Those that are living in Australia now...But not forever....

cartertucker

Guest guest36187

Excuse me for intruding here...I am here in oz for good. We have no intention of returning. What I wanted to say was, it takes a hell of a lot of courage to move here but it takes even more to admit that it ain't for you and you know you aren't staying. Congrats to all posters here for having that courage. I hope you will all be extremely happy wherever you choose to settle x x x

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excuse me for intruding here...I am here in oz for good. We have no intention of returning. What I wanted to say was, it takes a hell of a lot of courage to move here but it takes even more to admit that it ain't for you and you know you aren't staying. Congrats to all posters here for having that courage. I hope you will all be extremely happy wherever you choose to settle x x x

Thanks Joanne :)

I love that you & Hubby are happy here BUT appreciate the support you always give to others that are returning...............since I joined PIO in 2008 that always comes across in your posts

We have been here five months now and through a mixture of circumstances and emotions I believe we will be returning to the UK either just before or just after Christmas. We have our reasons for leaving the UK and WA has been 150% better in all these areas but for me something just hasn't felt right since we arrived. We discovered I was pregnant just two weeks before we left the UK,it didn't give us any time to re-think our plans so we arrived and strived to do our best. For the the first couple of months I was kept busy sorting a house, finances, our container, classes for our three year old, discovering the local sights and amenities,ect. However, as reality kicked in I became very unhappy, I spent days, weeks even just trying to think straight. This is not me, the move affected me in ways I had never imagined, or anticipated!

Anyway, my husband feels differently to me but thankfully he can see our future doesn't belong here. I think maybe he's just enjoying an extended holiday? He has seen how unhappy and miserable I have become and the effect it has also had on our three year old daughter. Before this big move I would have argued with anybody that as long as our daughter has us, she'll be fine and continue to live a happy go lucky life. I was very wrong! Even at the young age of three, taking her out of education has proved very difficult for her. She continues to want to learn but isn't entitled to any educational provision here until next January, even then it'll only be five days per fortnight. She is enrolled in four different classes a week here, and five months in she is still yet to make a friend. Yet, in the UK she was an extremely popular and confident member of her class and in her group at her wrap around care. We could never have anticipated this happening and it is very sad to watch.

With the impending arrival of our second baby we are of course thinking about family we have left behind and how this child won't be able to bond with grandparents if we remain here. Family have been very good, they send parcels nearly every other week for us or our daughter or bump which i think demonstrates the closeness we had and perhaps were naive to give up!

Finally, I have realised I am not prepared to throw away my teaching career, i trained in the UK whilst working full time, so spent many years attending college until late in the evening, most nights of the week were spent at the dining table writing assignments-both my husband and I sacrificed a lot for me to become a teacher, the only job I ever wanted to do and LOVED! As my three year qualification is not recognised here I would need to retrain for 12 months, at a cost of about £10,000-an investment we were willing to make before I fell pregnant. We simply couldn't afford two lots of childcare here in WA on one income.

We came here prepared for it to be difficult, financially challenging and emotional draining, however nothing can truly prepare you for what each family may feel. These are just the experiences of my family, and in fact, my experiences here are VERY different to my husband's experiences here. I'm sure there are posters out there to whom this just will be incomprehendable, but trust me, we have invested in over £30,000 just in the move here. I have tried so hard to keep my daughter educated and occupied but I can't help but feel I need to get 'home' and find my life again.

As we spend longer here we are also realising our quality of life was much superior in the UK, our first gas and electric bill here in WA for two months totalled $1000!!!!! Our weekly shopping is $200 and that's watching everything we put in the trolley and making dinner from scratch- no processed meals, etc! We are also starting to realise that owning our own home here is many years away where at least in the UK on two healthy incomes we could afford a lovely house, holidays, shopping without watching the budget and to eat out each week. For us, the move to WA hasn't outweighed what we had in the UK, but most people with kids will understand that we had to try!!

I sat on the beautiful foreshore last week and shed a tear simply because I want to like here, I want it be successful but I can't control my feelings and therefore I'm positive we will be leaving this beautiful state behind to head back to the concrete jungle of Birmingham where I hope and pray we can once again be the happy family we were just six months ago.

Bit offended really. Nobody applies for visa/citizenship without sacrificing a lot. The financial hoops you have to jump through show enough commitment! Plus who says you have to stay somewhere forever just because you have a piece of paper? Life is much more complex than that. You have the freedom to enter/leave the uk & oz legally, imagine if you were stuck in one or the other? I am content where I am but I would like to see a bit more of oz & show my kids a bit too.

