"Living the Dream" (I HATE that expression - but it was appropriate at Clovelly last night)

MARYROSE02

I've been neglecting the beach of late, not because I don't like it, but it's a hassle getting my car out and driving there and back. Driving on Sydney roads is like competing in that bloody chariot race with Charlton Heston (and Stephen Boyd?)

But I went down yesterday evening at 6.45pm, almost too late in terms of sunshine, although it was still, just, on the northern side. I had good swim, read my book, walked along the water's edge. There was a big group of parents and kids and dogs holding some kind of picnic, another group, or perhaps the same one, swimming with snorkels (I MUST get one of those.)

I went up to the Clovelly Hotel for dinner (child/baby friendly in the restaurant) and then as it was so nice went back down to the beach again at 9pm

Point of all this? I actually hate that expression 'Living The Dream' and I see it so many times on here it must be a mantra. But it seemed appropriate for any families stuck in cold, damp, drab, Britain.

Sounds lovely, we often go down to the beach in the evening. for a walk

But now it is weekend proper and the torrential rain has started ... nobody will be at the beach today. :dull:

Yep!!

Just waiting for cricket to be cancelled before I go and do other excellent "living the dream" stuff like going shopping and taking my son for a haircut

:D

I think we all know not every day is perfect. We know there are problems. We know there are rainy days. We know we need money to do things sometimes, and sometimes we can't do things we want to.

This is true of any country.

Some of us appreciate moments that present themselves, the light shaft through the clouds, that remind us why we're happy and where we live. Just because someone posted about it, and it reminded them that for some, they are living the dream, doesn't give you the right to be a wet weekend. In fact, nothing really does give you the right; if you don't agree, no one is making you believe it or even post on this thread. No one is making you say 'I'm in Austraila, living the dream!' just because the OP appreciates where they live and the small comforts they bring.

So man up and stop whinging. Pom.

I think we all know not every day is perfect. We know there are problems. We know there are rainy days. We know we need money to do things sometimes, and sometimes we can't do things we want to.

Some of us appreciate moments that present themselves, the light shaft through the clouds, that remind us why we're happy and where we live. Just because someone posted about it, and it reminded them that for some, they are living the dream, doesn't give you the right to be a wet weekend. In fact, nothing really does give you the right; if you don't agree, no one is making you believe it or even post on this thread. No one is making you say 'I'm in Austraila, living the dream!' just because the OP appreciates where they live and the small comforts they bring.

Well the other comments on the thread were light hearted until you joined in.....

Oh your so macho man up. Oh I bet you sleep rough in the outback big man

I've been neglecting the beach of late, not because I don't like it, but it's a hassle getting my car out and driving there and back. Driving on Sydney roads is like competing in that bloody chariot race with Charlton Heston (and Stephen Boyd?)

But I went down yesterday evening at 6.45pm, almost too late in terms of sunshine, although it was still, just, on the northern side. I had good swim, read my book, walked along the water's edge. There was a big group of parents and kids and dogs holding some kind of picnic, another group, or perhaps the same one, swimming with snorkels (I MUST get one of those.)

I went up to the Clovelly Hotel for dinner (child/baby friendly in the restaurant) and then as it was so nice went back down to the beach again at 9pm

Point of all this? I actually hate that expression 'Living The Dream' and I see it so many times on here it must be a mantra. But it seemed appropriate for any families stuck in cold, damp, drab, Britain.

I know iam almost suicidal .......Had a job at Broadway in the cotswolds today ( what a poverty stricken hellhole ).......drove via willersey to stratford on avon .....had a sandwich and a coffee .....through henley in arden to solihull .......

out tonight for drinks with my lovely wife in our local pub ............had a great laugh in mixed company

Tomorrow shopping in warwick

Sunday ....game of golf ......dinner at moms

MARYROSE .......what am i doing wrong ? please help

I know iam almost suicidal .......Had a job at Broadway in the cotswolds today ( what a poverty stricken hellhole ).......drove via willersey to stratford on avon .....had a sandwich and a coffee .....through henley in arden to solihull .......

out tonight for drinks with my lovely wife in our local pub ............had a great laugh in mixed company

Tomorrow shopping in warwick

Sunday ....game of golf ......dinner at moms

MARYROSE .......what am i doing wrong ? please help

Did I say you were doing anything wrong? Or criticize England? But since you asked. You could not make a go of it in Australia and you can't bear the thought of anybody I.e. almost everybody enjoying their new life in OZ.

