What is the situation with claiming Super back when you move back to UK?

Paco71

Peach is correct

You cant claim with a perm visa even though a per visa expires after 5 years. You still have to wait till you retire.

With all the deductions over the years for running your fund you wont get anything back worth while filling out the paperwork for. This is the same everywhere though, you cant draw a pension till your 67 now in the UK.

I moved from London to Melbourne with a PR visa in February but plan on going back around Easter next year. It's alright here but the main things pulling me back to London are...

- Friends and family

- The price of everything, even rent. I earn slightly more in Australia but always seem to have much less money at the end of the month.

- Things to do...not many places will comapre to London in that respect though.

- The weather...I know its colder in England but buildings have heating and insulation.

Just making the most of it and looking forward to the summer and ashes for now.

• 2 weeks later...
If it's a sizeable amount get your accountant to set up a self managed super fund which will qualify as an ADF, which is "approved deposit fund". and transfer your existing fund to it. If you have no plans to return to Australia just take it with you. I would.

Good idea if it can be done, has anyone out there actually done this? What would be classed as a 'sizeable amount' - $10k? $50k?

If it wasnt for the fees/charges eating away at any gains your fund might make whilst in Aussie Super I would be tempted just to leave it where it is until retirement. But factor in inflation and youre going to be left with nowt or next to nowt so if there are any ways to transfer super to a UK pension fund (whilst on a permanent visa) would be good to hear how.

I've called the superannuation funds I have, and also the Government clearing house and unless you are in dire financial problems ( ie about to have a house repossessed) you can not claim super back until retirement age. Best bet is to find a safeish one forget about it until then.

Only if you are a temporary resident or on a working holiday visa. The Government changed the rules a couple of years back.

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

Does anyone know what the definition of 'permanently departed' is. I was on WHV and am hoping to go back on a partner visa. Can I still claim my super even though I know I will hopefully be going back on a different type of visa? I am offshore, visa has expired and no other visa granted at this point.

Thanks!

Apparently......according to a Brit I met in Oz, the whole you-can't-get-your-super-back-on-a-permanent-visa is a load of rubbish.

he reckons if you cancel your P.R and say you will never return (on that visa) you can get it all back...

it's worth a try....has anyone tried it?

you can definitely get payments back that you paid whilst a temporary resident, even if you ended up on a P.R visa.

I've called the superannuation funds I have, and also the Government clearing house and unless you are in dire financial problems ( ie about to have a house repossessed) you can not claim super back until retirement age. Best bet is to find a safeish one forget about it until then.

Only if you are a temporary resident or on a working holiday visa. The Government changed the rules a couple of years back.

Just read this....fair enough

my source was wrong about everything else he ever said, so no surprise he got this wrong as well

• 7 months later...
And if you have to leave it here till you reach retirement age, you get the whole lot back completely tax-free. :-)

Just seen this. We are mid 50s, dual nationality as we got citizenship about 8 yrs ago and thinking of retiring in about five years. Seriously thinking of returning to UK. So are you sure we could take the lot out of super and take it back to UK tax free???

Just seen this. We are mid 50s, dual nationality as we got citizenship about 8 yrs ago and thinking of retiring in about five years. Seriously thinking of returning to UK. So are you sure we could take the lot out of super and take it back to UK tax free???

You can't take it out until you reach retirement age in Australia..

If you are over retirement age (currently 60) you can take your superannuation out tax-free. This is regardless of whether you take a pension or a lump sum.

http://www.australiansuper.com/tools-and-resources/questions-and-answers/superannuation-faqs/fees-and-tax/do-i-have-to-pay-tax-on-lump-sum-withdrawals.aspx

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/In-detail/Receiving-benefits/Withdrawing-your-super-and-paying-tax/?anchor=How_tax_applies_to_your_super#If_you_are_60_years_old_or_more

Of course, as soon as you put the money somewhere else (a UK or Australian bank account or some other investment) then any subsequent earnings are taxed in the usual way.

Edited by NickyNook

Double check this. The super is tax free only if you are resident in Aus. If you are resident in UK it will be taxed as income like a UK pension is.

I'm sure this has come up before with people wanting to retire back to the UK.

Yes, quite right - but you can take all your super out at age 60 as a tax-free lump sum whilst still an Australian resident. Then you move to the UK with all the loot.

The UK will, of course, tax any income generated from said lump sum but it won't tax the lump sum itself.