Citizenship - good character documents

silencio

Hi members,

hubby and me were wondering about the good character documents for the Australian citizenship application.

Okay, we're not in a hurry, 'cos we've to wait 2 1/2 years before being able to apply. So my question is not urgent, but I think interesting for many of us in this forum.

We recently struggled about an issue we have. We came here 6 months after our 176 visa was granted, so our medicals and police checks were 6 month old until we fly out to Adelaide.

In the good character requirements they say you need a new police clearance in case of absence more than 3 months since visa grant.

Does that mean we have to reapply for an overseas police clearance?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Cheers, Rabeah

Thanks for your answers so far.

To clarify my issue: our inital entry was exactly 6 months after the visa grant (as a PR on a 176).

What I understand is that we as visa holders need to reapply for a new police clearance to satisfy the DIAC requirements.

That one for the visa doesn't count towards the citizenship application, 'cos we've been too long in our home country before we decided to validate our visa?

Is that right?

To clarify my issue: our inital entry was exactly 6 months after the visa grant (as a PR on a 176).

What I understand is that we as visa holders need to reapply for a new police clearance to satisfy the DIAC requirements.

That one for the visa doesn't count towards the citizenship application, 'cos we've been too long in our home country before we decided to validate our visa?

Is that right?

I would worry about that nearer the time you apply - and ask DIAC if in any doubt. If you need a UK police certificate then just get one. It's perfectly straightforward, just a slight extra cost.

Is that right?

You have a very valid question, because not everyone can move to Australia or validate their visas within 90 days of the visa grant date. Since the police check provided for your visa application is valid for 12 months, and if you do move to Australia before it expires, it should cover the period you have lived in your home country. Of course if you have lived in any other country for more than 90 days after your visa was granted and before you moved to Australia, you will need a PCC from that Country. Again, I'm only guessing, and only DIAC would have a definitive answer.

What's interesting is that if you look at Page 5 of Form 1300t, it says that you need to provide Penal clearance certificates if:

You have lived or travelled outside Australia since the age of 18 years or over AND

You held a permanent Australian visa at that time AND

The total time spent outside Australia added up to 12 months or more AND

The time spent in any one country was more than 90 days OR

Requested by the Department

So apparently if you do not meet the third condition above, you wouldn't have to provide a PCC (unless you have lived outside Australia for 12 months). Of course the last condition pretty much overrides the remaining ones!

• 1 year later...

Did anyone managed to get the clarification from DIAC regarding the character requirements in this scenario. I am in the same boat as silencio.

Is that right?

When you say your initial entry date, do you actually mean your moving date? Because the initial entry date by itself doesn't come into it really, not if you say made the entry and then promptly left for two years!

Assuming you did make the move 6 months after getting the visa, then no you won't need a UK police check. We moved about 7 or 8 months after visa grant and did not do UK police check, just the Australian one which is organised for you.

Thanks Pumkin for your answer as well.

Yes, I meant our moving date as 'initial entry date'. We're still here and haven't left Australia yet.

I also have to mention that I would have needed a German police clearance if I hadn't get received these great and relieving answers here that it's not necessary (only on request of DIAC of course). Getting a German pp is more complicated than getting a UK one and expensive, I would have to contact the embassy or consulate and pay heaps of money for a piece of paper where nothing else has changed anyway.

To close positive: just 1 year + 5 months to wait for citizenship application :wink:

Archived