It was never going to work for me because......

paul1977

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyday I read the paper on line.. I listen to London radio on line and stream sky via my friends sky go account... Who else does it ..? And should we be doing it...?

Depends. If you have no intention of staying here, I don't see why not. If you really want to make a proper go of it however, then no way.

I listen to London Heart FM through Internet, I look at the Sun daily on my ipad (more for comedy value really) now and again I will look at the telegraph (UK) online. I do also listen to local radio and browse the smh daily too. Should I be doing it? Yeah why not. I'm never going to return to the UK but that doesn't mean I have lost interest. I Still buy pot noodles, Bisto gravy and mushy peas from woollies and every now again I will pop to the Pom shop in Sydney and get a box of Jaffa cakes. Does it make me homesick for England? God no.

Anyone that thinks it wrong should have a word with themselves

I think its nice to keep in touch with whats happening.Does'nt mean you're homesick.I read the news everyday online about Oz,really just to keep up with whats happening because I am interested.I listen to online radio in Oz,cause its the music I grew up with and brings back happy memories.

I read my local paper most days, and have done since coming out here. My OH streams and listens to Absolute Radio when he is out walking the dog. I love UK tv!! We are going back (19 days to go....) but none of the above has had any influence on us heading back. I think if you were massively homesick it would be unsettling tho....

If I listened to Radios 4 or 5 I think I could get homesick quite easily.

Reading a newspaper is different - it's just keeping up

I have, however, noticed that in the past 6 months I'm visiting a forum (a UK bikers one) that I used to spend a lot of time on, very infrequently. I'm not sure how I feel about that tbh. When I go there I don't feel a part of the conversation any more, which is why I guess it's dropping off. It's somewhere I've been since 2000 though, so that's a long time. I know at least 50+ people off it IRL. Feels like I'm losing touch with my friends to some extent. I have made the effort to ensure a night out in London with most of my real friends off the site for when we go back in August

Guest Guest16631
Everyday I read the paper on line.. I listen to London radio on line and stream sky via my friends sky go account... Who else does it ..? And should we be doing it...?

..........of course I miss things from the past......

...........it was a totally different life.......

...........the weather,the culture,the food,the tv...even friends...etc etc......

...........Australia is where I live now.....

...........and has many positives....

.............but why deny myself the things I enjoyed about the uk....?

.............I will often treat myself to something from the English shop......

.............I enjoy English comedy.....

..............I do think a lot of this settling somewhere new......

............is about the poem below...

..............it's about enjoying what I can and do....

..............without attaching a label to it........

...............English chocolate.......Australian prawns....

................cadbury's fry's chocolate cream,..........and king prawns..!

.................an acceptance of where you are.........if you cannot change it.....

.................and enjoy as much as you can..........from everywhere ........

..................as far as possible.......

..................and evolve and change with joy......regret breeds misery...ime

..................to maintain that connection ......how ever tenacious.....

..................is just maintaining that connection.......with who what and where....

...................helped shape who we are.........IMO.......

................to accept the things I cannot change,The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

Guest Guest16631
I'm just wondering if your having a tough time does it pull you back home more..??

.......perhaps it's more about...........association of place.......for me...

.......home being so many different places.....

........and about moments in time......

.........so when unwell.........I feel the pull of where I felt so good within myself....

........when I have family troubles......

.........I feel the pull of where we were ........when life was simple.......the children young and parents with us.....

.........it's human nature ......to look for where we were happy in times of strife.......IMO....

..........it's just accepting........that although we associate places with times.....

..........it's mainly the good we remember......

........(..or horrendously bad...)......but the tedious and mundane.........pale into insignificance with time...!

I think there's a big difference between reading online newspapers/eating Jaffa cakes and listening to online UK radio/watching UK telly.

The latter is more akin to living more there than here, IMO

How do you work that one out?

.......perhaps it's more about...........association of place.......for me...

.......home being so many different places.....

........and about moments in time......

.........so when unwell.........I feel the pull of where I felt so good within myself....

........when I have family troubles......

.........I feel the pull of where we were ........when life was simple.......the children young and parents with us.....

.........it's human nature ......to look for where we were happy in times of strife.......IMO....

..........it's just accepting........that although we associate places with times.....

..........it's mainly the good we remember......

........(..or horrendously bad...)......but the tedious and mundane.........pale into insignificance with time...!

Tink, you are so wise :yes:

How do you work that one out?

I agree with Harpo.....for me watching TV live (or more to the point, listening to the radio as it used to be current affairs progs I'd listen to) would be like eavesdropping on a place I don't live in any more and one that was diverging from my experience/memories of it. When I lived abroad before, it didn't take that long to lose that level of touch and even if you kept up with news, when you got back you were very aware of having been away and having missed things.

