Has anyone left their old dog behind ( i mean the canine variety haha)

alana rose rae

Hi there, we or should i say "I" am in a bit of an emotional mess. My hubby says thats it's better 2 leave our 13 year old furry baby behind as he'd stay with his gran and be happy and not be stressed out with the whole flight and being in quarantine for 1 month. Whereas my vet reckons that my boy is fit and healthy and isn't like a 13 year old. I can't cope with the thought of leaving him behind (although he loves his gran and will be spoilt). I also couldn't live with myself if he didn't make the journey. Has anyone left their 13 year old dog at home and if so how is he coping without you?

I know it sounds silly but in my mind he'll be wondering where i've gone. HELP!

When we were going to move to new zealand this is what we were going to have to do. He was going to stay with his gran aswell, think he prefers it there! We didnt go though.

If you feel he can make the journey safely and that you'd settle better then bring him. If not then try not feel too guilty, he'll have a good life with your family. Its not like your dumping him in the kennels although i know its still incredibly hard

Poor you.....poor dog! That's a hard one and sorry I don't know what I would do. We have a 5 month old puppy who is adorable I know that after such a very short time in our family I would have difficulty leaving him behind! Best of luck with your decision.

Dog - no, although we have rehomed one once. Cat - yes. Our cat was 18 when we were coming out here and we just thought trying to move her over was too much stress all round along with everything else. So she lives with good friends of ours and their kids (who'd always wanted a pet, but their mum was worried about their long term commitment). Works all round.....she's still going strong BTW

The dog will be fine with being rehomed. Lots of dog owners would like to think their dog will pine away without them, but they (dogs) don't work like that. So long as they have a pack they will adapt pretty quickly. It's the humans who might get unbearably emotional about the separation

We rehomed our dog with my parents. He was a lap dog and needed constant attention and quarantine would not have been good for him. He settled in with my parents quite quickly and loves his life with them. We miss him desperately but he doesn't give us a thought and that is how it should be.

We rehomed our dog with my parents. He was a lap dog and needed constant attention and quarantine would not have been good for him. He settled in with my parents quite quickly and loves his life with them. We miss him desperately but he doesn't give us a thought and that is how it should be.

Exactly that. That's how it is with dogs

I agree with the other two posters. As much as some people might make others feel guilty for rehoming their dog I think its the owners that mostly have a harder time than the pet. I know this because we rehomed lucy from a family, she was sad for a few days but then it was as if she had been with us forever! Also when they go stay with other people when we go on holiday they dont really pine either. As long as theres food, walks, a few cuddles I think they would stay with anyone lol.

I think living with gran would be a great home for your dog if you decide to not bring, she's not a stranger and like you say - she'll spoil him! I know its not a easy choice but at least you know your mum will give your dog a great retirement home

Just have a good think about it, if the vet thinks your dogs health is good then i would think the risks of anything happened on flight are minimal. Are they okay travelling in the car etc and do they cope fine with loud noises?

To be honest, if it were me, I'd take him. If he's 13 but still going strong I'm guessing he isn't a big dog like a Lab or anything? If he's healthy in mind and in body, why not?

That said, if you decided to rehome him to your gran, I doubt he would suffer. He already knows her, he's already familiar with her, and he would likely only pine for you for a short time (less if he isn't prone to seperation anxiety).

I'm shipping my dog, but she's only three, she's not going to suffer with the flight (she's crate-trained) and though I know she will pine for me in kennels, she will get over it. We've been through too much together for me to leave her behind, and I had to fight tooth and nail to bring her with me, so basically if she doesn't go, I don't go!

I've moved this to the Pets forum.

Also perhaps post in the Pet Air area of the forum and ask Bob about shipping older dogs. I am sure he has experience in this and has posted about doing so in the past in reply to people.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/shipping-pets-ask-pet-air/

And what others have said, if your vet says your dog is fit and well and all is good and you want to take him, why not.

Thanks everyone for your points of view. I keep yo-yoing back and forward, BUT, today he was getting his haircut and the groomer had to put him in an open pen, like a kids playpen, for a few minutes, and he was yelping and ripping the newspaper that was on the floor. He hates being cooped up. Think thats made up my mind. You are right, it is harder for us than it will be for him and i just needed to get others to verify that for me. Just the past few months he has started to hate being in the car if i drive more than 40mph which never used to bother him before, so i suppose thats another issue. I want to take him for selfish reasons, so as long as i know he won't pine for us,which he didn't do when we did our reccie for 4 weeks, then i think it'd be in his best interest to stay wi his gran:sad:. Thanks again everyone.

Does he usually do that?

Its always a hard decision, at least you've gave it a good hard think and you have a excellent home waiting for him. I know it sounds cheesy but maybe gran mum will be glad he's coming to stay, so she's still got a peace of you still here if that makes sense? Thats what my oh's mum was like lol she said we could move anywhere we wanted but eric was coming to stay with her!

The other good thing is that she can send you regular updates and could even put him on skype for you if you wanted lol (some might think thats crazy - i dont!)

It's good that you've thought it through, it'd be awful to put him through something at his age that he couldn't cope with, he's more than earned a place beside the fire and I'm sure he doesn't mind which fire he's next to.

