Those that are living in Australia now...But not forever....

cartertucker

Please join my thread if you are one of those people/Families that are currently living in Australia, but have the thought that it wont be a long term thing....

I came up with the idea for this thread after receiving many PM's from people that felt the same way as I did & could sympathize with my threads/posts in the 'MBTTUK' section, but didnt necessarily want to post in that section :nah:

So lets enjoy this thread, chat about making the best of the time we live here, what we are getting up to & also how we cope with missing Family & Friends & familiar things whilst here etc etc....:chatterbox:

We only moved here to Western Australia 6 months ago, I will be honest, I thought it was a permanent move at the time, of course I did, why would I move my Family this far without that intention, however now, I am not so sure....We are staying to get our citizenship (at least) which we really feel important, as we have 4 children, one of whom is an Aussie

I am very lucky, my Hubby feels the same way, I know of other families where this isn't the case & I do really feel for them, that must be awful

~ My youngest 2 children are too little to know any different, as long as they are with us, that's all that matters to them, my 9 year old is enjoying his time here & has made a good best friend ~ My eldest (an adult himself) is also enjoying life, has a job, a good group of friends & a girlfriend! :wink:

I think my homesickness was worse, before we made the decision to stay for citizenship, now, we really feel that we can enjoy the next few years, we plan on taking lots of trips & even plan to visit other states, after all, what a fantastic opportunity to visit places that some people can only dream of... :daydreaming:

I hope that all of you that feel the same will enjoy this thread ~ Its a good thing to share our feelings & experiences...After all, unless you feel this way, you cant really understand what its like...:cute:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I moved out here two years ago to be with my now husband, I've enjoyed living here, and will no doubt have many more years living in Australia over the course of my life, but I'm not really one to settle in one place. I tend to get itchy feet after a few years, and OH would also like to experience living in another country, so there's definitely going to be more moves down the track,

We also feel it's important to spend a few years in Europe (not necessarily the UK, OH is spanish, so that's a possibility, and his brother's in the Netherlands, so that's another possibility, since there'd be jobs there for me) once any kids we may or may not have are old enough to build a meaningful relationship with their extended family in that part of the world.

In the meantime, we're making the most of this great country, In two years I've managed to visit all the capital cities except Canberra, and more importantly as far as I'm concerned, quite a bit of the countryside outside of the cities. I definitely want to do the grey nomad thing when we retire (yes I'm planning decades ahead), as you really need to time to do this country justice. In the meantime, just have to put up with a few days at a time in various places.

So far so good :)

Guest Tamjb

We haven't even moved yet but when we do we intend to stay until we can (hopefully) obtain citizenship then decide where we want to be. It's a wonderful gift to your children & will be theirs forever. Embrace oz & enjoy your time there, however long that may be.

My family have been here for over 22 years but when they came I stayed in Scotland. It was 4 years ago that a started thinking that Oz might be a better place to bring up a family and so me & partner came out to see how we felt. I had been many times and lived here but he had not. He loved it so we started the process of applying etc as soon as we got back to Edinburgh. I then eventually came out last Feb after many different visas to get us set up & our life in Oz started. He was coming out 6 weeks later which he did but only to end our 10 year relationship. It completely devastated me. From that moment everything changed for me. There have been other sad events and losses that have happened since I have been here too and its really tested me at times, but I have learned so much too. I have tried to make things work here but I think that all the sadness I have in my heart has just made it too difficult. My parents have now said too that they are going to return to Scotland so at least we will be together as being apart for those 22 years was very hard.

Perth is lovely but its so different and with how I feel at this point I need familiarity and comfort. I know that my personal circumstances changing is whats changed my opinion and had I been here with my ex like I thought I would be having a family I would probably not be even thinking about going home but they have and I am and I can't wait.

Emma ( going home in 8 weeks)

:hug:

Nice idea for a thread Cartertucker :-)

We came here 14 months ago with the intention of staying for good. However, I don't think it will be forever anymore. I can't see a future here, even though it has a lot to offer us. Sadly my OH doesn't feel the same and to say it has put alot of strain on our relationship is an understatement. He has agreed to look at moving back to the UK in the future, but I know it will be very, very reluctantly and I'm not sure how that will pan out... The biggest disappointment of all is that I feel like this! Never in a million years did I expect it. I researched the move to within an inch of our lives and so was pretty much prepared for anything. Or so I thought..... I have made a concerted effort in every way to make friends (I had a baby last year which has helped heaps in that department!) to find 'it just isn't right' So, like Cartertucker and the other poster's on this thread, I intend to make the best of what Australia has to offer and get out there and live my life here - for now....

