Vetassess Assessment- Metal Fabricator

mikef

PeGibson

TRA and Vetasses are two different assessment bodies but with the same outcome.

Trades Recognition Australia(TRA)

• Is part of the Commonwealth Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations.

• Operates nationally, with its central office in Canberra and offices in Melbourne.

• Provides for skills assessment services for people with trade skills who are Australian citizens, residents (both temporary and permanent) and potential migrants to Australia. TRA may appear at Australian migration expo.

• VETASSESS:

• Assess several trades: bricklayer, electrician, carpenter, cable jointer, plasterer, and metal machinist, as well as others

• If the applicant who wants to migrate to Australia lives in the UK, South Africa, or a few other countries, they need to do a 1 day practical test.

• For information on whether your trades needs a practical test, simply register at the top-right, and your own assigned consultant will go through the options with you

• We do not give computer, automated assessments, and will talk with you about your situation

I choose to do a Vetasses Assessment which meant I did a technical interview submitted in writing and then went onto a practical. This was due to dates not being around the time i needed them. Also i felt i wanted to do a practical to show them what i could do. ( Picture paints a thousand words etc ).

When do you go to Oz and where you off?

Mike

Hi mike.

We fly out next Thursday from London, land Saturday in Adelaide..

Did our validation trip in November due to deadlines on that, purely because the house sale was not complete we had to come back to UK.. One way now though..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for your help guys

i am just gathering all my stuff for vetasses just now and will be applying in the next few weeks. The next vetasses assessment dates I will be able to make won't be until late summer so my agent said if I'm ready before that time I might just do a technical interview instead but I think I would rather do practical as you said mike it you can show what you can do . In the interview might end up getting asked stuff don't have a clue about

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi pegibson.i have my technical assessment interview on tuesday. im really nervous about it all and dont know what to expect. i have been reading a few forums to gather what i could find regards the interview questions. where you asked how to develop a hopper or cone? maths is my biggest problem really. if you could give me the low down on what else you were asked during the day it would be a massive help for me. thanks

hi pegibson.i have my technical assessment interview on tuesday. im really nervous about it all and dont know what to expect. i have been reading a few forums to gather what i could find regards the interview questions. where you asked how to develop a hopper or cone? maths is my biggest problem really. if you could give me the low down on what else you were asked during the day it would be a massive help for me. thanks

alright mate, don't worry to much about the interview, u basically just talk about your experience in your trade! Then 40 set questions he asks you, they will ask you about tig, mig, stick and flux core, they ask questions like ( how do set a mig set up, was gas you use for tig welding and what different kinds of welding electrodes can you get for stick welding ). They ask you what tools you have been using, talks a bit on safety aswel, ( pre starts, and site safety )

as as for maths questions I remember there being 1 question and it was simple, a drawing comes on the screen with a couple of measurements ( basic ie 500 + 250 + 250 = )

I done my vettasses in December 2013, got the results back in 10 days after the interview as heavy metal fabricator.

you will be fine mate, I no 6 or 7 lads who have done it in the last year and everyone has passed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and came across this thread! Wondered if anyone could help me and my partner!

We are hoping to apply for the 190 visa through his skills. hes a welder/fabricator at home here in UK, hes completed Trade Set and going for Metal fabricator for skills assessment.

Just wondered whether anyone had any preference on which RTO to use.. VU or Vetasess and any particular reason why? Ive read a few times that Vetasess has quite a long processing time?

Hes got all welding/fabrication certs through City and Guilds, Modern Apprenticeship and Level 3. Hes been working in the trade for 11 years in total (inc apprenticeship)

Just wondered if anyone could shine any light on the evidence that needs to be presented whilst applying for skill assessment, seen on the websites for both RTO's to include payslips, tax certs etc? How many of these must be provided?

Also, employer statements.. he's recently started a new job a few weeks back so slightly reluctant to ask his new boss for one incase he gives him the boot whilst hes still on probabtion ;) would this be a problem?

And lastly, certified copies in the UK... who can we get to do this? I know in Oz its Justice of the peace etc, would it be similar at home here in the UK? Just take them up to the court and get some jolly ol chap to sign them?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, hoping to get the Skill Assessment sent off next week so that we can apply for visa asap.

Only recently returned from Oz a few months back (temp visas) and missing the sunshine and laid back life ... :)

Thanks in advance if anyone gets time to reply! xxx

For the skills test, I'd go with Vetassess. Vic uni are actually the ones know to be slow and very picky. Thats what I did. As you don't have a AQF3, you will have to do the practical test, that's the bit that can take some waiting for. As the metal fabs ones only run 3-4 times a year, if demand is there.

As you can see from my time line, I didn't take that long. Although I went our and got a AQF3 by means of RPL before the visa proccess. Both to speed things up further down the line, but also as my employment history was minimal so to speak (I'm the business owner).

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

has anybody completed the metal fabricator technical interview, I've been told today from my agent that I will be doing this and it lasts around 2hrs, just want to know what I will be asked, I've been in the trade for over 20 years but nervous about it all really, don't want to get it wrong. It supposed to be chilled out and just chatting?? Would like to be prepared for it.

many thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

Im the same been thinking of this from day one of arriving in australia,im a pipefitter with 21yrs expereince both onshore and offshore,trained with a well known uk company as well as ecitb for a number of years have all the certs and yes even certs from way back when yts was on the go for basic welding.

I am far from a welder but have done some over them years but not a lot and not much tacking up jobs due to the locations of work i been on,I have a nvq level 2 as well as a craft cert,ace card and many papers from ex employer from where i worked to prove i was working on them jobs.