Did I say you were doing anything wrong? Or criticize England? But since you asked. You could not make a go of it in Australia and you can't bear the thought of anybody I.e. almost everybody enjoying their new life in OZ.

read the last paragraph of your original post you fool .............if you are loving your life in oz ....great .....but then you go and spoil it with a childish dig .

i replied something similar to wendee yesterday

for the record .....

my eldest daughter is australian

some of my best friends are australian

i have a house in australia

i got offered a great job in perth at cristmas .....couldnt take it ....like you , iam keeping an eye on my elderly mom (i admire you for that )

when you added that last paragraph .....are you trying to convince some of the posters on here or yourself ?

i dont finish any of my posts with a dig at Australia .......no need

read the last paragraph of your original post you fool .............if you are loving your life in oz ....great .....but then you go and spoil it with a childish dig .

i replied something similar to wendee yesterday

for the record .....

my eldest daughter is australian

some of my best friends are australian

i have a house in australia

i got offered a great job in perth at cristmas .....couldnt take it ....like you , iam keeping an eye on my elderly mom (i admire you for that )

when you added that last paragraph .....are you trying to convince some of the posters on here or yourself ?

i dont finish any of my posts with a dig at Australia .......no need

Sorry if you took offence, and, yes looking after elderly parents, is an admirable thing. I despise my neighbour's daughter and son, without ever having met them, because they never seem to care about their mother - who is in her 90's. I took her to A & E, and they never thanked me, not that I wanted any thanks.

But, you did say something about 'What am I doing wrong?' and a little ironic dig at Broadway (which I almost believed) and thought 'what is he on about, it's a lovely place, nothing like Broadway in Sydney, mind.

And I did not start this post up as an 'Australiia is better than England' thread (although, mea culpa, in vino veritas (had two schooner of Coopers at the Strawbo) I have done in the past.)

For me, I was just thinking, I've heard this expression 'Living the Dream' and wondered what they are all going on about, and then, at Clovelly, seeing all these young families, I thought I finally understand.

Yes, i had a wonderful 5 day trip, staying at Woodstock, Stow-on-the-Wold, and Stratford-Upon-Avon and, yes, England is a wonderful place and i went back there for twelve years. But, apart from the need to do something with my personal effects in the loft of my Pommie house, I will probably never go back to England.

Many people, even those who are happy here in OZ, do not cross that 'Rubicon' whereby they think 'I live here - forever.'

Sorry if you took offence, and, yes looking after elderly parents, is an admirable thing. I despise my neighbour's daughter and son, without ever having met them, because they never seem to care about their mother - who is in her 90's. I took her to A & E, and they never thanked me, not that I wanted any thanks.

But, you did say something about 'What am I doing wrong?' and a little ironic dig at Broadway (which I almost believed) and thought 'what is he on about, it's a lovely place, nothing like Broadway in Sydney, mind.

And I did not start this post up as an 'Australiia is better than England' thread (although, mea culpa, in vino veritas (had two schooner of Coopers at the Strawbo) I have done in the past.)

For me, I was just thinking, I've heard this expression 'Living the Dream' and wondered what they are all going on about, and then, at Clovelly, seeing all these young families, I thought I finally understand.

Yes, i had a wonderful 5 day trip, staying at Woodstock, Stow-on-the-Wold, and Stratford-Upon-Avon and, yes, England is a wonderful place and i went back there for twelve years. But, apart from the need to do something with my personal effects in the loft of my Pommie house, I will probably never go back to England.

Many people, even those who are happy here in OZ, do not cross that 'Rubicon' whereby they think 'I live here - forever.'

Well said you stated this thread and nicely finished if I don't say

Guest chris955

Well you did really well until you got to the very last line of your first post and I guess you just couldnt help yourself ;)

You have absolutely no idea whether almost everybody is enjoying their new life in Oz.