Rent or buy ???

LTD1276

Hi, we have just started the visa process coming over on a 489. We can choose from 3 states so looking for advice on the best states out of the 3 Western, Southern or Victoria. We have to stay in this state for 2 years is it best to rent or buy ?

Also which is the best state for engineering jobs ?

All advice gratefully received

Leigh & Claire :biggrin:

2 years, rent for sure, rent is cheaper than buying in Australia also most people tend to think house prices will stay the same or drop.

Not in Wa mate , if you have a 20 % deposit I reckon they will be the same or buyin less , you just have your rates and **** but rentings a pain esp in Wa rental market which is very tight and the landlords lookin to shove em up soon as they can

I really don't think its worth the hassle of buying for such a short stay.. I haven't got a "home loan" here, so I don't know but I bet you they want to see a few months work history at least so your not going to be buying a house in the first week your here. Factor in it will take a while to find a place you like, win an auction etc.. 6 months would probably have gone by , by the time you move in. Then its only 18months and your going to sell, with all the costs again.... I really cant see how its worth it to buy.

1 week :), but I grew up here then spend 10 years in the midlands UK

Lmfao 1 week , depends on where they are going WA is slowin , it's pretty cool at the moment I can't say for engineering etc I work in steel The firm who bore out bars for us are an engineering firm and the machining side is quiet FIFO if you can get it might be huge best option , I'm sorry. It lookin to buy houses without a job is a bit daft

We fully intend to have a job before we come out - I think we should rent but my partner wants to buy he hates wasting money

We want to stay for more than 2 years but we have to stay for 2 years in the same area before we can move on - hope that explains it a bit more

We fully intend to have a job before we come out - I think we should rent but my partner wants to buy he hates wasting money

We want to stay for more than 2 years but we have to stay for 2 years in the same area before we can move on - hope that explains it a bit more

Unless you have a wedge to put down you will need 6 months employment history , wasting money ? , codswallop. , if you but the sell in 2 years you're looking at 2 lots if stamp duty , then more on the next buy which would be about 15k for the 3 transactions them estate agent fees. You'll be looking at 20 k for a buy, sell and more that's about a years rent hmm should have gone to brainsavers

I think u will decide what to do when you get here, it depends if you have enough money with you to put down, my friend went to look at getting a mortgage, she was told on a $350k property, she would have to put down $50k, and basically in Sydney you will find very little for that price. I would rent, you might not like the area/ oz etc etc.

they did also want her to have worked in the same work place for over a year.

What sort of engineering do you do? It's getting very tight here right now; locally a project management company has gone belly up, half the enviro engineers have been laid off and there certainly isn't the mad grab that there was 2 years ago. Honestly, move wherever you can get a job, rent for a while and later down the track when the industry picks up look at finding your ideal spot and buying.

Wouldn't bother buying, there are high costs buying AND selling a house, and long drawn out processes. Plus, generally, I'd always advise living (& renting) here a year or 2 to decide whether it's a goer. If that's all you're going to be here anyway, don't bother. Lot of cost and risk.

We have to stay in the same state for 2 years then we can apply for permenant residency so we will hopefully be there for a lot longer if all goes well

Have you brought out there ? How long have you been there ?

5 years, we rented for the first 2. We have lived in about 4 suburbs, albeit fairly local ones, we live near family so can't live too far away. I would get to know where you are living for a year or two before you sign for a mortgage otherwise it could end up being an expensive mistake. Might not, but it's a risk all the same.

We would never have bought the house we are in now when we first moved here, it wouldn't have ticked our boxes then. But thankfully we waited and are now pigs in muck.

If you think you will stay it might be best to buy. Because of the increasing number of people coming to live here in Victoria the prices of houses are going up in some areas- not so much in the CBD but around the suburbs. I would look at Victoria rather than SA or WA- it is a lot more developed culturally and also I think the 'attitude' is a bit less prehistoric and macho.

Archived