I didn't mean to offend. I was making the point that Citizenship is a commitment to the country so to leave after one has got it seems strange. You don't have to stay somewhere forever so leave Oz without getting citizenship if you don't like it.

Lol, tell me about it. None of this has been easy as far as my parents, especially my mum, has been concerned. Once again I have got her hopes up only to let her down. I feel awful. Thanks for the hugs (( hugs back))

We have sort of told OH's family, told his mum we are having second thoughts, and the emails have already started arriving as to why we have changed our minds. Ironically, my OH also got a job offer just as we had made our mind up not to return yet. We will be replying to emails tonight and I also have to let my best mate know. She has been so excited. As for my mum though, I don't know how I'm going to tell her.

I feel for you, I really do....:hug: Never have I experienced so many emotions

I hope so Kelly!

Me too....:ssign4:

Good luck - I like your posts, no need to justify how you feel to people as I know sometimes you have felt driven to......and you always seem to have a positive outlook to me

Thank you ~ I appreciate that :cute: & thank you for your post, it must be hard when those in your Family feel differently to you

hi ya iv been trying to be positive about staying in oz because i love the weather,beaches and it is a lovely place but i just feel empty inside its mad,i miss my daughter so much and she has told me she is not coming back to perth shes 22 and its not for her,also i miss my well paid job and friends and family,my dad is poorly and just be awfull if im not there if he passes away,i dont think i will ever forgive myself,my son is 11 and should be starting secondary school in sept so im just in limbo and so not sure weather to go home

There is more to life than sunshine & beaches ~ If you are missing your Daughter & worried about your Dad, mayby you should seriously think about going back, spend time with those you love ~ You can get your sunshine & beach fixes when you take Holidays ~ I really wish you well with your decision, its not easy

We agreed quite awhile ago that if we emigrate, we would go for 4 years until we get citizenship and then take it from there and decide whether we stayed in Australia, or returned to the Uk. 4 years out of your life, is such a short time to be somewhere, but the reward of citizenship is such a massive achievement, enabling us and our kids to live in two of the best countries to live in, in the world, is critical in our minds, its just too much of a fantastic opportunity to miss.

Interesting you say 4 years is a short time out of your life ~ Most people I have heard from say its a long time

I cant for the life of me see the rationale for running around the world collecting citizenships for the kids TBH - how many countries are you going to "country hop" to in order to achieve that? With a European passport most UK kids are well set for a major range of options in their lives. That my kids have Aus/UK is more because they have an Aus parent than anything else - one hasnt bothered to renew his Aus passport but supposes he will have to if he wants to go back for a holiday at some stage (after his last holiday there he isnt that enthused!). To have to commit yourself to 4 years just for that seems a little odd to me - especially because I know how easy it is for someone to come along and move the goalposts on you and all of a sudden you dont have an escape route. Each to their own I suppose and good luck, you have to do what is best for you.

Thank you for your honest post Quoll, just to answer your point above....For us as a Family, we started the process in 2008, spent thousands & thousands on getting here & put ourselves & our Families through a heck of alot of emotions.......To then just throw it all away & not leave 'the door open' for us & our children, to us, I think would not be the best move :nah:

Oh dear after reading all these posts...I think it`s bursting my bubble a little bit

The majority are on about or are coming home

I started this thread for those of us that are now living in Australia with our 'bubbles' not as bubbly as perhaps they should be :wink: Lots of people move here & love it....So dont let it pop your bubble, as that was sure not the point of this thread

Tamjb ~ Wow, your already having thoughts that you may not stay here, may I ask why you already think this way?

Hi I think I feel this way as we have such a lovely life here. We live 2 mins walk from 3 beaches, we spend a lot of time outdoors, my kids are healthy & happy, both doing well at school BUT I do worry what will be here for my kids when they reach the age for employment & I don't want them scratching around for work. I know things may change in Oz too but right now, it does hold opportunities for them.

My brother moved to Brisbane 4 years ago & I doubt he will ever return to the UK. Therefore, there will always be a connection to Oz & the potential that one or both of my boys may choose to live in Oz, even just for a short time. I've watched my parents grieve for my brother (as I have too) until you finally reach the point where you accept things the way they are. I don't want to have to go through this with my boys, horrendous. I'm not saying I would follow my children wherever they decided to live in the world but at least I may have the choice to live close to them should they choose to live in Oz.