When we moved over, we rehoused our West Highland White, he was 9 years old. We used a society called Westie Rescue, they were really great and he went to a good home.

The reason for leaving him in the UK was the stress of moving on him and the climate change. Another thing to bear in mind is the ability to find rental accommodation that will accept pets.

When we moved over, we rehoused our West Highland White, he was 9 years old. We used a society called Westie Rescue, they were really great and he went to a good home.

The reason for leaving him in the UK was the stress of moving on him and the climate change. Another thing to bear in mind is the ability to find rental accommodation that will accept pets.

I completely agree with this. We're currently still waiting on our visa to come through but have started the ball rolling with rehoming our English Bull Terrier. You are fortunate that your 'old dog' will be going to someone who they know. Many people will say that dogs are pack animals and they won't pine for you (I'd agree with them too) but knowing that your dog is with someone you trust and is looked after, not to mention you're able to have a certain element of one way contact (Facebook photos) goes a long way.

It's heartbreaking to give up a member of the family, (let's face it they are our kids), but the stress is going to be unbearable enough for you with the big move, think adjusting to the climate, finding a rental, neighbours, unknown predators / prey is not worth it for such an old dog.

Your dog will not know the feral animals as much as it would here, poisonous animals etc. Curiosity is not a nice thing.

You're making the right decision, their are many pros and cons, but unfortunately for myself the cons far outweigh the pros as I'm sure you're also aware. I have the added stipulation that my dog "appears" to be a dangerous dog, in reality she's a stupid softy (we were burgled twice, she let them in and may as well have made them a coffee!!) I wouldn't want to have that stigma hanging over me whilst trying to fit in.

On the other hand, my dog loves the sun, unbelievable really, she bathes in it all day long (the rare two hours a year we have it) she'd love Oz, I wouldn't love the damage to her skin etc.

What ever decision you make, know that it's the right decision. Consider your options and how it will affect not only your dog but you.

Things to consider;

Quarantine and it's psychological effects on your dog

The moment your dog sees you on the other side

Long walks on the beach / in the forests

Sunburn, heat stroke, risk of animal attacks

Also that one constant.... Money. You will need all the money you can get, the most unlikely things will need money set aside. (My latest was to remember to add cutlery to my list of new purchases on the other side). It will cost a small fortune to put your dog through a lot off stress.

Good Luck

Aaron x

On the other hand, my dog loves the sun, unbelievable really, she bathes in it all day long (the rare two hours a year we have it) she'd love Oz, I wouldn't love the damage to her skin etc.

Last year, one of our cats, had both ears removed because of skin cancer . Looks like a Teddy bear now.

Hi there, we or should i say "I" am in a bit of an emotional mess. My hubby says thats it's better 2 leave our 13 year old furry baby behind as he'd stay with his gran and be happy and not be stressed out with the whole flight and being in quarantine for 1 month. Whereas my vet reckons that my boy is fit and healthy and isn't like a 13 year old. I can't cope with the thought of leaving him behind (although he loves his gran and will be spoilt). I also couldn't live with myself if he didn't make the journey. Has anyone left their 13 year old dog at home and if so how is he coping without you?

I know it sounds silly but in my mind he'll be wondering where i've gone. HELP!

Personally ,i couldnt do it .....my best mate is 5 and part of the family .....he would give me his life .....i could never leave him .....i left 2 cats in oz , that was BLOODY HARD .....but to me dogs are on a different level

All countries have threats to animals, here in the UK my dogs could be stalked by foxes but I take precaution. I'm sorry but I don't see any valid reasoning to leave a healthy, heat-adaptable dog at home if you can afford to bring it and it would be up for the journey and lifestyle. Here in the UK it can be hard to find a pet friendly rental; doesn't stop anyone having dogs. Sunburn can happen here too, you just need sunscreen and to be sensible about when you walk your dog, and where. Of course they won't know the new animals but that's what I'm there for, I'm not about to let my dog go wandering without me. Yes it costs a lot of money to put your dog through a stressful journey away from his owners, but for many dogs are for life, family, no matter what the cost. The stress involved has to be measured up against the dog itself and whether it could cope.

I'm not sure if your post Tulip was a direct criticism of what I had posted? I hope that you aren't implying that I don't take precaution over my dog. My dog is one of the Family which is why she is going to stay with family much like OP. With regards to my comment about local fauna and flora, you couldn't possibly be there 100% of the time for instance say your dog took a walk in the garden to do it's business and got bitten by a spider. You can't protect and prevent that. I am well aware of dangerous wildlife here but so is my dog, for example walking through the New Forest, my dog avoids Adders like the plague.

Maybe it's instinct I don't know.

My advice was completely impartial, I was pointing out both sides of the argument, I'd appreciate not being attacked for having an opinion.

I fail to see where I was 'attacking' you, merely pointing out the flaws in your reasoning why someone might leave behind their dog. I would hate someone to read this thread and think the reasons you've posted are reason to leave a dog behind if they had intended to bring the dog with them.

Of course you can't be there every moment, but you can certainly exercise precaution, which seems to be left out of your post?

Archived