HMV goes bust

ali

End of an era ... remember going to HMV in my younger days .. not good that they're not redeeming gift vouchers though.

Sad to see the demise of record shops, HMV is the latest in a long line. The end for me was when Fopp went out of business 7 or 8 years ago. There's been a long-term decline in it and the internet has killed them off really. I found this link when I googled for "Parrot Records" which was the independent record store of my youth - some great old bag designs on there from the days when having the right record shop bag was almost as important as what was in it:

http://www.voicesofeastanglia.com/2012/02/bags-of-style-record-shop-bags.html

I didn't realise that JJB had stopped trading too

Victim of sportswear falling out of fashion and greedy debt-fuelled expansion pre-GFC

Change is inevitable....and recessions always shake out the weakest. It's not all doom and gloom in retail - some shops get their business model just right and go from strength to strength. John Lewis for example, which was a collection of disparate shops operating under a plethora of brands 15 years ago, mostly out of old-fashioned premises. It's been transformed

That's a surprise to me after just returning as every Hmv went in across the uk was always packed with customers. Used to annoy me lining up for DVDs.

Jjb was more a case of not being able to compete with sports direct in my opinion. Sports direct prices unbeatable.

That's a surprise to me after just returning as every Hmv went in across the uk was always packed with customers. Used to annoy me lining up for DVDs.

Jjb was more a case of not being able to compete with sports direct in my opinion. Sports direct prices unbeatable.

I was reading that SD bought out some of the JJB stores,

My cousin worked at jjb before it closed. Another shop that i liked that closed quite a long time ago was original shoe co.

i wonder who will be next.

Just hope it's not sports direct. I'm hoping to be able to still buy all there stuff online from oz .

Sports direct has brill prices but i actually hate the shop! I buy my trainers from there, theyre only like £15 lol, just for walking the dogs and stuff like that. OH thinks im mad because i buy the exact same ones each time, so what - i like them!

Its quite good for jumpers too

I went shopping for presents at HMV the week Christmas - the prices were pretty good, not to far off those I could get on Amazon, but the checkout queues were huge and moving incredibly slowly - I really couldn't be bothered to wait, so my money went elsewhere. Shame really...

Just hope it's not sports direct. I'm hoping to be able to still buy all there stuff online from oz .

You can, but wait until they have an offer on reduced postage - it's quite pricey. I've been lucky that people have been coming over and i've had it delivered to their home in the UK and they've brought it with them.

Sports direct has brill prices but i actually hate the shop! I buy my trainers from there, theyre only like £15 lol, just for walking the dogs and stuff like that. OH thinks im mad because i buy the exact same ones each time, so what - i like them!

Its quite good for jumpers too

found it very cheap for kids wear. Lonsdale tshirts ect for 4-5 quid and cheap kids Shoes. Lonsdale can be pricey in oz. it's just a cheaper sports brand in the uk. Can't beat there specials . Niece and nephew are walking around in oz being envied by there friends.

You can, but wait until they have an offer on reduced postage - it's quite pricey. I've been lucky that people have been coming over and i've had it delivered to their home in the UK and they've brought it with them.

Thats a good idea, my aunt is coming over in feb. I shall go shopping and ask for some suitcase space.. :biggrin:

Sad to see the demise of record shops, HMV is the latest in a long line. The end for me was when Fopp went out of business 7 or 8 years ago. There's been a long-term decline in it and the internet has killed them off really. I found this link when I googled for "Parrot Records" which was the independent record store of my youth - some great old bag designs on there from the days when having the right record shop bag was almost as important as what was in it:

http://www.voicesofeastanglia.com/2012/02/bags-of-style-record-shop-bags.html

Victim of sportswear falling out of fashion and greedy debt-fuelled expansion pre-GFC

Change is inevitable....and recessions always shake out the weakest. It's not all doom and gloom in retail - some shops get their business model just right and go from strength to strength. John Lewis for example, which was a collection of disparate shops operating under a plethora of brands 15 years ago, mostly out of old-fashioned premises. It's been transformed

I used to love going into the Fopp Store in Cambridge Circus in London. They were always (ironically) cheaper than HMV and Virgin, but nowadays, Amazon rules UK. I'm really sad to see them go, but when you can buy the same stuff cheaper on the net and have it delivered PDQ then where does that leave stores paying expensive rates on the UK High Street?. I really hope in the wake of so many big names falling, that the UK High Street redefines itself, maybe offering niche products and services that the supermarkets and the internet giants don't bother with or can't provide.

I think with HMV it was only a matter of time, i'm suprised they have lasted this long to be honest with most people using itunes etc nowadays and when i went into a store before xmas i found a lot things i could buy cheaper online.

CD's i think will soon be obsolete...sad really, as i think there is a sense of worth when you can actually hold what you have bought in your hand opposed to downloading it from itunes. Makes you somehow feel like you're actually getting something for your money!

From what i understand Deloittes are in and looking for a buyer, they've announced the aren't accepting vouchers and have rendered them worthless but to be honest, you'd think there must be some legal clause for the fact people have handed over hard cash for nothing...especially when HMV anticipated this happening before Christmas, they knew they were in trouble and yet continued to offer gift vouchers in all of their stores...but i imagine there'll be some small print somewhere advising you purchase them at your own risk and that they cannot be held accountable for them not being spent before going into administration. Really sad...

From what i understand Deloittes are in and looking for a buyer, they've announced the aren't accepting vouchers and have rendered them worthless but to be honest, you'd think there must be some legal clause for the fact people have handed over hard cash for nothing...especially when HMV anticipated this happening before Christmas, they knew they were in trouble and yet continued to offer gift vouchers in all of their stores...but i imagine there'll be some small print somewhere advising you purchase them at your own risk and that they cannot be held accountable for them not being spent before going into administration. Really sad...

Same happened with Comet but they did start taking them again before it was wound up, so they're not worthless yet.

Archived