It will be an experience & adventure for all of us & I just think it's 4 or 5 years out of your life which could give you opportunities for the rest of your life. UK & Oz are both great countries.

I hope it works out for you all, I really do....Its certainly a BIG gamble for those that have a great life back in the Uk ~ Good luck & thanks for posting so honestly :cute:

Why did you move to WA which has the highest percentage of failures?

Well, honestly.....Queensland was where we first applied & researched for....Half way through the visa process, the rules changed (without warning) & we had to get state sponsered, we then had to make a choice from a couple of other states, we thought as WA seemed very Family Friendly (amoung other resaons) it would suit us best :yes:

Well, the entire point of the thread is about people who don't think their move to Aus is permanent

What did you expect? And it hardly makes them negative posts, either

:notworthy:

I am at the very beginning of making our dream a reality and however much I think I'm going to love being in Oz I am making myself stick to the thought that it's not necessarily a 'forever' move for us. When the time comes I want to be careful not to put us under too much pressure, or to have too high an expectation, so by telling myself it's initially just an adventure for a few years I think it wouldn't feel so bad if I did decide I wanted to return again - does that even make sense?!?

On the flip side I am also more than open to the prospect of staying forever, but I'll take each day at a time and will make sure I enjoy any opportunity to explore/experience another part of the world regardless of where we ultimately end up. What makes people happy is a combination of so may different variables there is no way of predicting how you're actually going to feel!

^^ Great way of thinking ~ I think our biggest shock was that we didnt immediately fall in love with living here & feel right at home & feel that this was our 'forever home' :frown: Its hard when something you longed for & planned for doesnt work out the way you had hoped

boring

Why bother reading then? Please dont bore yourself :SLEEP:

Not especially, like I said, I'm more of a scenery girl, so will only see Canberra when circumstances take me there, won't be planning a trip to see it just for the sake of seeing it, long weekends are for getting OUT of the city...

This is true, scenery rocks... :wink:

Got no problem with that at all but there are some folk who seem intent on living in a sort of limbo/purgatory for a few years so they can get a citizenship for their kids. I'm all about taking the opportunities that come your way but to put yourself through hell for a few years for a piece of paper is a little odd IMHO. Their kids are probably going to end up in Turkistan or somewhere else not yet on the map!

Its not hell...Its just not 'home' :cute: But thats not to say that our children wont want to make it their home when they are older ~ Its just about options for them

Bit offended really. Nobody applies for visa/citizenship without sacrificing a lot. The financial hoops you have to jump through show enough commitment! Plus who says you have to stay somewhere forever just because you have a piece of paper? Life is much more complex than that. You have the freedom to enter/leave the uk & oz legally, imagine if you were stuck in one or the other? I am content where I am but I would like to see a bit more of oz & show my kids a bit too.

^^ Couldnt have put it better myself....(no, really I couldnt :goofy:)

Thank you Joanne, your post really means alot (im sure I speak for most of us on this thread) & thank you for taking the time to post on this thread :cute:

I didn't mean to offend. I was making the point that Citizenship is a commitment to the country so to leave after one has got it seems strange. You don't have to stay somewhere forever so leave Oz without getting citizenship if you don't like it.

Do you have one of those 'FIOFO' stickers in your car!? :laugh: In seriousness though....I dont think any of us have said that we dont like it here

I started this thread for those of us that are now living in Australia with our 'bubbles' not as bubbly as perhaps they should be :wink: Lots of people move here & love it....So dont let it pop your bubble, as that was sure not the point of this thread

People can also move to Aus (or anywhere) and love it but not want to stay long term or always plan to return to their home country. My husband being a prime example. He is an Aussie, moved to the UK and loves living here. And will be leaving having had a very happy 7 or 8 years here. There was never a master plan for his move, we never set anything in stone and we won't when we move to Aus as a family.

I don't get why people have to make hard work of living someplace different for a few years if they choose to move there and life is pretty good for them overall. Sure if people are unhappy or really homesick, I can understand that is hard and why people will return asap, but if life is ok, everyone is pretty happy and you are not crying yourself to sleep at night, surely you can just enjoy the time you spend there and know that at some point down the road you'll probably move on.

