything really.

The antiquated infrastructure - electricity, sewerage, telephone lines, internet.

All the British migrants who complain without any sense of irony about migrants!

The Gifted and Talented program - just got an offer from Murdoch College for our son, this is 6 months before he'd have an opportunity to sit the GATE assessment and a $4000 non-refundable deposit had to be paid - so glad we don't have to put him (& us) through that - and yes there is a choice but he had his heart set on going to the College of Arts and his teachers said he stood a good chance of that or a Maths Programme at Shenton College and we wouldn't have denied him the opportunity. No different than grammar schools I suppose but we don't have those in Scotland :)

Agree with all you say really, the thing I dislike is how it's a very much go to bed early place , I find myself ( at 35) going to bed between 9-9.30...!! There's just nothing on tv and I live on one of them soulless new suburbs..nothing happens here in the evening

Archived