ACT 190 visa, ilets and costs

joleene

Hi all

I am new to this so please be gentle ;)

My husband and I are applying for ACt 190 visa, my occupation and Marketing and Communications Officer is limited. I have read all the information regarding the visa and was hoping for a bit of clarification on a few things:

Firstly I have to get my VETASSESS and seek verification for my occupation, pretty straight forward. No more than 30 days after I have to apply for ACT Nomination at the cost of 300AUSD, do I then have to apply for a visa? The guidelines seem to end here and talk about settlement so I am confused as agents I have spoken to have all quoted a visa cost of 3060AUSD??

One more question regarding ilets, if you have a British passport you don't have to complete the test but it then doesn't say how many points you are awarded with.

Any help would be useful as we are trying to save money going it alone.

Thanks, Jo

Hi Jo, speaking of my experience which is obviously a different job but may have some similarities. The 300ausd is probably just the skills assessment, the remainder is likely the cost of the visa, there will be other costs along the way too such as medicals. Depending on your job certification from school may be enough to say you were taught and assessed in English however this will not give points, only official testing such as IELTS (and I think OETS not sure if thats right someone will correct) will give points, 10 for at least 7 in all sections, 20 for at least all 8's. If you only need Ielts for points then the general version is sufficient, however for certain occupations then the academic version is needed ( I did being a nurse). Good luck in your journey Nicola

Hi Jo

in respect of your enquiry, i'm not sure how your circumstances compare to mine but i've started the process of looking at obtaining either 189 / 190 skills visa and depending on my points score will determin whether i go for state sponsership or not. although ive got a british passport, born and bred in scotland ( Uk ) educated and worked here all my life - still needed to sit the ielts test and due to my points circumstances need to resit this again ( this saturday ). The basis being that i had to score 8 + in all 4 components but got 3 @ 8.5 and 1 @ 7.5 and as such it is causing my points total to be less than the required 60.

To be honest i am going through an agent and if was doing this on my own i may have given up. It all seemed staright forward but as i am self employed the amount of paperwork i need to accumulate is unbelievable for Trade Recognition Australia which only outlines certain aspects on their application form but if you download their guidlines it goes into far more detail and states a lot more paperwork needed than outlined on the form.

If i hadnt got the details from my agent then i would possibly would have only completed the application form and as such it would have been sent straight back and i would have lost $300 aus dollars and would have to reapply again.

Another factor which hasnt really helped my cause is the fact that being over 40 has dis-advantaged me in that the points for age i acquired is significantly lower than that of those give to seemingly more appropriate age group of being in your 30's.

In any other walk of life DAIC would surely be hauled over the coals for age discrimination.

Hope this may help in some way Jo

Many thanks guys, on further delving it seems so much more complicated. Its no it so much what I have to do it us timing it just right, financially too because we need the money together. It seems for ACT 190 Ilets isn't needed, but I am now worried that I am completely getting it wrong and cannot afford to mess this up. Can I ask Henrik7, which agent are you using? We want to start asap but its going to take us a good 4 or 5 months to get the money together with an agent. I am pretty good at form filling etc but as it is a once in a lifetime chance I am not sure the risk is worth it.

You have 12 months from your police check or medical, whichever you did earlier, to enter Australia and validate your visa. But you don't have to move straight away so you can validate whilst doing a reckie. I believe the terms are that you have 5 years from the date your visa is granted for a 189 visa (not sure if 190 is the same). Someone else might be able to confirm.

Hi Jo

i am using immigration to oz, the agents name is John Adams he seems really clued up and on the ball. In terms of cost - dealing with them its taken in stages and depends on the individual as to how quickly or slowly they wish to take things.

I originally started looking at doing this around Feb 2012 but due to cirumstances etc its only really been since August that i have moved things on, i wish i had looked at taking things quicker as i am hoping i dont run out of time due to age restictions ( i need to have TRA and IELTS completed ) and alos Expression of Interest lodged before i turn 45 or the game is up.

In terms of cost - inital payment i made was £250 plus vat - terms of engagement, getting intial documentation and fact finding completed. and at moment £400 plus vat to get ielts and tra skills assessment completed.. at next stage will be £400 plus vat when submitting EOI and then at end when visa to be submitted the final instalment which will possibly be £800 plus vat. However this doesnt take into consideration cost of actually sitting the ielts exam (£130) plus a further £60 for appealing and then another £130 to do another. Also cost of getting a solicitor ( or similar ) to certify all documents, also $300 AusD bank draft for TRA Australia.

hope this may help Jo.

Have a look at the DIAC website info for the 190 Visa

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-190/

and also the link to Booklet 6

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

which have lots of information about points, English criteria etc., and also the order in which to do things.

Apologies if you've already seen them! :biggrin:

I did exactly this and have done our application myself. The information in these booklets gives you everything you need plus a little research on vetassess/ your skills assessor as the fee depends on who has to do your assessment and whether you get them to assess work experience; ielts is £135 and for a 190 it depends on the state to which you are applying.

Hi Jolene

I did it all myself...i was going to use an agent but due to finances and the fact i have done the process so far, i decided to have a try myself.

I would maybe start looking at maybe building a plan with timescales and costs.

Get an initial consultation with a decent agent, there are plenty recommended on the site. They will either help you move forward or point you in the right direction

Good luck

Hi Jolene

I did it all myself...i was going to use an agent but due to finances and the fact i have done the process so far, i decided to have a try myself.