Guest Yaksbunt

We have travelled and worked abroad for most of our 30years married and the best part is always the excitement of the move, after 18 months the novelty wears off and we want to do more exploring. We came back to Scotland after being in Canada and the middle East for 14 years and I have to say the rose tinted glass view of home has well and truly been shattered. I realize now that our travels and experiences changed us and our outlook. We expect more out of life than what we can achieve here. So next stop is OZ for a few years...then probably back to Canada (we took our citizenship -just in case)....but who knows...thats the beauty of the expat life!

We've been here 3 years and although I'm not unhappy here I don't see myself living here (Perth)forever.

When we started the process we originally agreed on Canada, but after a lot of research we decided Australia probably suited our needs/wants more. So the process began. Right from the off we we're going to Melbourne,but again after a lot of research decided Perth was a better option.

On arrival and the following few months O/H struggled to find work, over 100+ job applications he heard back from maybe 30 none of which resulted in a job. He ended up contacting a ex work mate from the UK who had migrated the year before, who thankfully managed to secure him a job at his work.

Once the initial holiday mode faded and the humdrum life kicked in it started to niggle away at me that Perth wasn't really where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. And figured at least get citizenship so the option is always there if we decided to go elsewhere.

Just over a 13 months of being here I found out I was pregnant, Our daughter was born in March 2011. Now our daughter is here and the kids are settled and doing well in school the urge to move isn't as strong any more, but it is still there. I'm not sure whether it will ever go but for the foreseeable future we are staying in Perth/Australia.

We feel that at the moment a major upheaval is the last thing the kids need and have already made plans to do a drive from Perth to Adelaide then onto Alice Springs and Uluru and then back to Perth, at Christmas,which is something we are all looking forward. We have also done a few camping trips to Shark Bay/ Monkey Mia and plan to visit a few more places down south and further North and possibly over East eventually, So whilst I'm pretty sure Aus isn't forever, while I'm here I'm going to make sure we see and do as much as possible and give our kids memories most kids only dream of.

Plus it's helps a little knowing we only have 1 more year to go until citizenship, and then we'll see what happens:wink:.

We will be heading back in 2.5 yrs, due to waiting for kids to finish their education. Knew within 6 months of being here that it would not be forever. It has never felt like home to me, I have always felt I was just a visitor.

We've lived in Perth for over five years now ( six in November). When we moved here I guess I did think it was forever, that was the idea anyway. BUT I also envisaged my family i.e. parents and younger brother joining us at some point also. That changed about 18 months ago when I knew for definite that my family would not be emigrating ( finances mostly put paid to that) and that sort of gave me a shake up. It's quite something to face life in another country at the other side of the world from your family when it wasn't the original plan. Sort of threw me for a loop really. A lot of emotions involved.

Anyway, life here has been for the most part extremely good. We have a great lifestyle and are lucky enough to be a success story as far as emigration is concerned. But recently I had a major 'wobble' and became quite desperate to return to the UK. I have missed family, my best mate, Europe and just that familiarity of the UK, you know? The rose tinted specs have definitely been working overtime though too. And when that happens you can lose sight of the good things that Australia does have to offer.

Recently we made the decision to return to the UK, told parents, mates etc and have begun to pack up our house. Well, I have changed my mind...it's the oddest thing. I wrote this on another thread but it does sum it up for me, basically when I felt trapped all I could think about was escape, how I had to convince my OH that we should go 'home'. It took me 18 months. OH finally agreed and was quite looking forward to it even ( although very concerned about the job situation) and we were all set. Once the door was open for me to escape though I found that I didn't want to walk through it after all. So, we are staying in Oz for the foreseeable future, albeit with an inter-state move on the horizon (we've always wanted to try Melbourne).

