travelling back to UK with an 18 month old - eeekk!!

zephyr

Hello all,

Myself, my partner and our 18 month old boy will be moving back to the UK in 6 weeks time (after much deliberation.....) We will be travelling from Perth to Manchester and want to get back in as little time as possible, but realise a stopover gap might be beneficial for our son and us. I am looking for any advice on how to keep a child entertained on a long haul journey, tips, anything at all really that may help us plan. Has anybody done the trip in one go or stopped overnight somewhere? Help!!

Have done it a few times with my daughter from age 6 months to 2 1/2. I prefer no stop over, just get it over in a oner, bubs can sleep on the plane. Get him over there and back into a normal routine asap.

I think you'll find it easier than you expect. I've done flights to the between Oz and the UK on my own with my daughter when she was 1 and then 2 and a half. The only real problem there was that I was never ready to sleep when she was and so I was demented with tiredness by the end. With two of you this shouldn't be an issue. Starting the flight at night seemed to help as she was ready to sleep quite soon and we weren't too far from the stop-over by the time she woke. I agree with others to keep stop-over short. Just bring the usual assortment of stuff you'd take for a longish car journey. They'll give you a pack of little things for your child to play with. One of the main forms of entertainment is likely to be just walking up and down the aisles.

It'll be fine.

You would find it harder if they are older actually. I think 5 is about the worst age, as they can't operate the entertainment, but they want to use everything. We took books toys etc, plus some favourite foods (binned before we landed of course). But too be honest, he slept a lot, and we walked around the plane lots. One of the hostesses took him off us for half an hour (they love blond children)

Yup, don't prolong the agony! I'm in the "it'll be easier than you are imagining" camp. Have flown many times with my kids (usually on my own) and lately with the grandkids and most times they cope far better that you do! Travel light and leave late in the day are my basic rules. Good luck!

I agree with what the others have said, get it over in one go! we recently did it and was awful (not saying your experience will be like ours), we flew singapore airlines and would never again! our little girl first began crying in the check in queue, and continued crying screaming and being hysterical until we arrived in perth 22 hours later, return journey pretty much a repeat of the journey there! it was quite stressful, sorry very stressful as people were complaining and demanding to move seats and saying nasty things, but to be honest when a toddler starts crying and you've tried everything to stop them and nothing works theres not a lot you can do, she didn't sleep for a minute and neither did the rest of the plane :) we had a problem with food so i would say stock up with snacks and food to take on the plane, (which we didn't do) just incase, really hope you have a stress free journey and your little one takes it in his stride :)

We stopped in the hotel in Singapore airport for 10 hours. It was great to have a shower, proper sleep and let them both run. 3.5 and 7 months.

When baby didn't sleep and others were complaining, I told them I was doing my best and if they liked they could have a shot. No-one took me up on my offer! After 5 or 6 beers the crying didn't worry me too much.

Wrap up small little toys that are new - we did this on a recent flight and our little girl loved the fact she had new bits and bobs to unwrap and then play with. You don't need to spend a fortune - we got her little plastic animals, puzzles and books, mostly from places like Big W and the party aisle in Woolworths.

We liked the lunchtime flight out of Aus with our son (aged 22 months at the time). He was dropping his afternoon nap but he did conk out for a bit on the first leg. Then we had a couple of hours on the ground in Singapore and took off in Singapore evening. By this time son was suitably tired so we popped him in his PJ's, put him in his sleeping bag and he was asleep before we even boarded the last leg to Heathrow. He slept for a fair while but woke up about 6 hours in so a couple of hours before they put the lights on and served breakfast but that was ok. We kept him occupied with stories and a bit of TV and so on. Also the cabin crew were great when we pitched up back in the galley for snacks and milk for him (with son in tow).

Take snacks, small cereal packs they can eat dry or with milk. Also PJ's and blanket or sleeping bag to signal nighttime sleep etc. I never let little people sleep in their day time clothes on long haul when its their night time sleep.

Archived