Dentists?

Dan Jade

Yes...I can imagine...although I'm trying hard not to! :wink:

There's another thread for you Love Shoes: "Which occupation/s would you least like to do?"

I think dentist would be top of my list, closely followed by police officer.

I can think of a worse one. When we were on holiday in the USA we were in a pharmacy and my husband happened to see another Brit giggling by the thermometer section. On wandering over the chap showed him an anal thermometer. On the packaging it said, "Each one individually tested". Now that job has to be the worst one in the world and the job I would least like to do :laugh:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we first moved here my wife was told that she needed work which would cost several thousand dollars. She went to another dentist a couple of hundred yards away who said she needed two fillings and did them for a couple of hundred dollars.

5 years later her teeth are still fine and her new dentist has not done any further work.

Shop around and get more than one opinion.....there are some rip off merchants around

Guest chris955

There are some in every walk of life that try and take advantage, fortunately the majority will do the right thing.

Time to say something positive about Dentists. I had a horrible phobia of them for many years due to poor care as a child..... and a very scary old Dentist.

However,the Dentist I have had in Australia for the past few years ( actually my children see him and I slowly built up confidence) managed to help me get about 80% over it and as a result my teeth have never been so good.

My children don't see the school Dentist as appointments are only available every 18 months and I think that is way too long between visits for a child.

I would rather pay for them to have good dental care and so have great adult teeth than not - though at times it has been very hard to find the money.

The price is truly horrendous ( sorry),but my kids do have great teeth and mine are certainly better than before....and so is my anxiety when I walk through the door.

Does anybody else think that Dentists are a hundred times better than they were in their childhood?

Time to say something positive about Dentists. I had a horrible phobia of them for many years due to poor care as a child..... and a very scary old Dentist.

However,the Dentist I have had in Australia for the past few years ( actually my children see him and I slowly built up confidence) managed to help me get about 80% over it and as a result my teeth have never been so good.

My children don't see the school Dentist as appointments are only available every 18 months and I think that is way too long between visits for a child.

I would rather pay for them to have good dental care and so have great adult teeth than not - though at times it has been very hard to find the money.

The price is truly horrendous ( sorry),but my kids do have great teeth and mine are certainly better than before....and so is my anxiety when I walk through the door.

Does anybody else think that Dentists are a hundred times better than they were in their childhood?

Yes, but I did like the gas, my Dad used to take me to the school clinic, and I had to count to 10 or sheep I think it was, whilst they administered the lovely gas, then after my little ordeal my Dad would take me over the road for a lovely ice cream .....

It has improved, immensely, I have never been frightened of the dentist chair, needle or bill for that matter, in fact I do enjoy it, I have had quite a bit of restorative work done over the years, some of it is now getting to the stage were it needs replacing, mainly because of the way it looks ... like many on here, I feel that dental treatment is very important and necessary to good health, dentists can spot oral cancers, which we can't, and routine dental care is essential, ....

We have moved location recently and I just couldn't bring myself to find a new Dentist yet, so I drove four hours there and four hours back during the holidays for our check ups....I think I need help finding a new one ( a very kind one)! South of the River, Perth, if anyone has any recommendations.

Edited by Sammy1

Yes, but I did like the gas, my Dad used to take me to the school clinic, and I had to count to 10 or sheep I think it was, whilst they administered the lovely gas, then after my little ordeal my Dad would take me over the road for a lovely ice cream .....

It has improved, immensely, I have never been frightened of the dentist chair, needle or bill for that matter, in fact I do enjoy it, I have had quite a bit of restorative work done over the years, some of it is now getting to the stage were it needs replacing, mainly because of the way it looks ... like many on here, I feel that dental treatment is very important and necessary to good health, dentists can spot oral cancers, which we can't, and routine dental care is essential, .... [/size]

I hated gas! It gave me nightmares and I have never forgotton that horrible feeling.

Ours used to give us sweets for behaving when we were little. They don't any more. I don't look forward to going to the dentist any more. Somehow, a sticker just doesn't cut it :biggrin:

When I was 6 the dentist gave me 2 shillings for not crying when he had to pull a tooth out.

I still don't cry but dentists don't give me money either, nowadays. :rolleyes:

I hated gas! It gave me nightmares and I have never forgotton that horrible feeling.

Funny how we remember things like that, it is the ice cream I remember more :wink: we didn't have lot's of money so it was a huge treat, I will never forget the smell though, rubber .....

There are some in every walk of life that try and take advantage, fortunately the majority will do the right thing.

I paid privately in 2003 for a lower left porcelain bridge, it was fitted two days before Christmas and over the Christmas holidays it came out when I was eating a hot pot, so as soon as the holidays were over, I rang the dentist, got an appointment, and took it back in ..... he cleaned it up a bit I.e., removed the cement, then aspirated the area where it was from, painted over the bridge after trying his best to smooth where I had bitten it .. then re cemented it back into my mouth.

