Vetassess Assessment- Metal Fabricator

mikef

Hi all

I also have applied for a visa, as a metal fabricator (322311). I have had my Training and Employment check come back as a successful. Level 1.

I have been booked on to do my Practical Assessment in December. Can you please give any information regarding Assessment?

Is the assessment done as a points scoring assessment? If so what kind of number of points do you require for a successful result? I belive that there some theory involved? What is this ? Is it like test papers? or just questions regarding your job? i.e. how to develop drawings, how you would go about doing certain jobs etc.

I thank you in advance for answering my questions. Look forward to hearing from you.

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi all

I also have applied for a visa, as a metal fabricator (322311). I have had my Training and Employment check come back as a successful. Level 1.

I have been booked on to do my Practical Assessment in December. Can you please give any information regarding Assessment?

Is the assessment done as a points scoring assessment? If so what kind of number of points do you require for a successful result? I belive that there some theory involved? What is this ? Is it like test papers? or just questions regarding your job? i.e. how to develop drawings, how you would go about doing certain jobs etc.

I thank you in advance for answering my questions. Look forward to hearing from you.

Mike

hi mike, how was your assessment? I hope you passed yours already. I have also lodged an assessment with vetassess for metal fabricator and it's a level2 optional- Documentary evidence supplied partially meets the trade requirements. A comprehensive skills assessment will be required. You are invited to proceed to a skills assessment however, caution is recommended as there is a risk of an unsuccessful outcome. Gaps in experience or knowledge were identified in some areas. Please check your result letter for further details.

I'm currently in Melbourne and working full time as a welder on a dependant student visa status. My company is willing to sponsor me. I've been working here since Aug 2011 and had work stints in the Philippines as a welder as well. I was told I should have just applied for a First Class welder assessment instead of a Metal Fabricator..

Any info/tips will be much appreciated. cheers!

Edited by jjeetthh

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am currently in process of completing my skills assessment with Vetassess as Metal Fabricator (322311). I also have received my Training and Employment check, which came baack as a successful - Level 2. It states "A comprehensive skills assessment will be required. You are invited to proceed to a skills assessment however, caution is recommended as there is a risk of an unsuccessful outcome. Gaps in experience or knowledge were identified in some areas. Please check your result letter for further details"

It now gives the option to do a technical interview or practical assessment. Which do you think is best? How did you get on?

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary (Liverpool, UK)

Hi Gary

Thank for your question. You will probably have to do the practical. This is better as this will show off your skills, more than a technical interview.

The college of northwest london is where you will probably be going ,

Get there early and there is plenty of parking ,

The only gear i took was my welding helmet , saftey specs and some gloves , they should provide you with the rest, square, scribe, rule etc..

I was assessed as a metal worker/fabricator

Its realy nothing to worry about .

I was assessed on the following:

* Cut, marked out and drill a series of holes from a working drawing ( Sooooo very simple)

* Cut, marked and folded and welded a small dust pan made from some 1.2 mm sheet. The working drawing we had was wrong. So we all made as much as we could that was correct, then left the rest. The drawing maybe resolved by time you come to do it.

* Complete a small amount of theory ie a small written test at the end. Covering topics from health and saftey , to measuring and drawing and also a small pattern developement.

* Also i fabricated a small earth type clamp out of mild steel. Again very simple.

The actual welding I did was.

* MIG, 8mm T fillet, vertical position 2no passes.

* MMA, 8mm T fillet, vertical position 2no passes.

* Plasma cut a 100 x 100 Sq from a 3mm plate. Again very simple.

The thicknesses of plate and positions of welding may vary depending on what plates they have cut up , and if your doing an actual " welder " test then they may get you to do a few other positions .

All in all, its really nothing to worry about, it is a very relaxed. They are not trying to catch u out or make it difficult , they just want to see that your not a Tyre fitter who once used a mates shitty Gasless mig at home and your trying to blag a visa as a fabricator ..

If you are a Fabricator, and work in the trade than it will be a breeze for you .

If you did a apprenticship or went to Tech then it will all be very familiar.

Stay cool , enjoy the day and youll be one step closer to sun and sand .

I have just received our visa approval through on Tuesday. So made up all our hard work has paid off.

R u living in Liverpool? Where in Oz are you off to?

Good luck.

Please let me know how you get on.

Mike

Cheers mike!

This info is very helpful - sounds ok to me and hopefully i have nothing to worry about (nearly 18years in this trade).

Thanks again mate and good luck! You must be over the moon that your visa has finally been approved. If you dont mind me asking, how long did it take for your actual visa to get approved (once you had submitted the final visa) ?

We are hopefully going for PR 190 (state sponsorship). I have paseed my IELTS and just waiting on the final bit of my skills assessment now before we can move onto the next step and submit EOI. With a bit of luck we are hoping to be there by end of year!

I am married with 2 kids (aged 5yrs and 3yrs) - currently living in UK and fingers crossed hoping to be in Perth, WA.

Where about are you moving to?

Take care and hope all goes well. Thanks again!

Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks for your reply.

Yes mate we are delighted it has finally come though. It has been a long 12 months planning.

