What is your job/skill?

Guest thomasross20

I am a trained telephone engineer and have been in telecommunications, radio, communications, IT and data networking for the last 20 years in the UK. I have an ONC Telecommunications and a HNC and a HND in Electrical/Electronic engineering. Unfortunately none of these skills are in the slightest demand on the Gold Coast. I have also had to gain an ACA Austel licence at great expense to practice this line of work but it doesn't guarantee work here! Currently have a temporary job fitting radio/cell phones in Gold Coast City Council vehicle fleet.

The wife has been a Primary School teacher for the past 10 years. Unfortunately, there is no demand for full-time teachers on the Gold Coast either! She is currently way down the supply teachers list and currently out of work!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hubby; Degree in automotive engineering

Now working as Production/Engineering Mananger nr Sydney.

Got offered two Jobs last June both prepared to wait til Jan this yr for us to make the move. Lucky I guess.

Me, not much but it was my parents who sponsored us and I'm the main applicant - visas in my name lol so without me he wouldnt be here!

Sam x

Guest leanneandmark

Mark is Regional Project manager for Structured Cabling Networks, (Data, Fibre, copper)

Me ....I make a mean cuppa!! But i really want to go to uni, and train to be dietician. Only time will tell!!

Hubby is a web developer and general geek! :GEEK:But only at work bless him!:biglaugh: I am a full time mummy to our 16 month old daughter :wub:at the moment, with a background in advertising. I want to retrain when we get to Oz and become a sign language translator as we have taught our daughter baby sign language! (She can do nearly 50 signs now, it's fantastic!)

When visiting Melbourne we were amazed that all my cousins and their children could do sign language, apparently they teach sign language in the school as they would French etc.. here. I think its a fantastic idea as not only does it help the death but also if everyone could do sign language then we could all communicate rather than have to learn all the other languages. So good luck with that and you never know you could land yourself a job in a school!!

John, Toni and Guy trained!!! Well we are of to Brissie and will need a good hairdresser as going to miss my one, so ile have to keep track of you and where you are going!

Well us, my Oh going on Regfrigeratiion/Air-conditioning mechanic, and me at the mo a MD for a play centre, hoping to be a lady of leisure and do the Ladies at Lunch thing!! lol

Good luck all with you jobs in Oz

When visiting Melbourne we were amazed that all my cousins and their children could do sign language, apparently they teach sign language in the school as they would French etc.. here. I think its a fantastic idea as not only does it help the death but also if everyone could do sign language then we could all communicate rather than have to learn all the other languages. So good luck with that and you never know you could land yourself a job in a school!!

John, Toni and Guy trained!!! Well we are of to Brissie and will need a good hairdresser as going to miss my one, so ile have to keep track of you and where you are going!

Well us, my Oh going on Regfrigeratiion/Air-conditioning mechanic, and me at the mo a MD for a play centre, hoping to be a lady of leisure and do the Ladies at Lunch thing!! lol

Good luck all with you jobs in Oz

Thanks Kdal, that's really good to know! Looking forward to going even more now!!!

Good luck with everything and the lunching too!:)

Guest carolans

As the signature says - DH is IT Manager and I'm a teacher (in my second career, having spent 15 years as a Mechanical Engineer) - keep thinking of having a third career if we move - but not sure what!:jiggy:

Zoë

Guest thomasross20
I am an Electronics Technician

Qualification

Mining Electrician

H.T.C in Electrical & Electronics Engineering

23 years in electronics Test Technician, customer support etc.

I am still looking for a permanent job in electronics for nearly six months.

I think if you have the exact experience they are looking for you will get a job

But almost it seems is not good enough.

Yeah, I think I have the right quals etc but to get a job in electronics in Oz seems really tough! I am seriously thining about changing career path to electrical/power/consultant.

Guest barnsleydave

I will be moving to Oz to return to Mining Engineering, although I currently run a marble restoration business. OH works in admin - think she will be taking some serious time out when we get there, I may never get her back to work!!!

