I'm here, I'm here

violethaze

Can't believe I'm in Tasmania!

What a beautiful island! Lovely drive down to New Norfolk (where I am staying for a week) from the ferry in Devonport. Stopped off at a small place named Perth to meet my cousin whom I've never met before and who has been living in Tasmania for about 5 years. She leaves at the end of the month to return to Perth, WA. So it was a great opportunity to meet up with her for breakfast.

Arrived in New Norfolk (I'll say again.... what a beautiful drive down) exhausted, had a nap, then drove to Cambridge where I need to get to in the morning for my new job. No problems getting there, and I hope I don't go wrong tomorrow with all the extra traffic on the roads.

Then decided to drive down to Huonville as I need to go there on Tuesday afternoon to collect the keys to my rental property. Then drove to Kingston where the rental is. As expected, it doesn't thrill me (the property, not the suburb), simply because it isn't what *I* want for myself but it seems ideal for a family or couple. Great big shopping centre a few minutes drive up the road, and a Woolies just two left turns away. Plus a bus stop across the road.

The drive from Kingston to Hobart included a stunning view of Hobart and the bay as you come over the hill. BEAUTIFUL. My Samsung Navigon app did well, except around the Kingston area. Sent me the wrong way twice and then sent me the long way from there back to New Norfolk. Ah well. Can't have everything.

Apart from the beautiful scenery, the other thing that struck me was the number of dead animals along the road. I counted over 70. Most of them wallabies. I have always wanted to see a wallaby, now I realise I should have been more specific and stated I've always wanted to see a LIVE wallaby.

I'm looking forward to seeing LIVE wombats too.... plus the elusive platypus.

Resting up now and hoping to be relaxed for my first day in my new job tomorrow.

Love Tasmania!

Guest Guest16631

............good luck to you for your new job.................and wonderful to read you have enjoyed so much...............yes a shame about the dead animals..............but hopefully you will see some live ones soon.................all the best to you...........tink x

Great to hear that your arrival has gone well.

That drive down the steep section of the Southern Outlet into Hobart from Kingston is especially stunning after dark with the city lights twinkling.

I'm wondering if your Navigon app had problems around the Kingston area because a bypass road has recently been built around it to carry traffic going further south and the app hasn't adjusted to the recent road changes?

The roadkill animals are particularly high at the moment because we have had a dry spring and summer and they are having to travel great distances to find fresh feed. Inevitably, for many, that means crossing roads.

The roadkill is always horrendous.

We always stop if its a big wallaby or wombat, to check pouches for a baby, but usually if there is one it is too late.They are usually hit pretty hard.

Its a bit worse now,because of the time of year, but the roads are always full of dead wildlife , its very sad.

Hi Violethaze,

I'm glad you're enjoying your first impressions of Tasmania, it is a beautiful place. I've only visited Kingston once - I tend to avoid the places named after London suburbs near where I used to live! - but it seemed like a nice place with a lovely beach and modern facilities.

Yes, it's sad to see all the roadkill, but I tend to view it in positive terms and as indicative of the strength of the wild populations. I've not spotted a wombat yet in Tasmania, but was lucky enough to see a platypus in middle of the day at Mount Field.

Send me a PM if you want to meet for a drink some time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry I have been absent. No internet connection. I had heard that Tasmania has problems with internet but hadn't heard that Kingston was a particularly bad area.... until I'd arrived and a colleague informed me of her trouble, and then experienced it myself trying to get connection through iinet.... but Telstra doesn't have enough ports and it is all a bit disappointing for a person who has for the past three years been an internet addict. I guess every cloud has a silver lining and it will help with my transition back to being fit and healthy.

strick.... I will definitely PM you at some point. Probably when you least expect it.

Deborah... near to Kingston? Where might that be?

The drive from Kingston to work in Cambridge is fine. I was temporarily living at New Norfolk when I first arrived and that drive to Cambridge was a bit frustrating as there was crawling traffic for a period of time most days.

So, I'm in Kingston until the house I'm renting sells, until I break lease, or for 12 months. In the meantime I'll be checking out where I want to settle long term.

Crispysince... the job is going well, thanks. I settled in quickly and it is all good.

No internet connection. I had heard that Tasmania has problems with internet but hadn't heard that Kingston was a particularly bad area.... until I'd arrived and a colleague informed me of her trouble, and then experienced it myself trying to get connection through iinet.... but Telstra doesn't have enough ports and it is all a bit disappointing for a person who has for the past three years been an internet addict.

I had similar problems with broadband internet connection (I live in South Hobart) and my only option was fixed wireless. So that is what I have and it works fairly well (although slower than I would like at certain times of the day).

We're in Perth, and haven't managed to get over to the east coast much Yet (only managed to pass through Sydney en route to NZ) Would love to get to Tas, as I had relatives who emigrated there in the 70's. They lived in Hobart and Launceston, and are now buried there, (they were retired when they emigrated)

Unfortunately, like you the first wallabys that we saw were also road kill, but have seen loads of 'live' ones since!

Sounds like you are enjoying Tas, and things are working out for you, enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes the roadkill has been especially bad this year,we had one in the garden she must have been hit on the road and struggled to get where she died,on checking the pouch we found a tiny baby, no fur eyes still closed, Bonorong rescue park sent someone to pick the baby up, i doubt it survived but we couldn't leave in inside the mother. Anyway welcome to Tassie and good luck.