Please explain medical billing.

mrfordy

Somebody please explain doctors fee's please. Ive just had several appointments with my doc and paid the fees there and then. The receptionist then 'transmitted' to medicare. In the post i recieve 3 cheques made out to my doctor. Is this correct as i was thinking i would recieve some money back. I did actually for an Echo stress test which cost $700, i got $350 back.

Did i pay a reduced fee at the doctors and medicare paid the rest to make the full amount??.

Thankyou!! :smile:

I was charged for some blood tests that should have been bulk billed because the path request form also had some genetic tests that weren't covered. I filled in a claim form and they sent me a cheque for those bulk bill items made payable to the pathology dept and I payed the remainder.

When it comes to Dr's. I pay the fee and they do an automatic transfere at the surgery and am reimbursed directly to our bank account.

Bulk billing is what the medical practitioner does to Medicare. Each procedure or item such as a doctors appointment has what is called a schedule fee which is the amount of money that medicare will pay for each item. For example, my doctor charges $60 for a visit, l pay the $60 and claim back $35(l think) from Medicare. So a visit to my doctor costs me $25.

A bulk billing doctor or any other medical practitioner only charges the Medicare fee for each procedure so you do not pay anything providing you have a Medicare card.

Archived