Almost qualified nurse looking for advice!

nicholiverpool

Hi all,

im currently in my third year of nursing soon to be qualified with a degree, want to get over to oz as soon as possible but unsure which visa to go on, looked at 189 but waiting time is quite a while, does anybody know much about the state sponsored visa? How easy is it to get this newly qualified? And how long I'd have to wait before getting to australia?

also, looking at moving furniture and dog over, anybody know who is the best to go with for these things. Will be going to perth,

any advice much appreciated

Hi all,

im currently in my third year of nursing soon to be qualified with a degree, want to get over to oz as soon as possible but unsure which visa to go on, looked at 189 but waiting time is quite a while, does anybody know much about the state sponsored visa? How easy is it to get this newly qualified? And how long I'd have to wait before getting to australia?

also, looking at moving furniture and dog over, anybody know who is the best to go with for these things. Will be going to perth,

any advice much appreciated

if you have all the qualifications for visa 189, meaning you have at least 60 points on SkillSelect, then it's the best choice, and maybe one of the fastest, too. State Sponsored visa (190) requires, well, sponsorship from a state or territory. State sponsorship can take up to 4-5 months before you can apply for PR (190). Processing times vary. According to DIAC, 189 applications are processed within 12 months, and 190 takes about 6 months. So when you count everything, it's almost the same (as you have to wait for state sponsorship first before applying for 190 visa). In reality, based from other's experiences, both visa category only takes about 5 months.

Now, being a nurse, you have to get your skills assessed by ANMAC. This is a prerequisite for all permanent visa application (189, 190). This process takes about 12 weeks or more.

If you really want to go here in Australia the fastest route, you should look into a temporary visa first, such as the 457 visa (working visa). You do not need a skills assessment for this. You will need a nursing registration, though. You'll get it through AHPRA. The process may take up to 8 months or more (I waited 7 months actually). And you need a hospital/employer willing to sponsor you for this kind of visa.

Good Luck!

My wife's been a qualified nurse for just over 1 year, she's managed to find an employer who are sponsoring her on a 457. Everything has ground to a halt though as the ahpra registration isn't through yet, she applied for that at the beginning of November, so I'd advise you to do that as soon as you're qualified. Good luck :-)

As far as I'm aware there's no technicality that would prevent you getting a 457 sponsorship without having work experience, the difficulty may be finding an employer willing to sponsor you. I'm not an expert though so someone else may give better advice

Hi royR

I am a nurse looking for an employer to sponsor me on a 457 visa. Did your wife find herself or didvyou find an agency.I have been looking and applying for a few months now I have been offered one job which I turned down.most jobs advertised now seem,to want people with permanent visas.which area is i wifes job in and did you see it advertised.I have my ahpra it took 7 weeks.this was only because I kept phoning my registration officer. If you have a registration officer phone them as mine kept asking for extra documents and I was scanning them to see if they were the right ones befores posting them off as taikes a couple of weeks to receive them.they were asking for documents from uni that the uni had never been asked for.after 4 weeks I asked to speakk to someone else who agreed a document that would be sufficient.they would have left it if I hadn't chased it up.

Hi royR

I am a nurse looking for an employer to sponsor me on a 457 visa. Did your wife find herself or didvyou find an agency.I have been looking and applying for a few months now I have been offered one job which I turned down.most jobs advertised now seem,to want people with permanent visas.which area is i wifes job in and did you see it advertised.I have my ahpra it took 7 weeks.this was only because I kept phoning my registration officer. If you have a registration officer phone them as mine kept asking for extra documents and I was scanning them to see if they were the right ones befores posting them off as taikes a couple of weeks to receive them.they were asking for documents from uni that the uni had never been asked for.after 4 weeks I asked to speakk to someone else who agreed a document that would be sufficient.they would have left it if I hadn't chased it up.

Hi kezkev

My wife responded to an advert in the Nursing Standard, it was an agency called Healthcare Elite recruiting for a private hospital in Adelaide. My wife is an orthopaedic scrub nurse, what nursing do you do? Can I be nosey and ask why you turned down the job offer?

Hi royR

I have my ahpra it took 7 weeks.this was only because I kept phoning my registration officer. If you have a registration officer phone them as mine kept asking for extra documents and I was scanning them to see if they were the right ones befores posting them off as taikes a couple of weeks to receive them.they were asking for documents from uni that the uni had never been asked for.after 4 weeks I asked to speakk to someone else who agreed a document that would be sufficient.they would have left it if I hadn't chased it up.

We keep being told everything is in order but they're waiting on the certificate of good standing to arrive from the nmc, nmc say it was posted on 7th February. Any idea how long it took for ahpra to receive your document from nmc? It's really starting to stress us

My wife's been a qualified nurse for just over 1 year, she's managed to find an employer who are sponsoring her on a 457. Everything has ground to a halt though as the ahpra registration isn't through yet, she applied for that at the beginning of November, so I'd advise you to do that as soon as you're qualified. Good luck :-)

This may be nosey but I'm in the process of doing my AHPRA application and such now and having alot of troubles with writing up my CV and making sure I've got all of the documents. Would she be willing to share her CV with me so i know what they are looking for?

