Any in Oz Know Anything About Coles Supermarkets??

Guest Andrea Bridge

Guest Andrea Bridge

Hi there, everyone.... This thread is aimed at the lucky ones, who are already in Oz. Can you let us know your impressions of Coles? My Hubby works for Tesco in the UK, and has for 23 years. He is coaches Store Managers on filling their Stores, having been a Store Manager for the last 14 years. Obviously, over here, we are spoiled with our salary, overall package, car, Pension, SAYE, shares, etc., etc. We have contacted Coles, regarding Steve being sponsored to go out and work for them, and are awaiting a response. Just wanna know what everyone thinks of them really... Thanks Guys! Have a super weekend.

Andrea x x x :notworthy:

Guest Redaussies

That's a very good post I think because you are listing all the package you have at Tesco, which looks an excellent package. Obviously you could lose out a lot. I can't tell you much about Coles on the points you ask, (but someone here will I'm sure) All I can tell you is their stores are about 15 years behind ours in presentation, their staff have little training on customer service or help, and when we were there they packed the discinfectant and the cold meats together. They really are years behind, even the new stores don't compare with the big new Tesco Extra stores. Cost wise, the bill for a full weeks shopping was working out more or less the same. I'd check it out carefully if I was you.

Guest Andrea Bridge

Thanks for that! Always handy to have as much information up your sleeve as you possibly can I feel! That's amazing... disinfectant and meat - together???!!! We shall have to wait and see whether we get a response from Coles. Will keep PIO posted on events! Thanks loads for taking the time to let us in on what you know. All the best,

Andrea x x x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Andrea

I agree with kdal that you should look into trying to get sponsorship from Woolworths instead/as well.

I suspect that you really want to know what the pay & perks are for store managers with both, though, rather than the end-customer's peceptions of the stores.

Please try the following links:

Woolworths Careers

Coles Group Limited jobs, careers and employment

They may give you an insight into the prospects with both groups.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Andrea Bridge

Hi Gill, No, but thanks anyway. We have done the research there, and obviously it will never measure up - but we never expected otherwise. What we want, is customer opinions, observations on Coles, etc. We shall see what comes up! Take care, Andrea x x x

Hi Just been to Caloundra Queensaland in October.... Coles are unfortunatley behind us, i usaully shop at Sainsbury and buy there own brands. but after shopping at Coles noticed a real difference... iam vegatarain and couldn't find any meat substitute at all eg quorn etc Linda Mc carntey's range would make a packet in Oz!!! Layout was a bit hit and miss and no good offers on foods etc. Staff were really helpful and packed my bags better than me! and the youngters were very polite... my friend's son has just stared working for them... has you can start work at 15yrs out in Oz... but if you do go you just have to take the rough with the smooth.. Oz is a fantastic country ...good luck!

Guest Andrea Bridge

Thanks, Shanti.... Every little piece of info is a help! Hoping against hope that we get in. Does seem to be a long shot really, but who knows?? Maybe they are waiting to be dragged into the 21st Century! Thanks again,

Andrea x x x

I happen to know that checkout assistants start on $22 dollars an hour. For unskilled work, I believe that this is considered good. Employment within the Coles/Myers group is very much sought after and very well respected. I imagine that further up the ladder, pay would also be comparatively good. It may not come near what you have at the moment and you may need to prepare yourselves for a drop in salary but a lot will depend on how far your salaries will need to stretch!

Just for the record, 30c of every dollar spent in Australia is apparently handed over to the Coles/Myer group! I would hedge my bets and say that they would probably offer quite an attractive benefits package...

Oh, and if you do end up working there will you take me with you when you shop at Myers and share your discount card please???? LOL!

Guest Flemish
Hi there, everyone.... This thread is aimed at the lucky ones, who are already in Oz. Can you let us know your impressions of Coles? My Hubby works for Tesco in the UK, and has for 23 years. He is coaches Store Managers on filling their Stores, having been a Store Manager for the last 14 years. Obviously, over here, we are spoiled with our salary, overall package, car, Pension, SAYE, shares, etc., etc. We have contacted Coles, regarding Steve being sponsored to go out and work for them, and are awaiting a response. Just wanna know what everyone thinks of them really... Thanks Guys! Have a super weekend.

Andrea x x x :notworthy:

Sorry after 28 years here nothing as changed with the supermarkets they are ****e , as I said sorry wish I could be more positve about that one. Went to Tesco today, i am here for a few months shopping bliss, customer service bliss, wish it was bwetter in oz.

If I shop at a big supermarket at all my preference is for shopping at Coles rather than Woolworths - couple of reasons, one is that the Coles stores IMHO are better presented, they look cleaner and tend to have wider aisles. I also usually have less hassle with queueing in Coles - our local Woolies is terrible. I also like that I get my Fly Buys and discount vouchers for Shell (more Fly Buys). Their specials are nicely marked and I find that prices are comparable with Woolies. Range - well, they have as good a range as any Aussie supermarket. Comparing them with UK supermarkets is not really the issue.

