End of the line for the Prime Minster?

ozziepom

Guest chris955
Yep a pretty regular going on. Nasty business Aussie politics.

I just get this mental picture of a line of politicians all with knife in hand.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Australia I certainly would right now. Tony Abbott is about as far from my ideal PM as you can get. Ignorant, self-serving, more concerned about photo ops than policies, wearing his religion around his neck like a chain of office.

Gillard's shenanigans have sentenced us to 3 years of a government which will serve big business, not voters. Let's all remember that her initial coup was aided by the Americans because Rudd had the temerity to not toe the US party line over things like troops in Iraq and Afghanistan--even though withdrawal had wide popular support.

As for the UK, I hope you enjoy triple dip recession, the inevitable result of Tory economic policies. Frankly I don't know who I'd vote for in the UK but it sure as heck would NOT be the Conservatives.

I share your misgivings of three years of Abbott leading the Cons in bed with big business.

What i don't get is why everyone accuses Julia of stabbing Rudd in the back? She was his deputy PM for goodness sake - which HE made her, so when the caucus decided it was time he went - regardless of whether they should have the power to do so - she naturally took over. She didn't tell him to leave. She didn't make him shout at his entourage and stewardesses on planes until everyone who had to work with him disliked him so much he had lost their confidence, he did that to himself! And since then he has just proven what a self-centred little snake he is to be honest!

None of the media seem to remember how obnoxious he was when he was PM. If he takes over from Julia Gillard, not only will Australia look like a complete laughing stock to the rest of the world (if they even care!), but I will be sorely tempted to ruin my ballot paper in the election as no way could I vote for either Abbott or Rudd! Don't we have any other politicians in the Labor party that could do the job of leader? Why does it always come back to Rudd? Shold have been sacked years ago imho! Nasty little dog in the manger!!

Not saying JG is perfect - but you've got to feel for her sometimes, putting up with backstabbing people in her party like Rudd, and this other guy that has come out in support of Rudd today (now sacked - good on yer, girl!). Talk about keeping your friends close but your enemies closer!

So how do they know you're living back in the country then?

Straight questions. I'm just curious as to how it works

Not sure exactly how it works but they have something a bit like the electoral register here like in the UK. My OH got a letter from the appropriate government department basically asking him if he was eligible to vote which he completed and sent back. I got the same letter and sent it back saying I was British and not eligible to vote. I can't remember what it was that triggered the letters though, although I have a feeling it was either paying tax via our TFN or registering with Medicare or something.

So how do they know you're living back in the country then?

Straight questions. I'm just curious as to how it works

The Electoral Office checks address information on a regular basis. I would expect another of these checks in the next few months. Also they data-match with other departments so if Mr. HWB has, for example, advised Centrelink that he is leaving the country permanently, this information can be shared with the Electoral Office.

The Electoral Office checks address information on a regular basis. I would expect another of these checks in the next few months. Also they data-match with other departments so if Mr. HWB has, for example, advised Centrelink that he is leaving the country permanently, this information can be shared with the Electoral Office.

Sharing information between depts? Now that is novel.

Guest chris955

Why would I, for example, have to tell Centrelink ?

Guest Guest 47403
Im not sure anyone would enjoy a triple dip recession but it is looking less likely anyway.

I'll disregard everything Sir Mervyn King says and just listen to Chris off PIO from now on he seems to know best :laugh:

In some ways I wish I was there to see all this nonsense, who in their right mind would vote Labour (in either country) ? This fiasco must be the final nail in the coffin.

It's as boring as anything Homeward. Some fairly important things happened in government today and they didn't get a mention in the news because of the PM leadership fiasco.

If I was Julia I would sack Rudd and anyone who had anything to do with him. Only way to clear the air.

There have been a couple more resignations today. Chris Bowen one.

The people who resigned should have to quit their job altogether and not just let go to the back benches where they can continue to get a fat salary and cause more trouble. Get them out of the job completely and remove them from politics. Time for some new blood.:yes:

BTW you'll find the Labour government back in the UK soon so there will be a lot of people who aren't "in their right mind" according to you.

Guest chris955
You have children - for Family Allowance Payments. Or are you still claiming in the UK?:wink:

Absolutely, am I not supposed to be ?

Archived