ETA - I felt like that about Germany when I moved there. Was happy, liked it but knew it wasn't going to be a long term or forever thing. I lived life there, worked, made friends and had a blast exploring parts of the country and other parts of Europe from there. I didn't really dwell on that I knew it wasn't for me long term nor did I plan or think about leaving or a return to the UK. I just went with the flow and one day knew it was time to leave, so made plans for that :)

We haven't arrived in australia yet (flying to perth in July) but reading these posts is preparing me to keep an open mind. We have never even visited australia, let alone lived there so have no idea how we will find it and whether we will want to make it our forever home. Our plan is to make the most of the opportunity we have been given and experience as much as we can. If it is not forever we will return home and be thankful for the experience. We are renting our house out and taking career breaks as security. However after the time, money and emotions we have invested in this move we really do hope to like it and build a life there.

Now I am not naive to think that it will all be as simple as this. In fact it may be a harder decision to return. We have 2 children and will have to take into account the effect on their education and happiness. I worry if one of us wants to go home and the other doesn't, or my son decides he wants to go back when he turns 18 next year. What if he meets someone and wants to stay, while we want to return? Posts on POI have demonstrated how heartbreaking these dilemas can be. On the other hand we can't live our lives on 'what ifs'. Life is short so we have to make the most of it and just do what's best for us at the time.

We have been here five months now and through a mixture of circumstances and emotions I believe we will be returning to the UK either just before or just after Christmas. We have our reasons for leaving the UK and WA has been 150% better in all these areas but for me something just hasn't felt right since we arrived. We discovered I was pregnant just two weeks before we left the UK,it didn't give us any time to re-think our plans so we arrived and strived to do our best. For the the first couple of months I was kept busy sorting a house, finances, our container, classes for our three year old, discovering the local sights and amenities,ect. However, as reality kicked in I became very unhappy, I spent days, weeks even just trying to think straight. This is not me, the move affected me in ways I had never imagined, or anticipated!

Anyway, my husband feels differently to me but thankfully he can see our future doesn't belong here. I think maybe he's just enjoying an extended holiday? He has seen how unhappy and miserable I have become and the effect it has also had on our three year old daughter. Before this big move I would have argued with anybody that as long as our daughter has us, she'll be fine and continue to live a happy go lucky life. I was very wrong! Even at the young age of three, taking her out of education has proved very difficult for her. She continues to want to learn but isn't entitled to any educational provision here until next January, even then it'll only be five days per fortnight. She is enrolled in four different classes a week here, and five months in she is still yet to make a friend. Yet, in the UK she was an extremely popular and confident member of her class and in her group at her wrap around care. We could never have anticipated this happening and it is very sad to watch.

With the impending arrival of our second baby we are of course thinking about family we have left behind and how this child won't be able to bond with grandparents if we remain here. Family have been very good, they send parcels nearly every other week for us or our daughter or bump which i think demonstrates the closeness we had and perhaps were naive to give up!

Finally, I have realised I am not prepared to throw away my teaching career, i trained in the UK whilst working full time, so spent many years attending college until late in the evening, most nights of the week were spent at the dining table writing assignments-both my husband and I sacrificed a lot for me to become a teacher, the only job I ever wanted to do and LOVED! As my three year qualification is not recognised here I would need to retrain for 12 months, at a cost of about £10,000-an investment we were willing to make before I fell pregnant. We simply couldn't afford two lots of childcare here in WA on one income.

We came here prepared for it to be difficult, financially challenging and emotional draining, however nothing can truly prepare you for what each family may feel. These are just the experiences of my family, and in fact, my experiences here are VERY different to my husband's experiences here. I'm sure there are posters out there to whom this just will be incomprehendable, but trust me, we have invested in over £30,000 just in the move here. I have tried so hard to keep my daughter educated and occupied but I can't help but feel I need to get 'home' and find my life again.

As we spend longer here we are also realising our quality of life was much superior in the UK, our first gas and electric bill here in WA for two months totalled $1000!!!!! Our weekly shopping is $200 and that's watching everything we put in the trolley and making dinner from scratch- no processed meals, etc! We are also starting to realise that owning our own home here is many years away where at least in the UK on two healthy incomes we could afford a lovely house, holidays, shopping without watching the budget and to eat out each week. For us, the move to WA hasn't outweighed what we had in the UK, but most people with kids will understand that we had to try!!

I sat on the beautiful foreshore last week and shed a tear simply because I want to like here, I want it be successful but I can't control my feelings and therefore I'm positive we will be leaving this beautiful state behind to head back to the concrete jungle of Birmingham where I hope and pray we can once again be the happy family we were just six months ago.

Its very heart breaking to see your kids unhappy. I know exactly what you mean about once ongoing children being turned introverted. My two youngest 11 and 15 were hardly ever out of the house with friends in the 8 months we were there. Back only 3 days and every day they are out with their friends. Saturday afternoon, ones in town shopping with her friends and the other out playing. This is how my kids should be, not stuck inside watching the kardashians and the like !