I'm thinking we give Oz another couple years at least and then look at the UK again. I will never say never because I know how easily people can change their minds, lol. So maybe Australia is not for forever, or maybe it is, who knows? It's right for now.

Really enjoying reading all your experiences & reasons why you feel that one day you will head back to the UK

Byrned ~ I totally get the feeling that you are a visitor, rather than feeling 'at home' ~ I suppose that was one of the things I didnt prepare myself for

WendyRobinson ~ Love the sound of your Xmas trip (brave of you will all your little 'uns~Much respect)

Salma ~ You can never be a failure, you came & tried it...Thats more than some can say

zephyr ~ Totally feel the same as you, sometimes youcant predict how you will actually feel once you are living here

Emmaroo ~ How awesome that you are all going to be living together back 'home' soon ~ Will you all be together for Xmas this year?

Tamjb ~ Wow, your already having thoughts that you may not stay here, may I ask why you already think this way?

RockDr ~ Are you making plans to see Canberra too

Yaksbunt ~ Amazing travels, may I ask if you have children?

CrimsonPetal ~ Isnt it funny how our minds work, I can only imagine how hard it will be telling your Family & Friends that you arent now going back (just yet anyway) (((Hugs for that)))

I know when I have mentioned to my Mum about our possible return in 3 years, she certainly doesnt get her hopes up, just tells me 3 years is a long time & lets wait & see what happens

CrimsonPetal ~ Isnt it funny how our minds work, I can only imagine how hard it will be telling your Family & Friends that you arent now going back (just yet anyway) (((Hugs for that)))

I know when I have mentioned to my Mum about our possible return in 3 years, she certainly doesnt get her hopes up, just tells me 3 years is a long time & lets wait & see what happens

Lol, tell me about it. None of this has been easy as far as my parents, especially my mum, has been concerned. Once again I have got her hopes up only to let her down. I feel awful. Thanks for the hugs (( hugs back))

We have sort of told OH's family, told his mum we are having second thoughts, and the emails have already started arriving as to why we have changed our minds. Ironically, my OH also got a job offer just as we had made our mind up not to return yet. We will be replying to emails tonight and I also have to let my best mate know. She has been so excited. As for my mum though, I don't know how I'm going to tell her.

Really enjoying reading all your experiences & reasons why you feel that one day you will head back to the UK

Emmaroo ~ How awesome that you are all going to be living together back 'home' soon ~ Will you all be together for Xmas this year?

I hope so Kelly!

Nice idea for a thread......I like it here, and my wife probably likes it more than the UK tbh. Not sure about our son, he's too young to give a reliable opinion. He's perfectly happy here, so that'll do me

We came for purely economic reasons - I got headhunted out of the UK at a reasonable premium on what I was on at home and with obvious prospects for rapid progression. We're probably a bit better off here but most of the increase goes on vastly more expensive housing. Good points of living here are numerous (weather, lifestyle, massively less commuting, city life, beach/coast proximity, more sports activities, made some good friends, economic prospects are bright). The negative side is more about feel than tangible things. I've lived and worked abroad a lot before but when I did that I was single or in a previous life with a foreign OH. I've never taken my British family out of Britain before so I fretted massively about doing that - thankfully they are probably more settled than I.

In doing that though, we've learned a few things about us as a family. At home we lived in an idyllic Suffolk village which I loved hugely. I thought my wife did, and so did she at the time, but moving away has made her realise not. And I've realised that I am much more emotionally rooted in the English countryside - it's the thing I miss the most - than I thought I was, and much more than she is. In coming to Sydney she's realised she's a city girl really, or at least suburban. In some respects it was easy for me at home - I got to go into London and get my slice of city buzz every day which she didn't. But it's made us realise that when we go back we'll be living in a very different place and have a different life to the one we left behind.

The city buzz of London is the other thing I miss, on a personal, cultural and business level. I know lots hate the bustle of big cities but I love it, always have. And whilst Sydney is fun, it ain't the half of London in any respect, it's hugely smaller in opportunity and outlook. Right here, right now, there's loads of business opportunity here, but the work's a bit, well, dull at times. Lots of medium sized stuff rather than exciting big things. The numbers all stack up better than they currently do in the UK but it lack a bit of edge, a bit of challenge, a bit of competition, a bit of sexiness if I'm quite honest. It's all very friendly and cosy and easy, but it's a bit "too easy"TM IYSWIM.

