What happens at Singapore airport during stop?

smithinoz

Hi all,

Just wondering what happens at Singapore airport when you have a 4 hour stop. Do you have to collect your cases or are they automatically put on the next plane? Do you wait in the departure lounge area?

Also, did you all lock your cases, or are you expected to leave them unlocked nowadays?

Thanks x

4 hours goes quicker than you think...

your checked in luggage will be transferred onto the other flight for you, all you have to do is make your way from the gate you arrived in to the next gate you intend to leave Singapore Changi Airport from...it should only take you a short time to move from each gate, and there is also a quick train that takes you there.

so you will definitely have time to look around the shops, grab a bite to eat etc

i would also recommend heading up to the snooze lounge if you are really tired as its much quieter and there are beds available there. also there is a 24hr food outlet so whatever time you travel you dont go hungry! :P

luggage wise..i have never locked my luggage and no one i know really does, it is pretty safe however if you are really carrying something valuable just get a lock on it...preferably an official one that the immigration staff can open without you if need be.

Guest Trueblue22

I've got a 4 hr layover as well, with a 4 yr old.

Changi Airport is apparently one of the best in the world!! You will not be short of anything to do - places to eat & drink (loads!), botanical gardens, wifi & gaming areas, cinema (all free), showers, swimming pool. I would check out their website. :)

Do double check about your bags when you check in for your first flight. Not all airlines automatically check them right through to final destination. I always ask........but then I am a bit of a control freak!

Ok, will do. Both flights are with Singapore Airlines, so i'm hoping they will take care of it all.

Changi is a great airport, all the time i flew through there my bags were loaded straight onto the next plane no worries, i always loved to have a wander around and check out whats new. The butterfly garden is lovely. Once i started to get tired then i went to find a free foot/lower leg massage chair in a nice quiet area, if you are leaving from heathrow you won't be on time so by the time you get there you will probably only have 3 hours max. Also the longest walk to the next gate was 20mins so no need to panic if you arrive in a bit behind time.

Guest Shell15

there is a foot massager which is free, my daughter and I hog this for at least 2 of those hours... its very good ;) It will go alot quicker than you think..

Just make sure you don't exist out through passport control to the real world :)

There's also a bunch of free internet kiosks - near the Hard Rock cafe and another lot along the same side further back.... (if you know Changi you'll know what I mean!) They're really useful :)

4 hours is a good gap - long enough to chillax and maybe grab a bite to eat and have a shower. But not long enough to get too bored.

:)

I have a 7 hour layover on my flight. I've heard there is a free city tour bus thing if your layover is more than 4 hours....not sure if this is right though !!

Really looking forward to the flight to be honest, and my little boy will be in heaven on the top deck of an A380.

I have a 7 hour layover on my flight. I've heard there is a free city tour bus thing if your layover is more than 4 hours....not sure if this is right though !!

Really looking forward to the flight to be honest, and my little boy will be in heaven on the top deck of an A380.

Yes that's correct but they only run during the day so it will depend what time your flight gets in. Whenever I flew out on the 10pm flight from London I was too late for the tours and only did them one trip when I caught a different flight (did two different tours that time and both were good).

Details here.

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgences/free-singapore-tour

Edit: just looking at the website it seems they've added some extra tour times, you might be in luck!

Just echoing what everyone else says....there's plenty of shops to look around and the butterfly garden is nice :). On the way to NZ we had a 7 hour stop over so we got a 6 hour block in the hotel room. Only slept for 2 of those as we were too wired though! I much prefer Changai over HK Airport....just saying that if you ever go through HK airport you need to clear immigration before you can get to the nearest hotel so it;s definately quicker and easier at changai....oh and cheaper lol!

Archived