where to move to?? brisbane or perth?

jodi73red

We are going to return to Australia within the next few months as I am Australian and want to go home. We have 2 children and one will be ready to start school by the time we go, so we only want one move as otherwise to disruptive. I know Brisbane well as my parents are there but my husband needs to start off in perth so his driving licences are exchanged and our dog will fly into there as well. Would love advice as to where to go as perth houses seem so much dearer and we can get a better house in brisbane for our money, but just not sure where to go? any advice much appreciated.

thanks

Guest guest36187

Plus whatever lifestyle you are aiming for will have an impact.

If you are heading here to be near parents, Perth is a good four hours away by plane

If your debating settling in Brisbane ,i would hold off doing a licence exchange in WA or you will just have to do it again once in QLD.

Ive not been to Perth so cant really compare , but i do love Brisbane, it has something for everyone from green forests and open space to urban living with a city feel.

Cal x

Like above depends what sort of lifestyle you want in Perth. Houses North and South of Perth near really nice beaches and areas about 30-50Km away from Perth are still on par with ones close to Brisbane. We live in the Northern suburbs near Hillary's. Expensive round the harbour but move 5 km away and you can get a 3x1 for around $370,000, 4x2 with a garage would be around $450,000 up. These would be double brick and tile houses too.

Move inland and the price goes down. Move further up or down the coast and the price goes down.

Does your husband have to come to Perth with the job?

Guest guest36187

Ive been to Perth and I live in Brissie. I do think though, if I had been sent to Perth for work I would have been happy there. It felt very like Brisbane to me but more remote.

I spent a few months in Perth (when I was younger and single) and really liked it. I had my heart set on living in Perth but the job came up in Brisbane. We really love living here and it seems like a great choice with a family too. What's swung it for us is how there is so much to do and it's easier to reach a lot more than from Perth.

I agree with the others though - go where the best work opportunities are as both cities seem like great places to bring up a family.

If your debating settling in Brisbane ,i would hold off doing a licence exchange in WA or you will just have to do it again once in QLD.

Ive not been to Perth so cant really compare , but i do love Brisbane, it has something for everyone from green forests and open space to urban living with a city feel.

Cal x

WA is the only state that will accept my husbands UK licenses and he has a lot so he doesnt want to lose them all thats why he has to start there, then once they are converted to australian he can easily change them for another state but qld wont even accept them. thanks for the advice :)

Hi there. I am married to an Australian who was brought up in Perth until the age of 12 and then moved around a bit and ended up in Brisbane until he moved to the UK to be with me at the age of 25 (6 years ago). He has most of his family in Perth. I have visited twice and I personally would say Perth is lovely, but very isolated. There is much more going on East coast and Brisbane is an excellent base. Not far from the gold coast and sunshine coast and there is far more going on. You do have to consider work etc but if you can find suitable employment in Brisbane I would definitely go there. My husband agrees the same. I guess it depends on what you want for your family really. We plan to move to oz in the next 4-5 years and will be joining the family in Brissie :biggrin: Good luck :smile:

WA is the only state that will accept my husbands UK licenses and he has a lot so he doesnt want to lose them all thats why he has to start there, then once they are converted to australian he can easily change them for another state but qld wont even accept them. thanks for the advice :)

Good on ya,lol, Queensland is a nightmare for any sort of trade licence so i dont blame you..

Cal x

Archived