There's loads of opportunity to progress my career here, but I reckon there's a limit to it and I am still very ambitious. So can't see me staying forever for that reason, and because at heart I am proudly British and always will be, and will always want to settle at home at some point. So at the moment the current plan is to do 4 years to get the passports and then review it again. At that point I think we will probably put a likely timescale on it but don't know what that timescale will be. Probably less than 8 years in total as by then our son will be 12 and we'll have to make serious decisions about high school/exam systems, and therefore university etc etc etc - and I can't see me wanting to commit to the extra 10 years or so that will entail.

All that's pure speculation based on how I feel right now and could easily change. And it's also a very personal view, I've deliberately used "I" throughout this post even though the decision will be, of course, a family one. We'll see how we feel at the 4 year mark.

At the moment we're really enjoying life in general here and the improved work/life balance in particular. And there's a huge country out there, of which we've seen virtually nothing, so I'm really looking forward to exploring as much as we can - and also going back to NZ, which we both love (for holidays!). I doubt very much if those other places will change our minds about staying though, as my reasons for this probably not being a permanent move are about not being in England, and not being in the London business market and that would still apply wherever in Oz we went.

Good luck - I like your posts, no need to justify how you feel to people as I know sometimes you have felt driven to......and you always seem to have a positive outlook to me

Guest janeubu

hi ya iv been trying to be positive about staying in oz because i love the weather,beaches and it is a lovely place but i just feel empty inside its mad,i miss my daughter so much and she has told me she is not coming back to perth shes 22 and its not for her,also i miss my well paid job and friends and family,my dad is poorly and just be awfull if im not there if he passes away,i dont think i will ever forgive myself,my son is 11 and should be starting secondary school in sept so im just in limbo and so not sure weather to go home :daydreaming:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We agreed quite awhile ago that if we emigrate, we would go for 4 years until we get citizenship and then take it from there and decide whether we stayed in Australia, or returned to the Uk. 4 years out of your life, is such a short time to be somewhere, but the reward of citizenship is such a massive achievement, enabling us and our kids to live in two of the best countries to live in, in the world, is critical in our minds, its just too much of a fantastic opportunity to miss.

Guest janeubu
We agreed quite awhile ago that if we emigrate, we would go for 4 years until we get citizenship and then take it from there and decide whether we stayed in Australia, or returned to the Uk. 4 years out of your life, is such a short time to be somewhere, but the reward of citizenship is such a massive achievement, enabling us and our kids to live in two of the best countries to live in, in the world, is critical in our minds, its just too much of a fantastic opportunity to miss.

hi ya so are u still in the u.k?i had those thoughts too before coming here but it just hasent worked out for lots of reasons since being here ,i know its only 5 mths but cant see myself settling here without my daughter,and if i stay and get citizenship then that may backfire on me later cause my son will have it an leave us in he u.k to live in oz then il regret getting it.my head is all over the place:eek:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
hi ya so are u still in the u.k?i had those thoughts too before coming here but it just hasent worked out for lots of reasons since being here ,i know its only 5 mths but cant see myself settling here without my daughter,and if i stay and get citizenship then that may backfire on me later cause my son will have it an leave us in he u.k to live in oz then il regret getting it.my head is all over the place:eek:

Obviously it doesn't work out for everyone and it doesn't mean anyone has failed for coming back after a short period, but the chance to give my kids the chance of a better life, is a big factor for me, my son wants to join the police force, which theres no chance of that here in the UK with thousands of officers losing their jobs and its not really worth joining now with the pay being reduced by £6,000 and the retirement age going up.

When we moved it was just another move for us, we had already had a few and Australia was a nice interlude and the best opportunity at the time was in Australia - I never thought it would be "forever" and while there was an escape clause it was reasonably easy to put up with it (I never felt like I belonged even though I appeared "settled" perfectly - no homesickness, people sickness etc just a benign sense of emptiness). At the end of the first opportunity we drifted into the next easiest option and bingo! Stuck! Initially we were stuck because of our jobs and career prospects, then because of kids education and the awful financial situation that many Aussies found themselves in. Then when I could see the light at the end of the tunnel - finances OK, career ending, kids gone etc the DH changed the goalposts and the FOREVER became a reality - horrid, horrid, trapped feeling.