I would maybe start looking at maybe building a plan with timescales and costs.

Get an initial consultation with a decent agent, there are plenty recommended on the site. They will either help you move forward or point you in the right direction

Good luck

Hi Skellysgirl

Thanks I started doing that last night, making a list last night so will put it all onto a chart and try to build some sort of timeplan. I have no doubt I am capable of doing it, it is just a case of being organised and at first delving into it, it all seems very daunting. Are you applying for 190? Where about?

Jolene

• 1 month later...
Hi all

I am new to this so please be gentle ;)

My husband and I are applying for ACt 190 visa, my occupation and Marketing and Communications Officer is limited. I have read all the information regarding the visa and was hoping for a bit of clarification on a few things:

Firstly I have to get my VETASSESS and seek verification for my occupation, pretty straight forward. No more than 30 days after I have to apply for ACT Nomination at the cost of 300AUSD, do I then have to apply for a visa? The guidelines seem to end here and talk about settlement so I am confused as agents I have spoken to have all quoted a visa cost of 3060AUSD??

One more question regarding ilets, if you have a British passport you don't have to complete the test but it then doesn't say how many points you are awarded with.

Any help would be useful as we are trying to save money going it alone.

Thanks, Jo

Hi Jo,

Your order is wrong. You need to have your skill assessment in hand before you apply. That should be your number one priority. It took us 7 months to get ours done through VETASSESS.

But before you begin, go to SKILLSELECT (http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/) it has all the info you need. Look up the current Skilled Occupation lists and the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation list as well.

IF: your occupation is on the SOL, then you can apply for the 189 visa as well for the 190 visa. If it is not on the SOL but it is on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List, you can apply ONLY for the 190 and/or 489 provisional visa. if your occupation is not on either lists, you cannot apply for these visas.

Next, based on what you find look up the visa details, both should require 60 points. For an idea here is the link for the 190 visa skillpoints: http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-190/ - click on the points tab) You can click on each FACTOR for further info.

Now, sit down and add your points up, make sure you count your points correctly for the years you have worked, etc. if you have 60 points, in theory you could apply for both visa classes (189 and 190), once again, if your occupation is on the SOL (skilled occupation list). if you do not have 60 points, but you do manage to get 55 points, you could still be sponsored by a State/Territory - it accounts for 5 points, so if you're able to secure a SS, you'll get the required 60 points.

If you still fall short and if you are passport holder from certain countries (like UK, USA ect.) you can take an IELTS test and (as a native English speaker you should be able to get the maximum) receive 20 points if you score 8 or higher. You get 10 points for score of 7.

You should add these points up, before you get your skills assessed. The assessment only valid for 2 years and cost us close to $700. Furthermore, it took 7 months to get the results back from them, unless you are willing to pay for expedited processing.

Let say you have all the point you need and get a positive skill assessment, this is the order how you should get things done:

​1. get VETASSESS skill assessment (both your degree and years of work experience).

2. open/submit an EOI (if you meet the 189 requirements, this is your last step - sit and wait for an invitation)

3. apply for a State Sponsorship (upon approval, you'll have an invitation)

4. within 60 days from invitation Lodge a Visa application (currently $3060 and payable at the time of application)

5. Get your Medicals and Police Check done (some people wait until they being asked for it, we didn't)

6. Wait for approval (for Subclass 189, maximum target processing time 12 months, for Subclass 190 it is 6 months)

7. Open a bottle o champagne, get packed and ship off!!!!

;-)

​Hope this is helpful a bit.....

• 1 month later...
Yes I'm doing the 190 and I am going to ACT

Im a graphic designer.

Hi There...just came across your profile here while going through some posts and saw your signature. You mentioned visa application submitted on 10 May. Was just curious on the outcome. Shouldnt a CO have been allocated by now?

Cheers!!

Amit

Hi There...just came across your profile here while going through some posts and saw your signature. You mentioned visa application submitted on 10 May. Was just curious on the outcome. Shouldnt a CO have been allocated by now?

Cheers!!

Amit

we did but it was the day before we went on our hols, we got one on the 22/06

Yes I'm doing the 190 and I am going to ACT

Im a graphic designer.

Hi Skellygirl,

I am Akshay, Graphic Designer (232411) and I am also trying for 190 subclass however I see no sate has this occupation listed. Can you please help.

I have +ve skill assessment from Vetassess and IELTS (L8, S6.5, W6.5, R6.5)

I also have submitted my EOI on 22 June, but no invites till now, really frustrated. Please assist. :(

Regards

Akshay

Hi Skellygirl,

I am Akshay, Graphic Designer (232411) and I am also trying for 190 subclass however I see no sate has this occupation listed. Can you please help.

I have +ve skill assessment from Vetassess and IELTS (L8, S6.5, W6.5, R6.5)

I also have submitted my EOI on 22 June, but no invites till now, really frustrated. Please assist. :(

Regards

Akshay

I think Graphic Designer has been taken from the Canberra state list see here sorry, i also though it was on the tasmanian list but ive just checked and it does not seem to be on there now either. good luck in your journey, i have been planning this for 10 years and i have found the profession pops up on the lists every few years. You just have to grab it when it does

I received positive assessment from engineers australia for Mechanical Engineer.. I HAVE to go to ACT and file for SS.. Now the occupation is open in ACT but with special condition "Must be currently employed in Canberra"... Now my agent says, it's all okay..we can go ahead and apply..

Question is can I? If Yes, would it cause any hurdle in the future?

Archived