Best part of Melbourne to live

terryburns13

Hi :)

Me and my girlfriend are looking to come to australia just after christmas, were both in our early 20s and just would like some advice which part of melbourne would be mist suited to a couple that like eat out (once or twice a week) enjoy a bit nightlife has some decent beaches and doesnt cost you the world to live there we have a budget off around 350 - 450 dollars a week for rental? is this something that can be done on this sort of budget

Cheers Terry

Early twenties I would live close to the CBD in areas which are popular with young couples and singles. Fitzroy, Brunswick, South Yarra , Prahran, bit further out Elwood, Southbank have a look on realestate.com.au. Join the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this forum, good luck

Have a look at Williamstown. Close to the city , beach, village feel, plenty of places to eat and drink, great views back to the city, train to get you home if you are out in the city. Everyone forgets it because it's the other side of the bay to where most people on here live. And it will just fit in your budget for a 2 bedder.

St Kilda wins, hands down...much more reasonably priced than other areas in Melbourne, right by the beach, amazing laid back vibe, tons of places to eat and to go out, loads of young and interesting people and an amazing beach. I have not seen any place that beats it...check it out, you won't be disappointed.

thanks for all the messages back il look at each one:) im from a place in the uk called Newcastle looking for something quite similar nightlife,friendlyness etc etc but obvs with the aussie lifestyle! how much is the monthly cost on average in melbourne? rent/bills/mobile/travel expenses/ couple nights out a month? any help would be mint:)

Melbourne is not like Newcastle. Melbourne has nearly 5 million people! But if you want to have that buzz, the St Kilda suggestion is good. You can search for property on http://www.realestate.com.au which basically lists all of the rentals available. You will need to search by suburb name, not "Melbourne" which will give you just properties in the CBD.

Good luck!

I'm from Middlesbrough so fairly close to you, been in Melbourne for 3 weeks.

I was after something quite similar to you, I'm in Brighton. Beautiful beaches, there's a train station and tram.

St Kilda is great but you will pay for it, although you have planned a budget for rental be aware that it is very expensive cost of living compared to the north east of England!

I'm from Middlesbrough so fairly close to you, been in Melbourne for 3 weeks.

I was after something quite similar to you, I'm in Brighton. Beautiful beaches, there's a train station and tram.

St Kilda is great but you will pay for it, although you have planned a budget for rental be aware that it is very expensive cost of living compared to the north east of England!

Ahh how you finding it so far!?

yeaaa ive been reading up on it and its meant to be quite a shock to the system how much it costs to live out there! have you managed to find work etc? alot better than boro? lol

Cheers Terry

Hey terry!

On the employment front it's amazingly better than the north east, I had a job within a week of looking.

I mainly used http://www.seek.com.au but there's loads of other ways!

It is a shock to the system but you also generally get paid more, the average wage is about $20 for general work that would be minimum in UK.

The most important thing of all, is to remember regardless of money like the cost of living etc - it is such a nicer way of life and a amazing experience. Just enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...
Have a look at Williamstown. Close to the city , beach, village feel, plenty of places to eat and drink, great views back to the city, train to get you home if you are out in the city. Everyone forgets it because it's the other side of the bay to where most people on here live. And it will just fit in your budget for a 2 bedder.

although I live in Perth my sis in law lives in Williamstown, Melbourne. It's 30 mins to the city by train and is a really quaint area. Lots of houses with cottage style gardens which you don't see much of in OZ and its on a inlet close to where the Yarra River meets the Ocean. We love to visit

Archived