Flying a budgie overseas - is it too much for the bird?

Newstart

Hi Bob,

I understand you don't answer questings relating to flying pets to the UK. However, I wondered if you have transported budgies from UK to OZ and if so, what is your experince on the impact it has on the birds?

I am quite worried what to do about my pet budgie who is around 8 years old. I would love to take her, but I worry because of her age, it could be too much for her (even kill her).

If I leave her here; do budgies fret for their owners? As she is close to my father and he talks to her all the time even though she doesn't come out of the cage. Another issue is he wants to leave her behind in an aviary. This concerns me because she got into fights in the breeding box and we have never kept another bird with her. She does like being put outside to talk to the wild birds. I just wouldn't like to see her injured. And having her own cage and toys is what she is used to.

So any advice on what is best to do for the sake of her would be much appreciated. :)

Guest chris955

Unfortunately you can send dogs, cats, horses, sheep, goats, donkeys, alpacas and many other things but not budgies I'm afraid. It would cost an absolute fortune anyway even if it were possible.

For the sake of anyone else that reads this in the future, I am afraid I am going to have to correct you all. I have already done the research ages ago.

Commercial export of native birds is not allowed. However, you can export up to three native birds that are pets! I also, don't require a permit since budgies don't fall under CITES.

For the sake of anyone else that reads this in the future, I am afraid I am going to have to correct you all. I have already done the research ages ago.

Commercial export of native birds is not allowed. However, you can export up to three native birds that are pets! I also, don't require a permit since budgies don't fall under CITES.

Not suree where you looked, but I've just been on the Australian Government AQIS site and it seems to say that pet birds can only be brought in from New Zealand.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/other

Please post an alternative link that says otherwise to prove me wrong, but this is what I found.

Ignore me - I've just realised you are looking at taking the budgie from Australia not bringing it in.

Guest The Pom Queen

I think it's a case of everyone thinking you were bringing the bird in to Australia. For exporting out of Australia then you are correct, look here http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/live/household-pets.html

Guest Guest26012
Hi Bob,

I understand you don't answer questings relating to flying pets to the UK. However, I wondered if you have transported budgies from UK to OZ and if so, what is your experince on the impact it has on the birds?

I am quite worried what to do about my pet budgie who is around 8 years old. I would love to take her, but I worry because of her age, it could be too much for her (even kill her).

If I leave her here; do budgies fret for their owners? As she is close to my father and he talks to her all the time even though she doesn't come out of the cage. Another issue is he wants to leave her behind in an aviary. This concerns me because she got into fights in the breeding box and we have never kept another bird with her. She does like being put outside to talk to the wild birds. I just wouldn't like to see her injured. And having her own cage and toys is what she is used to.

So any advice on what is best to do for the sake of her would be much appreciated. :)

So are you trying to take your bird to the uk? Not from uk to oz? As in another thread you asked about taking food stuff back to the uk! Not sure about taking birds from oz to uk and what the rules are?

Guest guest71686

I would say that a budgie would get too tired flying over 10,000 miles from the UK to OZ it would have to beat its wings lots and lots and lots :tongue:

Archived