Id like to know some names of shops in australia!?

Guest Isa

Depends how old you are and what you are into (and if you're male/female) and how much you want to spend. Lots of surf shops - girls like Roxy/billabong stuff - it's cheaper here. You might like Cotton On (which I think is Australian owned), sports girl, Supre (very cheap) Esprit, Witchery (do they have that in the UK). There's a start.

Guest Princessoftheworld20

Factorie, is a great fashion shop. But I think they are only placed in certain places in the United Kingdom(my home!) and some parts of Australia. Mostly Western area. There is also I think Burtons, which is a really good one aswell. If you need more help on shops, just reply. P.S by the way you know

Waterstones(the bookshop in England), well Dymocks is a bit like that.

There are quite a few individual boutiques .... if you are going to live in the big City you should get much better shopping than small towns, I have found that the shops here are no way as fashionable as in the UK, I love fashion myself and really struggle, but that may because I live in a small town ...

There's also Forever New which is similar to River Island in England. City Beach is good if you like surfer/casual clothes. On the whole Australian clothes shopping isn't as good as in the UK though (in my opinion). Luckily most UK stores now do worldwide delivery on online orders so that's how I'll be shopping when I move over :-)

There re loads of 'cool' designer one off shops in Melbourne but they don't have websites unfortunately.

ahh no! oh well im sure i will see them when im over there:)

Depends how old you are and what you are into (and if you're male/female) and how much you want to spend. Lots of surf shops - girls like Roxy/billabong stuff - it's cheaper here. You might like Cotton On (which I think is Australian owned), sports girl, Supre (very cheap) Esprit, Witchery (do they have that in the UK). There's a start.

great! thanks alot.. in the UK we have roxy, billabong but none of the others :0)

On the whole Australian clothes shopping isn't as good as in the UK though (in my opinion). Luckily most UK stores now do worldwide delivery on online orders so that's how I'll be shopping when I move over :-)

If you're not even here yet then how do you know that? I think you need to be here at least a couple of years to get to know what's out there, who sells what etc before you can make that judgement, and you're never going to do that if you continue to buy things from the the UK. If you hang on to wanting everything from the UK then you'll likely fail in Oz - it's things like getting to know the shops - and buying from them - that makes you feel like you belong.

Check out the charity shops, especially in the 'posher' suburbs, where you can pick up designer labels for a pittance. There's also some good 'retro' shops around, which I suspect source their stock from some of the charity shops, but they have some good stuff too.

There's a charity shop in Chalmers Street, Surry Hills, near to where I live, - 'Ted Noffs' - which has some good stuff, especially jeans. Surry Hills itself is the centre of the 'rag trade' in Sydney. For more expensive, designer gear, I guess Oxford St, Paddo & Woolahra and some of the back streets there, Queen St for eg, and also in Mosman. Maybe someone more fashion-conscious will 'shoot me down if flames' for suggesting those areas!

Factorie, is a great fashion shop. But I think they are only placed in certain places in the United Kingdom(my home!) and some parts of Australia. Mostly Western area. There is also I think Burtons, which is a really good one aswell. If you need more help on shops, just reply. P.S by the way you know

Waterstones(the bookshop in England), well Dymocks is a bit like that.

thank u sooooooooo much... do u live in the UK ?!?!? and i will google the shops

There are quite a few individual boutiques .... if you are going to live in the big City you should get much better shopping than small towns, I have found that the shops here are no way as fashionable as in the UK, I love fashion myself and really struggle, but that may because I live in a small town ...

haha thank u! i might spend lots of money in uk shops before i come so i caan stock up on uk clothes:D lol

On the whole Australian clothes shopping isn't as good as in the UK though (in my opinion). Luckily most UK stores now do worldwide delivery on online orders so that's how I'll be shopping when I move over :-)

If you're not even here yet then how do you know that? I think you need to be here at least a couple of years to get to know what's out there, who sells what etc before you can make that judgement, and you're never going to do that if you continue to buy things from the the UK. If you hang on to wanting everything from the UK then you'll likely fail in Oz - it's things like getting to know the shops - and buying from them - that makes you feel like you belong.

I've been to Australia three times, most recently on a WHV for 11 months so I think I know what the shopping is like, also both my sister who has lived in Oz for the past 2 years and my husband who is Australian agree with me that the clothes shopping in the UK is better. As I said in my first post, this is entirely my own opinion. The country from which I choose to buy my clothes does not have an impact on whether or not I'll fit in and just because I may continue to buy clothes from the UK once I have moved does not mean that I'll "fail" at living in Australia.

Check out the charity shops, especially in the 'posher' suburbs, where you can pick up designer labels for a pittance. There's also some good 'retro' shops around, which I suspect source their stock from some of the charity shops, but they have some good stuff too.

There's a charity shop in Chalmers Street, Surry Hills, near to where I live, - 'Ted Noffs' - which has some good stuff, especially jeans. Surry Hills itself is the centre of the 'rag trade' in Sydney. For more expensive, designer gear, I guess Oxford St, Paddo & Woolahra and some of the back streets there, Queen St for eg, and also in Mosman. Maybe someone more fashion-conscious will 'shoot me down if flames' for suggesting those areas!

I loved shopping at the charity shops in Perth. I worked in midland and had a Vinnies right next door and a Salvos across the street, perfect could go shopping on my lunch hour. I remember one morning driving into work and spilt hot chocolate over a white t shirt, no worries popped into Vinnies and picked up a lovely top, which I still wear to work here in Canada, in fact it is one of my fav tops.

Cheers

Karen

• 2 months later...
I've been to Australia three times, most recently on a WHV for 11 months so I think I know what the shopping is like, also both my sister who has lived in Oz for the past 2 years and my husband who is Australian agree with me that the clothes shopping in the UK is better. As I said in my first post, this is entirely my own opinion. The country from which I choose to buy my clothes does not have an impact on whether or not I'll fit in and just because I may continue to buy clothes from the UK once I have moved does not mean that I'll "fail" at living in Australia.

I agree with Anika.....I have found the odd bloke's shop in Sydney that is great (like Strand Hatters, brill place) but most of the posher boutiquey shops are very expensive without offering VfM IMO. And the mainstream stuff is very humdrum. It's *ok*, but there's nothing like John Lewis, Boden, White Stuff, etc etc etc

I found learning the brands fun and I know where I can go for OK ish stuff that serves a purpose and I do enjoy trawling the shops in the QVB* in Sydney but it doesn't really light my fire. And it's easier/better for blokes than women here, marginally, I think (as does the missus). The shopping here isn't a dealbreaker or anything, it's OK, but it doesn't light my fire

*I always said if I weren't such a terrible skirt chaser, I should've been born gay :D

Good call

Nah. You're not a million miles away but Mosman is a bit dry, too middle-aged middle-class lady-ish

Archived