I am still finding the jobs but im probably being knocked back on more,some employers are telling me its a load of crap not needed and some employers say no oz qualification no job.

Anyone did it lately what was total cost and what was involved,as said im a pipefitter with some welding expereince but not much and very basic tacking experience,but other experience in other roles other trades do in uk due to where my job loctaions where and being flexible which will mean nothing towards metal fabricator.

Be good to get full details by pm of what you had to do,what you got asked,pretty much all involved as i may still go ahead and get this or carry on without or may end up moving back to uk where this be a waste of time.

In regards to the metal fabricator how recent have you done this and what was your fees,looking at there site its has various fees and i dont know what they all mean.i also was wondering if this all can be done from perth as im sure it was mentioned can be done online as well as a venue,i noticed in my older emails when i first looked into it that there was a place not far from me but looks like they are moving to city,i take if they want to assess you then this can be done at there place?

Im not working so cant be done at place of work.

Also anyone thats done this as metal fabricator please pm me just so i have a better idea whats needed,what you did and anything else thats good to know,i do have the advantage i have references from many of my employers when i did my own visa some years and others stuff they ask for as well as my pipefitting certs etc.

It might be something i need have to help with getting jobs,but i have been putting this off for a while now and thing it maybe best to have it.

• 10 months later...
Hi

Did you do your technical interview for metal fabricator? i have been told i will have to do this also and im tryin to find out exactly what the interview will be about

cheers

My husband did technical interview in Fabrication at Vetassess 3 months ago i guess, he said that you must look on the core units of Metal fabrication and he also asked about some measurements, and also about the equipments you used in fabrication and also the assessor will also go into your work experiences in your CV you passed to them, the health and safety thing, technical drawing too, for as long you are working in fabrication trade then you dont have to worry, if you have a forklift lic and first aid certification please bring it with you because it can add up to your points, goodluck :)

Edited by leah28

Thanks for your help thats great its put my mind at ease a bit , just really didnt know what to expect in the interview , i have to travel from Scotland down to England for the interview and was a bit daunting going not knowing what to expect.

No worries :) yeah i know how you feel because my husband been there too but you will be fine for sure :)

Edited by leah28

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, well my interview is booked for Manchester on the 29th september and im nervous already haha

really looking for any info at all on what kind of questions were asked during the interview ? what are the best areas to study ? i am a structural steel fabricator / welder to trade so only use Mig and stick welding and have virtually no experience of any other processes

is the interview hard or just really to check that you actully no what you are doing?

any help would be great

cheers

for mine, it was really just to check what you know. it should be pretty obvious if your a fake. They where very up on safety questions. What gear to wear for welding, eye protection, fume protection. What welding process has higher risk of these. ie fumes for arc, eyes for tig etc... As I can tig, asked what colour tungsten for each metal, that would catch out a faker. Key was to say no if you can't. They don't expect you to know / do, everything. I was asked about fluxcore, never done it. So just said no straight away. When they ask how you do something, always good to mention what tools to use as well. Ie, when asked how to check dims of part. Mention tape if it's big or vernier if small. Just sound confident. Mine was a remote interview over web, but still managed to build up a rapour with the guy. Talked about the broader subject, like more cnc machinery improving production proccess etc. Good luck.

Yeah, I fully agree. I had mine in 2013.

The interview (more of a chat) was conducted on a Skype kind of set up.

The guy interviewing me was very relaxed and easy to get along with. The conversation began with health and safety questions, and how you go about preparing, and approaching a job.

There were a few questions about welding gas mixtures, and as previously mentioned, the coloured tungstens uses.

There was one thing in particular, that I think made the guy know, that I know what I'm talking about, which was.... Has asked me to describe a marking out process, to form a shape.

I even impressed myself, with my answer..... I talked him through, step by step, exactly how to mark out a 'square to round'.

To be fair, I'm sure that those who know how to do this, will admit, it isn't easy to explain to someone, who isn't stood in front of you, without being able to draw any kind of diagram, exactly how to do this.

at this point, i felt that he was no longer sniffing me out, and was more interested in where I'd worked, and what I'd built over the years.

if you know what you're doing, have a bit of technical knowledge to back it up, then you'll be fine.

Good Luck mate. Let us know how you get on

i am hoping to have hopefully submitted my aplication by christmas time but my agent told me it can take up to 18 months for the visa to come through so just whenever it comes to to be honest.

i spent 2 years in Australia from 2008 until 2010 and there was loads of work for my trade in WA so if thats still the case might head there first but just anywhere i can get a job really i loved Brisbane and Syndey.

i am hoping to have hopefully submitted my aplication by christmas time but my agent told me it can take up to 18 months for the visa to come through so just whenever it comes to to be honest.

i spent 2 years in Australia from 2008 until 2010 and there was loads of work for my trade in WA so if thats still the case might head there first but just anywhere i can get a job really i loved Brisbane and Syndey.

Hi guys ive been reading this thread and am also booking a Skype interview .Bit nervous about being interigation thingy ,however it doesn't sound tooo bad from the previous post I guess.I am also a structural fabricator by trade and not that confident in developments & cones ect as I last done that in tech school loooooong forgotten,but I have done and still do get the odd tin fabrication jobs that crosses my path every now and again.I personally think that its all general fabrication regardless if its heavy or light .I am quite anxious about this interview as I don't know what to expect .Any info on recent interviews will be welcomed .