Our visa process took around 8 weeks from "Invitation to apply". Had my skills assessment back in December, and it has gone so fast since then.

I like your self have around 17yrs in the trade. And am also married with 2 children aged 5 and 3. We also are moving to Perth.

When you say u r hope to be there by the end of year. Is that moving out there? We have decided to have 1 last Christmas here in the UK. And plan to go out, at the end of Feb, begin of March 2014.

Gary if you need any more info regarding anything just ask, and hopefully I might be able to help.

Good luck, speak soon.

Mike

Just waiting for my online interview date. Having passed stage 1 with no problems or short falls. I'm all for demonstrating my skills, but at $200 it's a lot cheaper. I have had one before for my AQF3 and it was simple. If your in the trade, you know just talking to someone if they are a fake. He even tried to trip me up on tig welding gas ' you use the same gas as mig don't you ??, you sure??. I was going to start laughing....It was more a chap than anything. With some technical questions thrown in. How to work out area of a circle, how to develop a cone. They ask a lot about health and safety as well. That seems a big part of it all.

Did you not go for state sponsorship Mike ?? 8 weeks seems quick.

Hi, sorry to butt in but I was wondering if you could offer a little advice please, relevant to the Vetassess application.

I am a Metal Fabricator and therefore lodging the form as such, I have been employed by the same firm for the past 4 years, prior to that, I worked in Oz and NZ on a working holiday Visa for which I have no evidence and prior to that, the companies I worked for in the UK have closed. I have been in the trade for 15 years. I have done the 4 year apprenticeship and am able to supply all the certification for this and have all the syllabus info etc. I have a detailed reference and statement from my current employer etc, all in all the evidence I can supply is pretty detailed. My concern is that I do only have info for my current employer and the apprenticeship that I did all those years ago, with nothing in between. Do you think this will reflect badly on my application? (I have already submitted online the Vetassess application and am now compliling all the evidence to send to them).

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Allan

Hi, sorry to butt in but I was wondering if you could offer a little advice please, relevant to the Vetassess application.

I am a Metal Fabricator and therefore lodging the form as such, I have been employed by the same firm for the past 4 years, prior to that, I worked in Oz and NZ on a working holiday Visa for which I have no evidence and prior to that, the companies I worked for in the UK have closed. I have been in the trade for 15 years. I have done the 4 year apprenticeship and am able to supply all the certification for this and have all the syllabus info etc. I have a detailed reference and statement from my current employer etc, all in all the evidence I can supply is pretty detailed. My concern is that I do only have info for my current employer and the apprenticeship that I did all those years ago, with nothing in between. Do you think this will reflect badly on my application? (I have already submitted online the Vetassess application and am now compliling all the evidence to send to them).

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Allan

Do you need points for work experience?

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone just looking for a bit of advice

i served my time as a structural steel fabricator / welder . I have worked both in workshops and on site over the past 11 years. I worked in Australia before on a working holiday visa which I only worked as a 1st class welder . I don't know whether I should do my vetasses as a metal fabricator as a welder as I have little experience working with light materials as most the work I have done is heavy structural like columns , rafters , bracing , beams etc

just looking for a bit of info before I make the decision

cheers

Paul

Edited by Paul wade

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
Hi, sorry to butt in but I was wondering if you could offer a little advice please, relevant to the Vetassess application.I am a Metal Fabricator and therefore lodging the form as such, I have been employed by the same firm for the past 4 years, prior to that, I worked in Oz and NZ on a working holiday Visa for which I have no evidence and prior to that, the companies I worked for in the UK have closed. I have been in the trade for 15 years. I have done the 4 year apprenticeship and am able to supply all the certification for this and have all the syllabus info etc. I have a detailed reference and statement from my current employer etc, all in all the evidence I can supply is pretty detailed. My concern is that I do only have info for my current employer and the apprenticeship that I did all those years ago, with nothing in between. Do you think this will reflect badly on my application? (I have already submitted online the Vetassess application and am now compliling all the evidence to send to them). Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.Many thanks, Allan

Regardless of weather or not you need the points for work experience this is most certainly an issue. I've come across this many times with people particularly in Ireland who can't evidence their recent work experience with pay slips tax documents etc. Are you paying taxes with your current employer? If you have been paying taxes then having that 4 years recent work experience is a blessing. However if you cannot provide the same evidence for your previous employers then you will not be able to use that for the purpose of skills assessment or point scoring.Your occupation is brilliant though, ideal. I did read that the Australian government are slowly starting to lean more towards professional occupations as supposed to trades but the demand is evidently still there as your occupation is on the SOL 1 list.

Edited by Ryan the wizard of oz

Hi everyone just looking for a bit of advice

i served my time as a structural steel fabricator / welder . I have worked both in workshops and on site over the past 11 years. I worked in Australia before on a working holiday visa which I only worked as a 1st class welder . I don't know whether I should do my vetasses as a metal fabricator as a welder as I have little experience working with light materials as most the work I have done is heavy structural like columns , rafters , bracing , beams etc

just looking for a bit of info before I make the decision

cheers

Paul

Hello Paul.