Hi royR

Was your registration officer assigned to you when they got your application? I'm going to be applying soon (when I get all my stupid paperwork together finally!). I really want to be able to head over there at the end of July on a working holiday visa and really want to get my nursing registration through as fast as possible. Any other tips? What was the document that the uni had never heard of it you don't mind me asking?

This may be nosey but I'm in the process of doing my AHPRA application and such now and having alot of troubles with writing up my CV and making sure I've got all of the documents. Would she be willing to share her CV with me so i know what they are looking for?

Yeah you can have a copy of the cv, how do I get it to you without you posting your email address on here?

Hi kezkev

My wife responded to an advert in the Nursing Standard, it was an agency called Healthcare Elite recruiting for a private hospital in Adelaide. My wife is an orthopaedic scrub nurse, what nursing do you do? Can I be nosey and ask why you turned down the job offer?

Hi royR

I am a nurse in intensive care.I was offered a job in Sydney which sounded great although I researched the area and it sounded awful.I have 2 teenagers so do not want to move to an area to live which is worse than I live in England. If you have a registration officers name on an email ring them direct as I was told that they had not received my nmc letter so I had itvsent again when I asked if they received it the second time she told me theyvalready had the first one.I applied to adelaide although all my paperwork was sent to Sydney to he dealt with. I was emaiping and phoning my registration officer every few days.you need to keep on to them. I qualified 4 years ago and they werevtrying to say that my course did not have any mental health, children's nursing included.I had all uni hours theory and practice hours sent.I was told these did not show other types of nursing studied.In the end after speaking to the manager she agreed that my uni could send a letter saying my course met with eu directives.talk about stress! Now I'm having trouble finding a job

Kerry

Hi royR

I am a nurse in intensive care.I was offered a job in Sydney which sounded great although I researched the area and it sounded awful.I have 2 teenagers so do not want to move to an area to live which is worse than I live in England. If you have a registration officers name on an email ring them direct as I was told that they had not received my nmc letter so I had itvsent again when I asked if they received it the second time she told me theyvalready had the first one.I applied to adelaide although all my paperwork was sent to Sydney to he dealt with. I was emaiping and phoning my registration officer every few days.you need to keep on to them. I qualified 4 years ago and they werevtrying to say that my course did not have any mental health, children's nursing included.I had all uni hours theory and practice hours sent.I was told these did not show other types of nursing studied.In the end after speaking to the manager she agreed that my uni could send a letter saying my course met with eu directives.talk about stress! Now I'm having trouble finding a job

Kerry

Thanks for that Kerry, my wife's registration eligibility came in a few days ago, actually a few hours after paying for a 2nd letter to be sent by the nmc! The nmc have been really good though and are processing a refund. Good luck in the job hunt :-)

Re experience - it will depend on if you're going to be employed by an agency or if you're going to apply for advertised jobs were there is short-listing and interview - depending on the job - lack of qualified experience may be an issue.

Just wanted to throw something else out there for you, I think I read you are looking at Perth but Victoria have a seperate skills list good enough for a190 (sponsored permanent residency) for graduates which seems to eliminate the need for work experience, assuming you have all the other stuff in order? I've never heard mention of it before but came across it on Victorias website.

I could be reading it wrong but might be worth investigating depending on your circumstances xx

I always throw this out there but don't be too alarmed as in the end it comes down to your decision.

Some of the private sector is not always the best employer when on a 457...................they have you over a barrel. If the job sucks, then you're stuck with it unless you can find another sponsor. If the employer lets you go, then you have 4 weeks only to find another sponsor otherwise you're on a plane back to the UK.

You are also penalised financially when sponsored, as you receive no rent allowance and other benefits.

All that said, many thousands make a go of it, but likewise, some (whom we have helped), come unstuck, as we can testify to.

The very next post to yours was this one!

I'm looking for Registered General Nurses, especially those trained/registered in UK, Australia or Ireland.

Sponsorship is available and support with AHPRA is offered. Current lead time for Australian Nurse registration can be as little as 6 weeks.

Current Vacancies include:

Midwives (2) in Sydney (Private Hospitals)

Midwives (3) in Sydney - Permanent Night Shift (Private Hospital)

Midwives (2) in Wagga Wagga, NSW (Private Hospital)

Paediatric RGN's with ICU (Sydney)

RGN/Surgical Scrub Nurse/ICU (Darwin)

RGNs with ICU/HDU/CCU

RGNs Aged Care (Melbourne)

Medical Unit Manager (Regional Victoria)

Apply via Reed

UK trained and RCGP registered GP's required for several rural locations, including:

Roma (Queensland)

Hunter Valley (NSW)

Falls Creek (VIC)

Sponsorship, Assistance with Australian Registration process and POSSIBLE relocation expenses.

Archived