Dentist!

louisesteph23

A BOMB is the answer! Seriously, get ANY dental work you need done before you go, as dental work is not reciprocal and it costs a fortune.

I had to fly to Asia to get work done on an abscess or id either be looking at thousands of dollars or having it pulled out.

A BOMB is the answer! Seriously, get ANY dental work you need done before you go, as dental work is not reciprocal and it costs a fortune.

I had to fly to Asia to get work done on an abscess or id either be looking at thousands of dollars or having it pulled out.

oh really!!! I have a problem with wisdom teeth coming through, but cant get it removed in time cos my flight is in 3 weeks!

oh really!!! I have a problem with wisdom teeth coming through, but cant get it removed in time cos my flight is in 3 weeks!

You should be ok, as long as it's not infection or a break. I dunno I always get the impression that wisdom tooth issues are the dentists equivalent of a garage mechanic or builder doing the old sucking air through teeth treatment i.e completely unneccesary.

Seriously though, be careful about dental work in Oz, it's even more of a rip off that private UK practice.

Just keep a eye on it. When my wisdom teeth came through i ended up with a infection and had to go to the dentist a few times. They said they might have to come out.

Just be careful as other people have mentioned - its expensive!

Hopefully you'll be fine.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks everyone for your replies. The waiting list for the dental hospital is 3 months and I've only just started getting problems I had an infection the other week just hoping it doesn't flare up again! My flights in 3 weeks! Won't be looking forward to paying huge fees!!!!

Buy a few bottles of corsodyl to take with you (i dont know if they have it over there). Thats what i was told to use to help stop the infection.

If you ring the hospital and explain your situation they might be able to move you up the list. You never know!

Buy a few bottles of corsodyl to take with you (i dont know if they have it over there). Thats what i was told to use to help stop the infection.

If you ring the hospital and explain your situation they might be able to move you up the list. You never know!

Yes I'll be doing that I've got the corsodyl gel too which is good, I might try and give them a ring and see what they say taking anti biotics with me too just hope it doesn't flare up

Guest Guest51968

have found the dentist to be very reasonable to be honest... We have the basic HBF essentials saver cover.. (emergency ambo, dental, optical and physio) for the 4 of us... We all got a free clean and scale 2 weeks ago... (much better than a UK one he used some ultrasonic tool !!) my wife has just had a new filling - white one and she only had to pay $79 after the HBF refund element... which is about 50 quid in UK money - very reasonable i thought.

I have 3 fillings to come and if its only going to be around $250 bucks thats cool....

remember the important thing you don't have to cough up 11% National insurance out of your salary here... so thats a big saving... on the medical side you only pay for what you use rather than continually pay into a system for something you may never use....

Oh and on our level of HBF we got 40% back on all dental - and as hes a HBF dentist no claiming you get discount and point of payment :-)

My husband and I went to the dentist yesterday for a check up, clean and also had some X-rays taken, came to $360 for both of us of which we paid $72 and our insurance covered the rest. I have to go back to have a root canal which has been quoted at $1700, again our insurance will cover 80% of that. I find the dentist stupidly expensive over here, they are a lot more thorough than any dentist I went to back home though. However without insurance I definitely would not be able to afford to go

have found the dentist to be very reasonable to be honest... We have the basic HBF essentials saver cover.. (emergency ambo, dental, optical and physio) for the 4 of us... We all got a free clean and scale 2 weeks ago... (much better than a UK one he used some ultrasonic tool !!) my wife has just had a new filling - white one and she only had to pay $79 after the HBF refund element... which is about 50 quid in UK money - very reasonable i thought.

I have 3 fillings to come and if its only going to be around $250 bucks thats cool....

remember the important thing you don't have to cough up 11% National insurance out of your salary here... so thats a big saving... on the medical side you only pay for what you use rather than continually pay into a system for something you may never use....

Oh and on our level of HBF we got 40% back on all dental - and as hes a HBF dentist no claiming you get discount and point of payment :-)

How do I go about getting that insurance it won't be in the travel insurance will it? Do I need to get it before I leave the UK? That does sound pretty reasonable to be fair! Think I'll be browsing the web for some insurance this afternoon

Get your dental work done in the UK as it can be expensive here. But to be fair there are some very good dentists here whose charges are equivalent to the private ones in the UK. But heaven help you if you need root canal / wisdom teeth etc here and you don't have any insurance and you will be stuffed.

There's always some fker on here ready and waiting to disagree with you for the sake of disagreeing with you. We are WHV holders NOT permanent residents. We don't have the same rights.

You can't get dental insurance as a backpacker, nothing worth the premium and paper it's written on though I gladly stand to be corrected. And yea I had root canal work/infection needing. Hope and pray you don't need that out here. If I needed it now i'd get it yanked and a platinum one put it in Thailand on the way home.

At the end of the day you are travelling 10,000 miles. There is an element of risk.

You can't get dental insurance as a backpacke, nothing worth the premium and paper it's written on though I gladly stand to be corrected. And yea I had root canal work/infection needing. Hope and pray you don't need that out here. If I needed it now i'd get it yanked and a platinum one put it in Thailand LOL.

Oh dear really! I hope and pray I don't either, I'm bringing over antibiotics and other stuff the dentist recommends so fingers crossed i'll be fine! just my luck to get something like this just before I go haha!

Buy a few bottles of corsodyl to take with you (i dont know if they have it over there)

That won't do **** for a root canal type infection. Louisesteph, I'd deffo try and get yourself bumped up the list. As scottishstacey says tell them you are going travelling very soon.

I don't want to alarm you but there are elements to coming out on a WHV that are stressful enough as it is, the last thing you want is some dental issue just after you get here trust me.

Very interesting, but how is that at all relevant to a WHV i.e a backpacker? 3 fillings for $250, what's he using a trowel and cement?

Seriously, ring the dental hospital or your dentist and see what they can do if your wisdom tooth is playing up. The first time mines ever did it was a day before i went to portugal - i rang up and they played the "we have no appointments" thing untill i said i was about to go on holiday. That was just the dentist though not the hospital. No harm in trying. Theres nothing worse than going on holiday when your not feeling great

Seriously, ring the dental hospital or your dentist and see what they can do if your wisdom tooth is playing up. The first time mines ever did it was a day before i went to portugal - i rang up and they played the "we have no appointments" thing untill i said i was about to go on holiday. That was just the dentist though not the hospital. No harm in trying. Theres nothing worse than going on holiday when your not feeling great

Just rang up they said I have to go at 8am to be seen, then they will assess the tooth and see if I can get it out! So ill go tomorrow and see what they say

Archived