Citizenship time frame??

margret1

Hi There,

I'm currently waiting on a date for my ceremony and have been doing so for quite some time now. My local council is Woollahra but have heard nothing since the approval letter back in July. I've read that the whole process should be no more than 6 months but I've heard of some pepole waiting longer than this. I think it really depends on your local council and when they can fit you in for a ceremony.

June 16th 2012: Applied for Citizenship

July 4th 2012: Took Citizenship Test

July 5th 2012: Citizenship Application Approved

July 9th 2012: Recived approval letter from DIAC

*STILL WAITING ON CEREMONY*

Hi There,

I'm currently waiting on a date for my ceremony and have been doing so for quite some time now. My local council is Woollahra but have heard nothing since the approval letter back in July. I've read that the whole process should be no more than 6 months but I've heard of some pepole waiting longer than this. I think it really depends on your local council and when they can fit you in for a ceremony.

November 8th 2012 - Recived letter from DIAC on ceremony date

November 21st 2012 - Ceremony

UPDATE - recived my letter from DIAC last night. Ceremony set for 21st November.

Congrats jocat! That's good news!

My time line is:

Applied for Citizenship : 25th October, 2012

Citizenship Test: WAITING

My local council is Brisbane.

Did you upload form 1195 (Identity Declaration) or did you physically take it with you for your appointment?

Thanks.

Good luck to the rest.

Thanks for that info. Can you please answer my Question? ^^

Hi There,

November 8th 2012 - Recived letter from DIAC on ceremony date

November 21st 2012 - Ceremony

UPDATE - recived my letter from DIAC last night. Ceremony set for 21st November.

No idea to the answer sorry - our Citizenship came through in 1993 and we only had to take our Brit passports along to the ceremony to prove who we were. Why not ring the Citizenship people and ask them.

Edited by Rossmoyne
It's Saturday and my Grammar hat got left in the waldrobe....

I'm a bit confused about some of the comments regarding university fees. Don't you need to be a permanent resident before you can apply for citizenship? Aren't university fees the same for permanent residents as they are for citizens?

Yes you need to be a permanent resident before you can apply for Citizenship - see the DIAC website for qualification details. Not sure about the permanent residency/Citizenship status and uni fees though so you might need to check that with the Uni you are wishing to enrol at.

Hi yes

You need to be a PR before you can get citizenship. You need to have been in Australia for 4 years and been PR for at least 1 yr. The fees are the same for PR residents as citizens, but you cannot get a student loan unless you are a citizen.

So as a PR you need to find the money and pay upfront for each semesters fees, when your a citizen, you are then eligible to be able to get a student loan to pay the fees, as in the UK.

I'm a bit confused about some of the comments regarding university fees. Don't you need to be a permanent resident before you can apply for citizenship? Aren't university fees the same for permanent residents as they are for citizens?

Guest Guest26012
Goodness, I hope it doesnt take that long here. We are going to have to pay sons Uni fees in March and applying in Feb. We are hoping its all done, before the next payment is due in August, so he can get a student loan!

From taking the test we waited six months for the ceremony! That's our council though, yours may be quicker!

Hi Jocat,

Great news for you! congrats to becoming an Aussie.

I have a question if you could answer.

Do I need to have overseas or Oz police clearance again when applying online? (I travel overseas for 10 days in the year prior to applying for citizenship).

Thanks mate.

Hello there I logged my citenzenship application form online 3 weeks ago and heard nothing does anyone no the time frame?? Much appreciated

Applied 12th May 2012 (paper application, Melbourne)

Citizenship Test 29th July

Approval Letter Received 1st August

Ceremony invite 21st October

Ceremony Yesterday (12th November) - Whittlesea Council, VIC

Guest GeorgeD

You don't need to do it in your own council area! A friend of my wife's phoned our council to see if he could do his in Logan rather than Gold Coast. He said it was going to be easier for friends to attend...the person he spoke to in Logan said it wasn't a problem, they get asked all the time! Maybe phone neighbouring councils if there is an impending deadline.