Guest The Ropey HOFF

In reply to the 4 years comment, the average lifespan these days is about 80 years, so 4 years out of 80, is a twentieth of your life and to me giving up such a short period in your life to give your family a chance to hold citizenship in Australia, is short to me. Obviously if you are unhappy it will seem a long time.

In reply to the 4 years comment, the average lifespan these days is about 80 years, so 4 years out of 80, is a twentieth of your life and to me giving up such a short period in your life to give your family a chance to hold citizenship in Australia, is short to me. Obviously if you are unhappy it will seem a long time.

Just out of interest Hoff when does your visa expire, and when do you think you will be here, if the exchange rate does not improve or house prices will you still come.

Guest guest36187

We all have differing experiences of how life is here in Oz. We should respect those experiences as individual experiences!

Guest Tamjb
How is everyone? ~ Hope you have enjoyed your weekend :cool:

Had a fab weekend thanks, hope you did? My 10 year old son won silver medal in the duathlon in Newquay, we saw the Olympic torch/flame which was cool. Today is my birthday (Sunday) & my mum & dad arranged for us all to stay over at Perranporth, even though only 10 mins drive from home, it's beautiful. Been lovely, this time next week we'll be in Perth though eeekkk I can't wait to see my brother, I hate flying but it's worth it just for that x

Had a fab weekend thanks, hope you did? My 10 year old son won silver medal in the duathlon in Newquay, we saw the Olympic torch/flame which was cool. Today is my birthday (Sunday) & my mum & dad arranged for us all to stay over at Perranporth, even though only 10 mins drive from home, it's beautiful. Been lovely, this time next week we'll be in Perth though eeekkk I can't wait to see my brother, I hate flying but it's worth it just for that x

Congrats to your Son, thats awesome :yes:

Happy Birthday for yesterday :wubclub:& Good luck for your flight & settling in next week

We took the little un's to Swan Valley cuddly animal farm ~ It was Ok :cute:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yorkshirepud

Hi, great thread. I can really connect with the comments on here. Especially the "making it forever strain". Once we decided WA wasnt working for us and we intended to change our plans, a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. Now I want to enjoy the rest of our time here and not worry about they why's!

Guest Ptp113
Hi, great thread. I can really connect with the comments on here. Especially the "making it forever strain". Once we decided WA wasnt working for us and we intended to change our plans, a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. Now I want to enjoy the rest of our time here and not worry about they why's!

WA doesn't work for many. It's just to isolated for a start.

I agree with this wholeheartedly! It's really lovely to see people having respect for the diversity of others' feelings and offering words of support :wubclub:

I've been fighting with my 'head & heart' this weekend ~ :realmad:

Really feel for you! Having read many of your posts over time, I can see how things have been very difficult for you here. We are in a different situation as we are very happy here and have all felt very settled since day 1, but nonetheless have faced other difficult challenges that have cropped up along the way. The emigration process is a massive one - full of so many different challenges. Nothing can prepare you for it and no-one can possibly know how the process will affect them until they are here and in the midst of things. There's far too much in the way of unnecessary 'slagging off' that goes on regarding the Oz v UK argument and it's refreshing to see someone willing to discuss their difficulties without turning it into a vendetta against one country or the other. It's lovely that you've started this thread as a means of support for those who are experiencing difficulties and it's great that everyone can support each other. I wish you all the best and really hope things get easier for you soon :wubclub:

Guest Ptp113
Thank you so much Daffod1lly ~ I really appreciate your kind words :cute:

WA is nothing like the rest of Oz. There are places in Australia very similar to the U.K that would be a far better match for those that struggle. You guys should seriously look at a move if possible?

WA is nothing like the rest of Oz. There are places in Australia very similar to the U.K that would be a far better match for those that struggle. You guys should seriously look at a move if possible?

Thank you :cute:~ Would comment further, but fed up with the negative comments on here lately!

Agreed, but you also need to give it some time, we were applying for a visa same time as you but have been here 2 years, 1st in NSW 2nd in QLD, only now starting to feel even a little settled, it takes time.

Guest Ptp113
Agreed, but you also need to give it some time, we were applying for a visa same time as you but have been here 2 years, 1st in NSW 2nd in QLD, only now starting to feel even a little settled, it takes time.

Took me 6 years odd and 3 moves to different states until I felt OK, then another move interstate after another 3 years before 'getting it'.

Archived