Landed in Brisbane on 28th April!! Already got a rental

So me my oh and our two boys set of from the UK and landed in Brisbane @ 9pm on 28th....We had booked into a holiday apartment for 3 weeks, so was panicking that we would not find a Rental in time.

We have applied for our Drivers licence and received the paper with the number on it!!! is a vital part of moving over to OZ as you need to use it for rentals etc!!! Started looking around for property, we saw some that we like and as they put the add on the site you can drive round and take a look before calling estate agent... We viewed a few but they were not us!!! last night we viewed one which we love.... Filled the forms in today and took paperwork and ID back to agents!! 2 pm got a call that we have been accepted.

Very excited now :wink:

Always good to be settled. Just so you know though, you don't HAVE to have an Aussie licence to get a rental. It works on a points basis and you can get points for lots of different things. :-)

I didn't get my Aussie licence until I had been here five years. :-D

That is more for others reading this's benefit than for you, just that lots of people read but don't post.

Guest guest76088

Nice.

BigD

What's Brisbane like?..Thinking about moving there myself in next 2 years.

Thanks

That's really good news, well done, I bet you are all breathing a sigh of relief now. I hope you love it there.

I'm planning on Brisbane in autumn this year, already worrying about the rental situation, so your story makes me feel a little more relieved.

dxboz thank you it will be nice not rushing round now lol

CalNgary we are renting in shailer park and after 6 mths if we like it we may buy here or other option Cornubia!!

Blossom79 yes i know you dont need licence for rental depending on what other id you have but its deffo a great way to gain points required as i am a house mum its my other half that works but i still needed the points to apply. every estate agents criteria is different too.. I was kinda just stating even tho you dont get you licence that day you walk away with a paper copy.

cara6 I love the place its so cosmo so much to see and do, we are going to be living 25 mins south of Brisbane as we have family and prefenot to be in the hustle and bustle. still plenty to do sown at shailer park tho.

joeybee Deffo feel better for finding a house more so as we want to settle the boys into school asap so they can start making friends!! not cool to be hanging with your mum and dad 24 7 lol,, I read as much as i could on here before we went over so i was aware of how things kinda worked but even then some of the lingo is very different but everyone so helpful. As for Suburbs I was looking on realestate for i came out to give me an idead of what type of house i liked and read up on the area. i also used streetafvisor,au im not sure how accurate it is as it is only peoples opinions but you kinda get the message, but really need to choose Suburb which is right for you, also dependant on how far from CBD.. Good luck with the move

Always good to be settled. Just so you know though, you don't HAVE to have an Aussie licence to get a rental. It works on a points basis and you can get points for lots of different things. :-)

I didn't get my Aussie licence until I had been here five years. :-D

That is more for others reading this's benefit than for you, just that lots of people read but don't post.

For the same reason as Blossom, just to say that we didn't get a QLD license for more than a year, only did it in the end because PR visa dictates we must after three months.

• 3 months later...
Guest The Pom Queen
Just stumbled on this thread as I was doing some research. Do you have any details of the points system you've mentioned? What things get you points? And how much is needed for a rental? Thanks

Lol just saw the title saying the arrived in April and have already got a rental, I was going to say 4 months isn't the norm.

It may be worth starting a new thread if no one replies.

Archived