My OH is a carpet Fitter, and im qualified Nursery Nurse, (NVQ 3, Diploma, & Certificate in child care & education.) But now Mortgage Consultant, chasing arrears, 3 days a week. And mummy 2 an 18 mth old little girl.

Hoping to work part time when eventually get to oz.

Zoe

Guest The Griswolds
come on ladies don't put yourselves down. I would never call a housekeeper a freeloader.

now put ya nickers on and go and make me a nice cup of tea :wub:

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I'm a telecomms project engineer working in the oil & gas industry and the OH is a chef working as a school cook.

Guest scots-in-oz!

I'm a Children's nurse (BN, RNC) & applying under my skills cause I'm the important one!, and hubby's a Stock Control Officer. I want to continue with my nursing once in Oz, Robert wants to do as little as possible! (But I'm not letting him!) He fancies being a postie & driving a moped! lol!

Mags:wubclub:

x

Hubby is pipefitter weder installing large industrial pipes for heating, air con also for oil and gas companies.

I am or was a project worker within mental health and have a degree in social policy, but am now looking to pursue something new and different.

Currently I am a lady who lunches and I love it, I fit that around being a mum to 3 teenage boys.

I am a qualified hairdresser but stopped officially 21 years ago, unofficially about 10 yrs ago

I am am the main applicant - Childcare Coordinator 136 PR visa

I now work in Childcare supporting childminders (have about 400ish under my wing, they don't all ring need support at the same time thank goodness) and managing a Quality assurance scheme for about 40 Childminders who I do see on a reg basis, job description runs to 2 pages and keeps getting added to.

Hubby and kids are the freeloaders LOL

DH is a welder, paint sprayer, works as a fitter, frieght trains

DS has a Computer Science degree

DD (apart from being a pain in the bum at the mo) is waiting to start Uni)

I hope to do a similar job in Oz, already made some good contacts

Hubby would like to be a beach bum, surfer dude (wayyyyyyyy past that one)

Just have to sell the *&^%!!*$%* house (oops that just slipped out)

Hi Gazza,

I was hoping to do data cabling in Brisbane and mybe telephone installation, is the work slow at the moment? what qualifications do you need?

I'm a Children's nurse (BN, RNC) & applying under my skills cause I'm the important one!, and hubby's a Stock Control Officer. I want to continue with my nursing once in Oz, Robert wants to do as little as possible! (But I'm not letting him!) He fancies being a postie & driving a moped! lol!

x

If that's what he wants to do then as soon as you get here he should check out the australia post website, whenever they have vacancies they tend to put online applications on there. That's what my OH did and he loves his job as a postie, zipping along the nature strips on his moped!

Felicity:cute:

Currently work in BCM for a leading bank, worked in disaster recovery before that. I was hoping to start a data cabling company in Australia.

Guest landerson78

Hi all,:notworthy: this is a question from my good friend gill who is also really interested in moving to oz. Her dilema is what visa to apply for? :swoon: Her and her partner have no formal qualifications but have both worked in the care sector for over 7 years. Both them have been health care assistants. Gill has also worked as a physio assistant and now works in the community with adults with learning difficulties and mental health problems, she really loves her job and is very good at it and would like to contiue this.......Any suggestions?:wub:

Lou

Guest scots-in-oz!
If that's what he wants to do then as soon as you get here he should check out the australia post website, whenever they have vacancies they tend to put online applications on there. That's what my OH did and he loves his job as a postie, zipping along the nature strips on his moped!

Felicity:cute:

Thanks for that Felicity!

Yes, he's been checking out the Australia Post website already! Thought he'd look more seriously into it once we have our visa and confirmed a leaving date. Sounds like quite a fun, stress free job!

x

Guest Truckinmick

Ime a truck driver and O/H a childrens community nurse, going on her skills, she wants to go part time and send me to work full time, which will probably happen lol, i have a job to go to so ime kinda lucky.

Archived