utility bills

ian don

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Be prepaired for day light robbery when it comes to Electricity and Gas $600 last Quarter $960 this one double in two years rip of UK not got a look in.

Where are you living? Most people who posted on my bills thread paid a lot less than this but they lived in the warmer states and had months of great weather, not too hot and not too cold, so they weren't using any heating at those times ....... How big is your house and do you have a pool?

These make good threads for people looking at coming over, in the uk I live in a 4 bedroomed detached house, quite a bit smaller than the Australian average sized property and working out being paid at the average wage rate in Australia of $2.2 to £1 my gas and electric bills are .......$3,500 and ....... We don't have a pool, lol.

Guest guest30085

Think I'll live in tent when I move over :wideeyed:

. . . . mines well under £1000 for both Gas and Elec for the YEAR in the UK (well we are comparing arent we?:wink:)

Ive just recieved our Electric and its the highest ever at $700, I know it is winter and hubby had the plug in heater on in our bathroom and garage but its normally only around $500 mark of late so quite a few $$$$ more..

No Gas here,all electric so no other power bills.

Cal x

Both my gas and electricity bills are pretty low (have posted details of my bills over the past 12 months). It's not too difficult keeping them low, off the top of my head, this is what we've always done:

Electricity:

Washing machine - we always use cold water to wash. Washes just as well.

We never use the dryer. Clothes are either dried out in the shade or over the ducted heating vents in winter/on wet days (we have the vents in the bathrooms just under the tower rod - so dry some clothes on hangers)

Use energy saving bulbs.

Switch off TV completely - no standby power wasted. Also use TV on 'power saving - High' mode (around 5 hours a day)

We don't use any air conditioners

Gas ducted heating:

Run it for around 9 hours a day. Keep the temp set to 18C and use a very high energy rated unit.

Let the sun warm the rooms during the day and then close the block-out curtains on all windows at dusk. If there's no sun then we normally close the curtains in rooms that are not in use.

Use draught stoppers on all external doors. Have also used those foam (?) strips to cover any gaps around doors/windows

Guest guest17301

Just had mine in for past 2 months electric $380, gas $120 for last 3 months. Never had an electric bill over $450, its around that in Jan Feb and June, July, hottest and coldest months due to constant cooling or heating.

We have energy saving bulbs everywhere and don't have a dryer.

WOW:err: me thinks its time you sat down with all your family... and had a serious talk.... also remove any gremlins that seem to using your power when you are not looking lol.... l hope you are going to tell us that you have at least five teenagers demolishing every known source of energy to get those kinda bills... l would look close at your neighbours as well lol! they could be hooking up as well..... l was moaning at $234 for electric and $67 for gas...no solar but l cook alot on bbq especially joints of meat.. and we have a Rheem instant hot water instead of the good ole storage...oh and a pool... hmm sounds like we have hitched up to next doors lol....

Be prepaired for day light robbery when it comes to Electricity and Gas $600 last Quarter $960 this one double in two years rip of UK not got a look in.

The big energy suckers are heating and cooling, especially if it's electric. TVs on standby and bulbs off is all very well, but a reverse cycle ducted system of reasonable size could easily be rated at 7Kw or so - more than a hundred light bulbs, or 200 things left on standby

Tumble driers take a fair bit as well. Heating water less. Everything else is more or less negligible. Ovens have a high rating but you're not using them that often

This is why I bitch so much about poor insulation. It's such a waste of money and energy, it can mean the difference between running your heating/cooling for an hour a day or so to cope with extremes, and 4-6 hours daily for a good chunk of the year. At 25c+ per kWh, an hour of that 7KW system will cost you $1.75 - soon adds up, $10 a day on it is easy to spend and then you're hitting the $1K a quarter bills

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I have researched this subject over the years and it varies so much, some pay about $1,000 a year and at the far end some pay $1,000 per quarter, most somewhere in between and I think there's a lot of reasons why, the size of the house, the efficiency of the heating system, the state you live in, etc.

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm wondering if it's because up here we only have Ergon so they don't need to be competitive. We only run the pool pump 2 hours a day. We have no heating, don't use aircon for 9 months of the year, dry the clothes outdoors during dry season

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Your bills do seem very high Kate, what's the per unit price and how many do you use?

She lives in a mansion with a pool, it's like South fork. Lol

I got my leccy bill today, $238 for 2 months, we have a fridge/freezer, a chest freezer a beeer fridge out the back, our computer is on 24/7, 2 telly's,2 foxtel units, a dvd player a playstation, so much stuff connected to the computer it is unreal, I use my dryer when I need too so maybe an hour or 2 a week when it is raining alot. A fishtank (small), always charging mobiles, DD charging Ipod. My washing machine,I boil the kettle about 100 times a day (not really but alot), diswasher once a day. I do turn washing machine/dishwasher of at the switch too. I think what helps our bills stay low is that I can't stand light I pretty much have out kitchen light on and the light from the telly and computer. We have our hallway light on all night for the kids .

alot of info but just to give you any idea.

I also think people have to take into acount if people are home during the day through the week.

Laney

Hi Fi, I have Gas hot water system which is instant a 5.5 star rating which is pretty good and I have an old cooker which is gas for both hob and oven, I have gas ducted heating in the house which is lovely, but don't have any heating in our big back room, my gas bill is normally about $100 or so but in the winter months with the gas heating on it can hit $300 but I don't use an awful lot and it is on for about 4hrs when it gets below 6c say, not on tonight. I think if I used the heating alot my gas bill would hit $500 or so.

Laney xx

Got my first bill last month for 23 days of electricity @ $206 minus $30 connection fee.

High, considering I had only a fridge, not much bigger then a microwave, TV, & charging the laptop! Reverse air ducted & separate stand alone reverse air unit. Which I didn't use. Water is solar heated.

A friend of mine had a bill for two months @ $170

Dreading the next bill, since buying the living the dream double door fridge, big enough to accommodate a rampaging bull in a china shop.

Guest The Pom Queen
Your bills do seem very high Kate, what's the per unit price and how many do you use?

I'll let you know tomorrow as I'm tucked up in bed

Guest The Pom Queen
She lives in a mansion with a pool, it's like South fork. Lol

In my dreams, the houses are tiny here

In the UK we recently got a smart meter reader thingy which shows our usage.

It was really interesting to see what actually makes the biggest difference. Leaving TVs and computers,printers on standby makes no real difference. Our big Samsung TV cannot be switched off at the set only via the mains so we never do, but it designed to use virtually zero on standby and the meter didn't change when I unplugged it to see. Our big american style F/F uses less than the 8 downlights in the kitchen.

Seriously I nag about lights more than ever now! I used to bother about leaving computer/printer on stand by but now don't as it makes no real difference.

Biggest users are incandescent light bulbs (we have a lot as I like dimmer switches!) low energy ones don't trouble it. Kettle, but only in short bursts. Washer and Dryer (and both are A+ rated). And our oven.

We don't have aircon (this is Lancashire!).

Our house in Oz is rented but when we built it we had D, Glazing and extra insulation. All the tenants have commented on economical the heating/cooling is. This seems to be the biggest issue in most homes as the cooling/heating has to work really hard in big open spaces.

Archived