Need some advice urgently

paul2542

We have had problems with our water in the bathroom since we moved in. Basically we don't get hot water in the water, bath or sink its warm at best and often ice cold. Not pleasant at this of year. Now we told the real estate agent that manages our property 5 weeks ago about the problems and its taken up until last week for them to even recognize it. Now I thought that, that would be the end of it but far from it. I was given a number last Thursday to call this guy who supposedly is the landlords preferred plumber. Hardly a professional service. So I called the guy and he was less than useless and sounds like a mate of the landlord more than anything. I am not surprised as I thought they would try to do things on the cheap. But he was hard to deal with and to get him to commit to coming at a certain time. On Saturday he agreed he would come today. Well I had to book the day off work and guess what? He never turned up.

So what do I do now? Nobody seems to give a ...... not the real estate or the landlord. This problem has been in existence since we moved in and therefore it surely cant be considered adequate facilities to rent out. Its taken weeks just to get through to the Real Estate and now its seems the landlords isn't in any urgency to sort the problem out.

I was tempted to get my own plumber out but what will be my legal standing then? As there is no way I should pay for it.

I would ring the agent first thing in the morning and say if its not repaired by tomorrow evening you will get your plumber in and present them with the bill. E-mail them saying the same so you have written proof as well.

Our family bathroom doesnt get really hot due to some child safety gauge that regulates the temperature, a plumber can easily alter it i believe.

Cal x

Guest scrumpy
Yes we have it in the Kitchen, so I don't really understand why we dont in the Bathroom

Probably a "blending valve" installed to bring water temp down for bathroom, either faulty or needs adjusting

I would ring the agent first thing in the morning and say if its not repaired by tomorrow evening you will get your plumber in and present them with the bill. E-mail them saying the same so you have written proof as well.

Our family bathroom doesnt get really hot due to some child safety gauge that regulates the temperature, a plumber can easily alter it i believe.

Cal x

I thought about that, but just didn't know where I stand with it as I don't want to end up with a bill because they can't be bothered sorting it out. Its so frustrating that this problem is going on for so long, and I am annoyed I took a day off work only for the plumber not to bother turning up. Seems to me they just think they can treat you however they want to.

Probably a "blending valve" installed to bring water temp down for bathroom, either faulty or needs adjusting

That means nothing to me unfortunately, lol. Im guessing that, that shouldn't be a big problem to sort out then?

Guest scrumpy
That means nothing to me unfortunately, lol. Im guessing that, that shouldn't be a big problem to sort out then?

In UK it would cost a call out, and if needed a new blending valve (supply and installed £200-300)

No idea what cost in Oz would be, if your not practically minded then leave well alone and hound the landlord

get citizens advise involved , see if you can claim your days pay from him too , i'd be so annoyed ........NEVER back down to these creeps even if they threaten you with court , happened to us too, they tried to screw us but we never backed down and just before the court case was due they backed down ,they don't want bad publicity .......good luck pal

If it is an *essential* service, you are justified in taking things into your own hands after making reasonable attempts to get the agent to fix it (which you have), the landlord has 14 days to then reimburse you. Also, the agent may have a preferred plumber but they cannot legally make you use them, they can't even write it into your contract. Give them notice in writing that you are going to get someone in and then do it.

There may be a bit of wrangling over whether you have an emergency repair of not (amoungst others, defined as breakdown to hot water), but it's not a total breakdown, rather a partial failure, but geez, 5 weeks later it needs attention.

Thanks for the advice. Well I called and e-mailed the real estate agent and told her what had happened. She then managed to contact both the landlord and plumber and she said he should be here before lunch today. We shall see. I did inform her that I would be calling out my own plumber if he did not attend and she didn't really know what to say about that. I have all records of our communication and every time I handed in the repair request form I also scanned it and e-mailed it. So there can no arguing over dates, etc.

Ironically I have just been sent a feedback form on my real estate agent by their head office. Hmm what to write......

Good news, it seems it's not just in the UK that you have to get on your high horse and threaten things to get people to do the things they should. I'm a landlord in the UK and whilst I only have 3 rentals, no one and I mean no one would go through that or anything similar.

Glad you got it sorted.

I'm not so sure about NSW but I would imagine the regulations on essential utilities will be the same in most, if not all, states. You do have the option to get a plumber to come in and fix the hot water system because it will be classed essential. You do have to do what calNgary said though, you have to inform the agent of the problem and give him/her/it a deadline and inform him that if the problem is not fixed by then that you will be getting in a plumber of your choice and will be presenting him with the bill. The amount you can deduct from the following month's rent. In Victoria, the VCAT presides over these matters and can give you information through the phone. From what I read, AAT or Fair Trading is the NSW equivalent. http://www.aat.gov.au/ OR http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Tenants_and_home_owners.page? If you are concerned about creating a bigger problem, I suggest give AAT or Fair Trading a call and then take it from there.

In UK it would cost a call out, and if needed a new blending valve (supply and installed £200-300)

No idea what cost in Oz would be, if your not practically minded then leave well alone and hound the landlord

We had ours installed the wrong way around (so they said). If it's a new place, or has been newly renovated, it would go on their snagging list. But I assume the guy did it himself, or it's faulty. But it should be really easy (for a plumber) to fix.

I think the value is there for safety to stop children scolding themselves.

Archived