A word of warning - the Aussies do not like people who come in and tell them how to do it better - you have to have the accent and a lot of runs on the board here before they are likely to listen!

My son worked at Woolies as a shelf stacker - seemed to be OK for him as a uni student wanting pocket money. I have no idea what it is like to work for Coles.

Would have to agree with Quall - my aussie colleagues tell me of all the 'poms' who have been (and gone), who make comments such as 'are you still doing that', ' we got rid of that 10 years ago' 'We don't do it like that in England' - both hubby and I kept our mouths firmly shut (even when the boss showed hubby 'new equipment' which had been put in the skip at his uk company some years previously.... to make changes you have to be rather subtle.

Ali

Guest Nick'n'Trish
I happen to know that checkout assistants start on $22 dollars an hour. For unskilled work, I believe that this is considered good. Employment within the Coles/Myers group is very much sought after and very well respected. I imagine that further up the ladder, pay would also be comparatively good. It may not come near what you have at the moment and you may need to prepare yourselves for a drop in salary but a lot will depend on how far your salaries will need to stretch!

Just for the record, 30c of every dollar spent in Australia is apparently handed over to the Coles/Myer group! I would hedge my bets and say that they would probably offer quite an attractive benefits package...

Oh, and if you do end up working there will you take me with you when you shop at Myers and share your discount card please???? LOL!

Sorry for side tracking the thread.........

Hey Nelson, do checkout staff really get $22 ph?????? If thats the case, I'm dropping my nursing profession like a hot 'tatoe!!

We've recently moved to Queensland and its gotta be the most backward of the states with the POOREST paid jobs in any of the states....though a GORGEOUS place to live (gotta take the good with the bad hey?!) I'm a Registered Nurse and get $23.85 ph base rate (then the usual shift penalties). I reckon I'd rather pack bags, serve (majority) pleasant people and work decent hours for basically the same wage.....(oh yes and with most public holidays off!). Yep, i'm over bed pans....Coles here I come!!:arghh:

Oh well, I'll keep plodding on :cute:

Trish

Andrea,

All i can say about coles is that they are well behind !!! (i worked for morrisons and a couple of others back home) our local coles is shabby and not very wide isles and the customer service is bloody awful - they have no idea how to pack a carrier bag and i often end up with tins or toilet cleaner in with my chicken !!!! we really need Mr Tescos to get over here and sort out the supermarkets epsec coles -

there is little competition here in oz - think they have recently been brought out by west farmers & there was talk of a uk company buying them but guess they didnt

Guest funiowcple

Hi when we lived in Oz we did most of our grocery weekly shop in Coles in Arana Hills in Qld. But still found the fruit barns better and cheaper for fruit and veg and we used a wholesale/retail butcher as well. We use to buy a side of lamb for less than $20 au. Ohh the good old days.

But generally we like coles over the other supermarket options around where we lived. Staff were good, there was groceries on the shelf (which is not the case at our local sainsbugs) and prices we OK. But i suppose it is what you get use to, we still use tescos on the isle of wight even though we have to drive past all the other supermarkets to get there, Cos we've worth it...lol.

Im sure once you get there, settle in, get yourself organised then have a look around at what the others can offer.

Guest John Sydney

I am pretty sure Coles has been bought out by Westfarmers a Perth base group Westfarmers run Bungings building supply company - I also think the new head of Coles is a Pom signed on to sort out coles

Try searching for westfarmers group to get more information

Guest JAMIEKERRIE
That's a very good post I think because you are listing all the package you have at Tesco, which looks an excellent package. Obviously you could lose out a lot. I can't tell you much about Coles on the points you ask, (but someone here will I'm sure) All I can tell you is their stores are about 15 years behind ours in presentation, their staff have little training on customer service or help, and when we were there they packed the discinfectant and the cold meats together. They really are years behind, even the new stores don't compare with the big new Tesco Extra stores. Cost wise, the bill for a full weeks shopping was working out more or less the same. I'd check it out carefully if I was you.

Agreed- Coles (most expensive a la Marks and Spencers but nowhere near as good in terms of quality etc), Woolworths (shopped there bit cheaper than Coles but still expensive compaired to UK) best of a bad bunch..then the rest such as IGA etc are like Netto at best..also be warned that 2 for 1 or buy 1 get one free doesn't really exist in Aus-even the more "upmarket" (use the term loosely) stores Coles/Woolies the delies/bakery section etc the variety and quality are years behind..although the bakeries in the high street ARE awesome..basically lack of competition in Aus is the reason for this-along with very expensive broadband etc..by the way I loved Aus believe it or not and may well be returning-guess it's a case of swings and roundabouts and where you are used to shopping..

Guest JAMIEKERRIE

Hi- Not sure where you heard that-as when I applied on the Woolies websight and in person at the store in Maroochydore I was quoted the AWARD for retail which is around $14 an hour! Assume it would be the same for Coles-but may be wrong!

Jamie.

Archived