Anyway, life is what happens when you are busy making other plans as my son always says so when life threw us a curve ball in the shape of elderly parents no longer really able to manage reliably on their own and me being an only child, I grabbed the excuse/opportunity to move to where I feel like I belong for the forseeable future (hoping the aged ones achieve centenarian status).

I cant for the life of me see the rationale for running around the world collecting citizenships for the kids TBH - how many countries are you going to "country hop" to in order to achieve that? With a European passport most UK kids are well set for a major range of options in their lives. That my kids have Aus/UK is more because they have an Aus parent than anything else - one hasnt bothered to renew his Aus passport but supposes he will have to if he wants to go back for a holiday at some stage (after his last holiday there he isnt that enthused!). To have to commit yourself to 4 years just for that seems a little odd to me - especially because I know how easy it is for someone to come along and move the goalposts on you and all of a sudden you dont have an escape route. Each to their own I suppose and good luck, you have to do what is best for you.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Well Quoll the reason why it's a good idea to get citizenship in Oz, is because it is doing fantastically well at the moment it might not always be like that and we think it's a good idea, another option and opportunity for our kids, others might not agree, we are all different.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Oh dear after reading all these posts...I think it`s bursting my bubble a little bit:eek:

The majority are on about or are coming home:wideeyed:

Less than 10 out of 55,000 PIO members, bubble re-flated, lol

Guest Tamjb

Tamjb ~ Wow, your already having thoughts that you may not stay here, may I ask why you already think this way?

Hi I think I feel this way as we have such a lovely life here. We live 2 mins walk from 3 beaches, we spend a lot of time outdoors, my kids are healthy & happy, both doing well at school BUT I do worry what will be here for my kids when they reach the age for employment & I don't want them scratching around for work. I know things may change in Oz too but right now, it does hold opportunities for them.

My brother moved to Brisbane 4 years ago & I doubt he will ever return to the UK. Therefore, there will always be a connection to Oz & the potential that one or both of my boys may choose to live in Oz, even just for a short time. I've watched my parents grieve for my brother (as I have too) until you finally reach the point where you accept things the way they are. I don't want to have to go through this with my boys, horrendous. I'm not saying I would follow my children wherever they decided to live in the world but at least I may have the choice to live close to them should they choose to live in Oz.

It will be an experience & adventure for all of us & I just think it's 4 or 5 years out of your life which could give you opportunities for the rest of your life. UK & Oz are both great countries.

Guest Ptp113
Please join my thread if you are one of those people/Families that are currently living in Australia, but have the thought that it wont be a long term thing....

I came up with the idea for this thread after receiving many PM's from people that felt the same way as I did & could sympathize with my threads/posts in the 'MBTTUK' section, but didnt necessarily want to post in that section :nah:

So lets enjoy this thread, chat about making the best of the time we live here, what we are getting up to & also how we cope with missing Family & Friends & familiar things whilst here etc etc....:chatterbox:

We only moved here to Western Australia 6 months ago, I will be honest, I thought it was a permanent move at the time, of course I did, why would I move my Family this far without that intention, however now, I am not so sure....We are staying to get our citizenship (at least) which we really feel important, as we have 4 children, one of whom is an Aussie

I am very lucky, my Hubby feels the same way, I know of other families where this isn't the case & I do really feel for them, that must be awful

~ My youngest 2 children are too little to know any different, as long as they are with us, that's all that matters to them, my 9 year old is enjoying his time here & has made a good best friend ~ My eldest (an adult himself) is also enjoying life, has a job, a good group of friends & a girlfriend! :wink:

I think my homesickness was worse, before we made the decision to stay for citizenship, now, we really feel that we can enjoy the next few years, we plan on taking lots of trips & even plan to visit other states, after all, what a fantastic opportunity to visit places that some people can only dream of... :daydreaming:

I hope that all of you that feel the same will enjoy this thread ~ Its a good thing to share our feelings & experiences...After all, unless you feel this way, you cant really understand what its like...:cute:

Why did you move to WA which has the highest percentage of failures?

Archived