Vegetarianism in Australia

ghostgirl

No, you're right. It used to say something which has appeared many times on PIO. Interesting censorship, that.

If it involved micturition, then put away the tinfoil hat....the swear filter is an automatic one. Other things get censored too, eg the common name for birds from the genus Paridae, a few more obvious ones, and, bizarrely, the abbreviation for "Football Club"

Many have got around it, of course, by substituting a "1" for "i"

Guest Guest 47403
I made the substitution, as have many others on PIO. That was censored too.:rolleyes:

Selective censorship I guess, perhaps you haven't done enough back slapping in the past!

Being vegetarian in Aus has improved somewhat since we were vegos - in those days it was Sanitarium or nothing (not fabulous if you were gluten intolerant) and in a restaurant you might get a plate of vegetables as an option if you asked for no meat - a creative chef might stretch to an omelette but the cheese would have definitely had rennet. Anyway, these days there is usually at least one vegetarian option on any restaurant menu and you can actually get Quorn in Coles now I believe. SDAs often have stalls or maybe even shops and they are vegetarian by religion (Seventh Day Adventists) so the local SDA community might be a good resource (Sanitarium is SDA)

Barbies are a nightmare - yes you can take your skewers or mock meat bangers and some kind soul will cook them for you - in the fat from their snags and don't stand own wind of a barbie you'll smell like charred burgers for weeks. We always seemed to encounter less tolerance for our vegetarianism at barbies than anywhere else - just good natured banter of course but this was many years ago so maybe people have matured somewhat.

Labelling has improved over the last few years but isn't as good as I have encountered here in UK. Still very few vegetarian restaurants in Aus - in Canberra we actually had more back in the hippy 70s than there are now.

You will find farmers markets for produce and there are food co-ops about the place where you can get your lentils, beans, grains in bulk but you might need to hunt about for them.

Having vego kids wasn't easy but these days schools are more tuned in to different dietary preferences due to peanut allergies and religious affiliations so they can accommodate vegetarian alternatives where necessary.

Guest littlesarah
Barbies are a nightmare - yes you can take your skewers or mock meat bangers and some kind soul will cook them for you - in the fat from their snags and don't stand own wind of a barbie you'll smell like charred burgers for weeks. We always seemed to encounter less tolerance for our vegetarianism at barbies than anywhere else - just good natured banter of course but this was many years ago so maybe people have matured somewhat.

I'm not veggie, but I do ensure that any vegetarian guests are provided with some proper (i.e. not processed) food, cooked either in foil (double or triple wrapped to be safe) on a corner of the grill, or on an entirely separate BBQ. I don't why anyone would think that cooking veggies with meat would be acceptable to anyone who doesn't eat meat! My mind boggles, sometimes, it really does...

I'm not veggie, but I do ensure that any vegetarian guests are provided with some proper (i.e. not processed) food, cooked either in foil (double or triple wrapped to be safe) on a corner of the grill, or on an entirely separate BBQ. I don't why anyone would think that cooking veggies with meat would be acceptable to anyone who doesn't eat meat! My mind boggles, sometimes, it really does...

Ah but you're not an Aussie bloke are you? LOL

oh this brings me to another point... I am predicting that I will fall head over heels in love with Australia & want to stay, and am more than willing to get my hands dirty doing the required farming work to extend my WHV, but I absolutely could not work in any environment that contributed to the meat industry, is there any way to avoid this?

Dairy farming?

Sheep farming?

Just dotn ask where the old ones go

Does it have to be farm work? What about shop work or pub work or something like that? You could work in Canberra- there are a lot of vegetables there.

it has to be 'specified work' which mostly means farming although some kinds of construction in regional areas counts.

Thank you so much for that shopping guide! I've been doing my research about animal tested cosmetics/products too, there seem to be loads of animal friendly brands.

I really don't think I am cut out for construction, I will just stick to the farming!

Guest Ptp113
Does it have to be farm work? What about shop work or pub work or something like that? You could work in Canberra- there are a lot of vegetables there.

There are. The Capital Region hosts the countries best farmers market and organic farming and co-ops are numerous.

There are. The Capital Region hosts the countries best farmers market and organic farming and co-ops are numerous.

Unfortunately, ACT is not classified as regional for WHV purposes. I think Starlight had tongue firmly in cheek when referring to Canberra's vegetables (many of which are imported from other states of course LOL)

Archived