Maybe have a look at these 2 webpages, which discuss the two occupations:

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/w/welder-first-class.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/m/metal-fabricator.htm

See also the descriptors for the occupations here:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~First+Edition,+Revision+1~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+3223+Structural+Steel+and+Welding+Trades+Workers

Maybe also telephone VETASSESS on +61 3 9655 4801. They are in Melbourne, which is UK time +11 hours => call after 10pm in the evening UK time.

Best regards.

Hi Gary

Thank for your question. You will probably have to do the practical. This is better as this will show off your skills, more than a technical interview.

The college of northwest london is where you will probably be going ,

Get there early and there is plenty of parking ,

The only gear i took was my welding helmet , saftey specs and some gloves , they should provide you with the rest, square, scribe, rule etc..

I was assessed as a metal worker/fabricator

Its realy nothing to worry about .

I was assessed on the following:

* Cut, marked out and drill a series of holes from a working drawing ( Sooooo very simple)

* Cut, marked and folded and welded a small dust pan made from some 1.2 mm sheet. The working drawing we had was wrong. So we all made as much as we could that was correct, then left the rest. The drawing maybe resolved by time you come to do it.

* Complete a small amount of theory ie a small written test at the end. Covering topics from health and saftey , to measuring and drawing and also a small pattern developement.

* Also i fabricated a small earth type clamp out of mild steel. Again very simple.

The actual welding I did was.

* MIG, 8mm T fillet, vertical position 2no passes.

* MMA, 8mm T fillet, vertical position 2no passes.

* Plasma cut a 100 x 100 Sq from a 3mm plate. Again very simple.

The thicknesses of plate and positions of welding may vary depending on what plates they have cut up , and if your doing an actual " welder " test then they may get you to do a few other positions .

All in all, its really nothing to worry about, it is a very relaxed. They are not trying to catch u out or make it difficult , they just want to see that your not a Tyre fitter who once used a mates shitty Gasless mig at home and your trying to blag a visa as a fabricator ..

If you are a Fabricator, and work in the trade than it will be a breeze for you .

If you did a apprenticship or went to Tech then it will all be very familiar.

Stay cool , enjoy the day and youll be one step closer to sun and sand .

I have just received our visa approval through on Tuesday. So made up all our hard work has paid off.

R u living in Liverpool? Where in Oz are you off to?

Good luck.

Please let me know how you get on.

Was the welding on the dust pan done with tig ?

thanks mike

this is where i get confused about the metal fabricator assesment. to me using material so thin is basically more sheet metalworker , i have no experience working with materials so thin and have never even touched a tig welder as most the work i have done is heavy structural steel . in oz i would be called a boilermaker which comes under metal fabricator, dont want to go down to London and end up looking like i dont have a clue whst im doing haha

Hi all

Jumping in here too.

I have a visa 190,

Metal fabricator 322311.

Although I am more of a tig welder sheet metal worker by trade..But after looking through my trade certificates etc, he felt metal fabricator suited me more.

I did an online skype for my skills assesment with the TRA, no practical tests at all.

Wondering why you guys did the practical test?

what kind of questions were you asked in the interview ?

Alsorts from welding processes, health and safety, maths, types of sheet metal development, I.e radial line, triangulation etc.

Although at the start of the interview the questions were more heavy fabrication, like repairs to a ships hull, I told him I was more sheet metal work and he changed his questions accordingly..

Paul

I would not worry.

On the day there was including myself 3 people on the course. One of those was a welder. He completed the fabricator course, it is not complex at all.

To be honest I thought it was a total waste of money. But I needed the Certification to get into Australia. Regarding the dust pan it may of changed to something else, as previously to my assessment in 2012 it was a simple paper tray.

They are not there to trick you, they are quite helpful. I had not really done any TIG before assessment, but completed it. Afterwards the assessor sits down with you, and fills in a checklist of things you can do. If you feel you cant do TIG weld don't tick the box.

When is your assessment?

Mike

PeGibson

TRA and Vetasses are two different assessment bodies but with the same outcome.

Trades Recognition Australia(TRA)

• Is part of the Commonwealth Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations.
  • Operates nationally, with its central office in Canberra and offices in Melbourne.
  • Provides for skills assessment services for people with trade skills who are Australian citizens, residents (both temporary and permanent) and potential migrants to Australia. TRA may appear at Australian migration expo.

• VETASSESS:
  • Assess several trades: bricklayer, electrician, carpenter, cable jointer, plasterer, and metal machinist, as well as others
  • If the applicant who wants to migrate to Australia lives in the UK, South Africa, or a few other countries, they need to do a 1 day practical test.
  • For information on whether your trades needs a practical test, simply register at the top-right, and your own assigned consultant will go through the options with you
  • We do not give computer, automated assessments, and will talk with you about your situation

I choose to do a Vetasses Assessment which meant I did a technical interview submitted in writing and then went onto a practical. This was due to dates not being around the time i needed them. Also i felt i wanted to do a practical to show them what i could do. ( Picture paints a thousand words etc ).

When do you go to Oz and where you off?

Mike