I don't want to listen to the radio and remind myself all the time of not being at home. Would prefer to just keep up with news and get on with my life here and pick up "the conversation" again if/when I go back

Guest Guest16631

......I don't agree......harpo and NSP.........

......listening to things about what's happening in a place I am no longer living.....

......is a way of still being connected......

.......it's no different....IMO......than hearing about a new family baby born....

......a cousin/aunt /uncle/father........achieving a goal........becoming ill.........sharing holiday experiences.....

......the queens jubilee.........the Olympic Games.......

.......only heard on the radio......seen on the tv........but I felt a connection....,,.

.......able to partake of the joy and felt the pride of a nation.....

........to cut yourself off from the happenings of a place/people left behind altogether....

........creates a bigger yearning.........a feeling of missing something ...IMO....and ime.....

..........to maintain that connection.......however small........

............helps with that feeling of not being cast adrift........

.............that the safe and familiar is still there.....

................and knowing that feel safer.........moving into unknown territory....

.............often the old then.......will fade into the background......

.............but to push it away.......

..............IMO........leads to that feeling of something lost..........just my thoughts......tink x

It shows how differently people react when faced with the need to adapt to new surroundings: some are comforted by the familiarity of stuff like radio/TV from the old place, others find it unsettling.

I certainly found it unsettling the few times I dabbled with listening 5live online: it made me feel like a voyeur, excluded. I'd rather cut the umbilical cord and get on with living here without constant reminders of where I used to live. Similar psychological effect to the issue of holding onto your UK house vs selling it IMO.

......I don't agree......harpo and NSP.........

......listening to things about what's happening in a place I am no longer living.....

......is a way of still being connected......

.......it's no different....IMO......than hearing about a new family baby born....

......a cousin/aunt /uncle/father........achieving a goal........becoming ill.........sharing holiday experiences.....

......the queens jubilee.........the Olympic Games.......

.......only heard on the radio......seen on the tv........but I felt a connection....,,.

.......able to partake of the joy and felt the pride of a nation.....

........to cut yourself off from the happenings of a place/people left behind altogether....

........creates a bigger yearning.........a feeling of missing something ...IMO....and ime.....

..........to maintain that connection.......however small........

............helps with that feeling of not being cast adrift........

.............that the safe and familiar is still there.....

................and knowing that feel safer.........moving into unknown territory....

.............often the old then.......will fade into the background......

.............but to push it away.......

..............IMO........leads to that feeling of something lost..........just my thoughts......tink x

Guest Guest16631

.....but why not have as much as made/makes you happy as possible,....?

.....I have accepted Australia has changed me......

.....and have become comfortable with my life.....

.....but listening to the BBC.......

......with a cup of tetleys and a hob nob.....lol..

......for me.......revives good memories...

......I feel I am still part of an era I enjoyed.....

.......I still get on with life.....

.......but I like to stay a little connected....

.......to the places and people who helped make who I am....

........perhaps it's an age thing.....

.........as you get older the past becomes more focused......perhaps..?

.........but like the memories scattered throughout my mind....

.........I scatter my life with things I can from all times of it.....

........there is so much more than an umbilical cord that keeps us attached to our mothers......!

Agree with Tink. I never miss watching the BBC world news, particularly, the UK roundup................... and all we watch on TV is British drama and comedy. I watched the first episode of "Empire" on SBS the other night...............loved paxman's cynical/funny repartee with the old "colonial subjects"...................all that viewing, doesn't make me yearn for the place but (thinking in retrospect) just "comforts" me.................the familiarity...............it doesn't detract from my love of my life here, merely adds to it..................makes me feel "blessed" that I've experienced both

There's no right or wrong on this tink is there, it boils down to how it makes you feel. For me, it wasn't a good feeling. That said, I watch plenty of British stuff on ABC/SBS but that's different. The 5live example is maybe different to other radio stations: its a rolling news/current affairs station with frequent travel updates, sports news etc. When I listened to it on holiday in the UK last year, I felt instantly 'plugged in', whereas listening to it here, as I said, feels weird..almost ghoulish

.....but why not have as much as made/makes you happy as possible,....?

.....I have accepted Australia has changed me......

.....and have become comfortable with my life.....

.....but listening to the BBC.......

......with a cup of tetleys and a hob nob.....lol..

......for me.......revives good memories...

......I feel I am still part of an era I enjoyed.....

.......I still get on with life.....

.......but I like to stay a little connected....

.......to the places and people who helped make who I am....

........perhaps it's an age thing.....

.........as you get older the past becomes more focused......perhaps..?

.........but like the memories scattered throughout my mind....

.........I scatter my life with things I can from all times of it.....

........there is so much more than an umbilical cord that keeps us attached to our mothers......!

Archived