Really he should have remade it, it never felt right, the bite was too high in the first place which caused me to break it off ..... I have a very difficult bite which I can't explain ... but my teeth cave in on the upper quadrant .....

Guest JK2510

When I was in junior school probably 8 or 9 the school dentist used to visit,if there were issues you would get referred to the clinic for treatment...now that's where my fear all began...thanks to HIM, I was told my teeth were growing too close together so around 6 teeth had to be removed,I had the odd tooth out before and hated the gas mark,so my mum said she arranged for an injection rather than the dreadful mask...so with that I was quite happy to visit the dentist for the 6 tooth extractions...and the mask appeared the dentist pinned me down mask on my face...a midnight visit to a and e soon followed due to the blood I was losing...needless to say I have only attended for 3 sets of treatment since then...I am now 35 and have been very fortunate not to have big issues with my teeth.

I do still get a little worried when I visit the dentist.

It's a pity that somebody like Denplan don't try to move into Australia.

This is a monthly payment plan, one payment covers two check ups a year, two scale and polishes a year, all fillings, root fillings, X Rays, extractions, and worldwide accident cover.........and they pay the dentist directly and promptly with no excess.

The only additional bills were for items made in the Dental Laboratory, crowns, bridges, veneers, dentures etc. The patient paid the Lab Bill only, and the smarter ones went and collected the job and paid cash on the spot, prices, pure porcelain crowns about £45, bonded crowns about £75, gold crowns about £60 if 66% gold, if 45% about £30, bridges as per crowns per unit plus about £30, dentures about £120 either a full set, or a partial chrome.

How much did I charge my patients a month for this, about £25 for adults, with 10% overall discount for a couple, and a further 5% for any children.................of any age, as long as it was all on one payment.

Mind you, I didn't use to always charge my NHS pensioners anything for their yearly check ups, but that's another story for another day.

I might be a greedy ba****d, but only when there is beer in the fridge. That's why I get so antsy when people query the fees, especially when they have little, or no understanding of the demands, or the economics of the job.

Doctors, Dentists, and Farmers remain top of the league for suicide, alcohol and drug abuse, so it appears that not only do you start earning late, but you finish earning early as well.

When I was in junior school probably 8 or 9 the school dentist used to visit,if there were issues you would get referred to the clinic for treatment...now that's where my fear all began...thanks to HIM, I was told my teeth were growing too close together so around 6 teeth had to be removed,I had the odd tooth out before and hated the gas mark,so my mum said she arranged for an injection rather than the dreadful mask...so with that I was quite happy to visit the dentist for the 6 tooth extractions...and the mask appeared the dentist pinned me down mask on my face...a midnight visit to a and e soon followed due to the blood I was losing...needless to say I have only attended for 3 sets of treatment since then...I am now 35 and have been very fortunate not to have big issues with my teeth.

I do still get a little worried when I visit the dentist.

Believe me the gas was even more frightening when I was the young dental student on the other side. What the lectures told us was greet the patient and the parent, check the medical history, examine the patient. In reality, patient walks in, experienced anaesthetist gets nurse to walk Mum straight to recovery room, he might ask on the way "general health OK Mum?" Then he gets kid to sit on seat, just try this wind for size, and on went the gas. As soon as kid was asleep he would say.....................patient anaesthetised, 100% oxygen, get on with it sunny!!!

And he meant me!

I also knew a Cuban Dentist who had worked in the bush in Zimbabwe. Apparently it's really bad. She would rock up to a village, there would be 200 patients or so to see, all extractions, little anaesthetic, and one set of forceps. But boy could she take teeth out. Oh yeh, and she said they sat on tree stumps, or benches, and she always ran out of anaesthetic.

Edited by The Fisheys

• 3 weeks later...

I think you must have to go for a dentist to take complete treatment of your teeth. But for the other peoples i have some basic tips about his teeth. First is that i read somewhere that the mixture of lemon juice, salt with tooth paste is most effective for your teeth. It's make your teeth strong and also white and shiny. Must try it.

First is that i read somewhere that the mixture of lemon juice, salt with tooth paste is most effective for your teeth. It's make your teeth strong and also white and shiny. Must try it.

Toothpaste hasn't been around for that long...my dad grew up brushing his teeth with salt or baking soda and has still got a pearly white set at 80 yrs old.

It's no secret that that the toothpaste that makes your teeth feel really clean is the one with bicarbonate of soda in it..

Modern toothpaste has fluoride in though, which makes a difference to daily use...we eat a lot more sugar these days.

• 2 weeks later...
I think you must have to go for a dentist to take complete treatment of your teeth. But for the other peoples i have some basic tips about his teeth. First is that i read somewhere that the mixture of lemon juice, salt with tooth paste is most effective for your teeth. It's make your teeth strong and also white and shiny. Must try it.

NO NO NO NO NO and AGAIN NO:arghh:

bev (qualified tooth fixer, oz bound Sept 2013)