457 visa, do I need a medical and insurance?

SKJB

Hi all,

I'm just asking for a bit of clarification on whether I need a medical or health insurance when applying for the 457 visa?

My partner and I are both from the UK, a low risk country. My partner will be sponsored as an electrician and I will work as a dive instructor. Does anyone know whether we will still be asked to have a medical examination or an Xray? If so we'd rather do it before we lodge the application to save time.

We also have a valid medicare card. Will this be enough in terms of medical insurance, or should we look for

more comprehensive medical insurance?

Thanks very much in advance for your replies! I'm new to this!

Hi, I am here on a 457 visa with my wife who is a nurse, and like yourself I am a scuba diving instructor. She was required to undergo a medical, whereas I didn't have to have one. Insurance wise, we had to provide details of insurance for travel and the first few days when we arrived until we signed up for Medicare cards. So you will need to get something in the meantime to cover that - only costs about 100 quid or so.

hope this helps

where you moving to??

Hi there

I think it depends on the job you will be doing or who the main applicant is and they have to have one?! Anyhow my hubbie did. Cost £150. You can't do it until you've submitted your application though as it is all done electronically and it can only be done at certain places. When you book it they need your visa app reference.

​i had insurance with HSBC through my bank account and that met 457 standards

We didn't need a medical for our 457 visa - DH had one for the company but I don't think it had any link to the immigration requirements.

We just got 21 day emigration insurance but I would assume that as you have a valid Medicare card that would be sufficient as the insurance was only to cover us UNTIL we got Medicare. Hope you can find out for sure.

Thanks for the replies!

We're moving up to Queensland, Cairns, so fingers crossed it all works out! There's quite a lot of paperwork!!!!!

Good luck to all

Are you in Australia already? I'm guessing so if you already have a Medicare card. If so, if you do need a medical then you can have it done in advance.

• 3 months later...