"Living the Dream" (I HATE that expression - but it was appropriate at Clovelly last night)

MARYROSE02

Sorry MaryRose02,I usually love reading your posts.I did this one,until the last line.Was that really necessary hon,really?Yes its cold here and damp,it is winter afterall!Is'nt Sydney cold and damp in winter as well?As far as drab goes,I think that depends where you are living/come from don't you?

Cold damp drab Britain? It's a beautiful clear day here in Yorkshire. The birds are singing, the daffs are coming out, I'm eating toasted hot cross buns and looking forward to a pint of Theakstons at the friendly local pub. I like Clovelly (especially the snorkelling) but it's not the be all and end all.

Sorry if you took offence, and, yes looking after elderly parents, is an admirable thing. I despise my neighbour's daughter and son, without ever having met them, because they never seem to care about their mother - who is in her 90's. I took her to A & E, and they never thanked me, not that I wanted any thanks.

But, you did say something about 'What am I doing wrong?' and a little ironic dig at Broadway (which I almost believed) and thought 'what is he on about, it's a lovely place, nothing like Broadway in Sydney, mind.

And I did not start this post up as an 'Australiia is better than England' thread (although, mea culpa, in vino veritas (had two schooner of Coopers at the Strawbo) I have done in the past.)

For me, I was just thinking, I've heard this expression 'Living the Dream' and wondered what they are all going on about, and then, at Clovelly, seeing all these young families, I thought I finally understand.

Yes, i had a wonderful 5 day trip, staying at Woodstock, Stow-on-the-Wold, and Stratford-Upon-Avon and, yes, England is a wonderful place and i went back there for twelve years. But, apart from the need to do something with my personal effects in the loft of my Pommie house, I will probably never go back to England.

Many people, even those who are happy here in OZ, do not cross that 'Rubicon' whereby they think 'I live here - forever.'

Once again huge respect to you maryrose .......1- for what you did for your parents ....and 2- for clearing up a misunderstanding

contrary to what some believe .......i have no axe to grind .....or point to prove .

I have said on many occassions that Sydney harbour and the opera house , are one of my " wonders of the world "

I just get a bit tetchy when people have a dig at the UK .......sorry for any misunderstanding

Guest chris955
Why does the phrase living the dream offend people so much? Can't some people actually be doing it? Even if not everyone does? I certainly feel I am and most of my friends think I am, so why do people on a forum who I have never met reckon I'm not?

Im not sure it offends anyone, I havent seen anyone on here argue with you about whether you are or not living the dream. I am so no reason to think you arent. I think it is more the fact that some assume they will be doing it before they have even arrived in the country. The majority in any country arent living the dream.

Why does the phrase living the dream offend people so much? Can't some people actually be doing it? Even if not everyone does? I certainly feel I am and most of my friends think I am, so why do people on a forum who I have never met reckon I'm not?

I think for me anyway,living the dream sounds like you're not living in reality lolDream to me sounds like its some fluffy sugar coated lifestyle,maybe its just my perception hon?lol

Are you ok MR02?:eek:

I'm OK, thanks, especially after seeing Arsenal lose at home to Blackburn Rovers! Waking up to that was better than an Alka Salzter!

Last night I went to PJ's in Parramatta, half hoping to meet a lady I've been talking to on Plenty of Fish but I cocked things up! Got on Night Rider bush to come home then decided to nip into loo for pee and the bloody driver would not wait for me so that meant a cab home. Just when I am trying to save money too!

Must admit was a bit envious/jealous of woman I know who 'likes' me but does not 'LIKE' me and she was 'entertaining' her new bloke - ie one she really does "LIKE' over the weekend. Well, maybe not jealous of her so much as jealous of her bloke!

I'm OK, thanks, especially after seeing Arsenal lose at home to Blackburn Rovers! Waking up to that was better than an Alka Salzter!

Last night I went to PJ's in Parramatta, half hoping to meet a lady I've been talking to on Plenty of Fish but I cocked things up! Got on Night Rider bush to come home then decided to nip into loo for pee and the bloody driver would not wait for me so that meant a cab home. Just when I am trying to save money too!

Must admit was a bit envious/jealous of woman I know who 'likes' me but does not 'LIKE' me and she was 'entertaining' her new bloke - ie one she really does "LIKE' over the weekend. Well, maybe not jealous of her so much as jealous of her bloke!

Awww MR02!Yes we all know what "entertaining"her new bloke means hey hon?:cute:I'm glad you are ok anyway!Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes you're the lamp post!:laugh:

Young guy in flat next door invited me in for a few beers after lunch. I said 'I'll just have one as I want to drive over to my brother's place!'..........
.............Yeah and then what happened?I'm thinking MR02 you should maybe write a book?Titled something like "Street Walking In Sydney"?:laugh:

There are plenty of cheap places to eat. This one is a Thai popular with cabbies. Just look where they eat as they dont wnat any more than cheap and good food. I could have had two choices for $8. The Indians are usually around $10. Price of steak chips @ Trinity tonight! And in Tudor House hotel in Redfern they do $10 schnitzels every day.

I am staying in tonight think I mighf go to Clovelly in the evening and come home. But if my friend Kurt rings and says "fancy a meal tonight?"!!!!!

There are plenty of cheap places to eat. This one is a Thai popular with cabbies. Just look where they eat as they dont wnat any more than cheap and good food. I could have had two choices for $8. The Indians are usually around $10. Price of steak chips @ Trinity tonight! And in Tudor House hotel in Redfern they do $10 schnitzels every day.

I am staying in tonight think I might go to Clovelly in the evening and come home. But if my friend Kurt rings and says "fancy a meal tonight?"!!!!!

I did not stay in. Kurt did ring up and we had dinner in the Gaelic, then on the Wed it was quiz night at the Strawberry. Last night I did eat at home because my lady friend from Taiwan brought me some food from her restaurant. Friday- tonight? Not sure yet.