Cost Comaprison

Guest Stereotongue

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I'm Sydney bound, and after reading this, think I may have messed up with the salary I agreed with my employer.

You are going to think I'm stupid, but I took my current UK salary (£20k higher than the UK average) and converted it to $ - which only just takes me a bit above the AUS average salary (certainly not $32k higher than the AUS average!). To redeem myself a little, I did check the AUS salary ranges for my job - I'm not totally stupid ;)

I can't go back and ask for more now - luckily I'm old enough to have got over the material things and status! It's daft of me to ask anyone if I'll be skint, as it depends on my lifestyle when I'm out there, I'm just worried that I undersold myself :(

Think I'm going to have to give that IKEA mirror a miss.

I can't follow what you are getting? The average wage in Australia is about $65k and the average wage in the UK is about £26k, the last time I checked I think it was that, obviously a lot live on less than that. Best of luck.

We lived in Sydney and yes compared to some places it is expensive, but if you live to your means, you will be OK.

I have stopped doing the price comparisons. I did a shop online with Woolies and Coles and it came out about the same as here, except peppers, but we are going down that road again :confused:

Whichever country you live in, you will adjust and live and spend accordingly. We earn less in Spain, but the cost of living is lower so it balances out. You earn more in the UK, but the cost of living is higher and the same in Oz. Difference in Oz, the weather is better and the beaches and parks are free which means a lot of outdoor activities are cheaper.

You also have to bear in mind what people's standards are and what they expect from life. We are normal working class and cut our cloth accordingly. Someone might be earning mega bucks but are useless with their money. You could have someone who earns a lot less but is brilliant with their money and seems to have a better standard of living. I have been shopping with mates who bung everything in the trolley and then moan at the check out at the price of everything. I go to the supermarket, market, butchers with a list and get what I want. I often walk out of the supermarket with 50 items even though I only wanted 10, but this is because if I see a special offer I take them up on their offer.:biggrin:

If you do your research before you leave and you want that mirror in Ikea (I hope this mirror is worth all this!!) then buy it in the UK and get it shipped over with your other stuff. I have a list as long my arm of bits and pieces that PIO'ers have warned are difficult to get or can be expensive and not as good quality.

We lived in Sydney and yes compared to some places it is expensive, but if you live to your means, you will be OK.

I have stopped doing the price comparisons. I did a shop online with Woolies and Coles and it came out about the same as here, except peppers, but we are going down that road again :confused:

Whichever country you live in, you will adjust and live and spend accordingly. We earn less in Spain, but the cost of living is lower so it balances out. You earn more in the UK, but the cost of living is higher and the same in Oz. Difference in Oz, the weather is better and the beaches and parks are free which means a lot of outdoor activities are cheaper.

You also have to bear in mind what people's standards are and what they expect from life. We are normal working class and cut our cloth accordingly. Someone might be earning mega bucks but are useless with their money. You could have someone who earns a lot less but is brilliant with their money and seems to have a better standard of living. I have been shopping with mates who bung everything in the trolley and then moan at the check out at the price of everything. I go to the supermarket, market, butchers with a list and get what I want. I often walk out of the supermarket with 50 items even though I only wanted 10, but this is because if I see a special offer I take them up on their offer.:biggrin:

If you do your research before you leave and you want that mirror in Ikea (I hope this mirror is worth all this!!) then buy it in the UK and get it shipped over with your other stuff. I have a list as long my arm of bits and pieces that PIO'ers have warned are difficult to get or can be expensive and not as good quality.

You're my kind of girl. Just about to go into M&s as their sale is on. Time to stock up on underwear.:wub:

Guest Levimouse
Fantastic post - One of the most useful I have seen on here. A PROPER comparison.

Thanks for that

I don't think this constitutes a PROPER comparison either. The poster is comparing Birmingham to Melbourne. I know they have taken salaries into consideration and worked with %'s.

But still!

Birmingham vs Melbourne.

I know I'd feel better off with only 9.9% of income for non-essentials in Melbourne than if I had 21.9% of income for non-essentials in Birmingham.

Despite this I don't actually mean any offence to anyone from birmingham.

As many have said already there is no point comparing prices using exchange rates unless you are on holiday and spending 'exchanged' sterling.

Also, ok so things may actually cost more as a % of earnings or as a multiple of hours worked or whatever kind of mathematical/financial comparison you use but surely being better or worse off is totally subjective to every individual. You can't put money on more family time, or more sun, or a shorter commute or living near a beach/mountains/outback/whatever.

Anyhoo just my two pennies (4 cents if using last years exchange rate or 3 cents if using todays exchange rate or 8 cents if using the exchange rate we wish we could get).

Edited by Levimouse

It really does pay to shop around. For example, last week I went into Harvey Norman for a general browse and saw a product called a Mctivia which allows you to view your PC or Mac on your TV. Cost in Harvey Norman, $299. I needed a HDMI cable to link the thing to my TV . Cost in Harvey Norman, $69.95. Later that night I purchased these 2 products online for $140 and $3.74 respectively.

If you think Ikea or a particular product is too expensive, then simply don't shop there or buy the product. If Ikea do manufacture all their products in the same factory (I don't know if they do or not ) then presumably it's in Sweden and the shipping of these products would be a significant overhead for their Australian operations.

Guest Guest66881

I was talking to our local pharmacist the other day, and i asked him why things within the shop are a lot more than the UK, things like lemsip in the UK they was around £3.00, in today conversion that is $4.51.

The shop price was $7.88, that's £5.23 - he said it is due to the fact that most items are shipped or railed across from the east coast so shipping costs are doubled as most items come from Europe or America, so it would probably apply to most things here in WA.

I was talking to our local pharmacist the other day, and i asked him why things within the shop are a lot more than the UK, things like lemsip in the UK they was around £3.00, in today conversion that is $4.51.

The shop price was $7.88, that's £5.23 - he said it is due to the fact that most items are shipped or railed across from the east coast so shipping costs are doubled as most items come from Europe or America, so it would probably apply to most things here in WA.

Hubby know it must be serious when I break out the Lemsips! Too expensive for a sniffle!

It really does pay to shop around. For example, last week I went into Harvey Norman for a general browse and saw a product called a Mctivia which allows you to view your PC or Mac on your TV. Cost in Harvey Norman, $299. I needed a HDMI cable to link the thing to my TV . Cost in Harvey Norman, $69.95. Later that night I purchased these 2 products online for $140 and $3.74 respectively.

If you think Ikea or a particular product is too expensive, then simply don't shop there or buy the product. If Ikea do manufacture all their products in the same factory (I don't know if they do or not ) then presumably it's in Sweden and the shipping of these products would be a significant overhead for their Australian operations.

Most of IKEA's stuff is made in the Far East or Eastern Europe

Most of IKEA's stuff is made in the Far East or Eastern Europe

Hi there,

Thanks for the clarification.

Continuing with the cost comparisons, our grocery shopping bill each week, for a family of 5 averaged out at about 100 pounds a week in the UK and represented about 20% of my net income. Here in Brisbane our weekly bill averages out at $200 and again this represents around 20% of my net income although I will add that we are better off as my wife earns considerably more here than in the UK.

Also, we shipped most of our stuff over but still had to by some furniture. We used Super A-mart which has reasonably priced furniture.

http://www.superamart.com.au/

Another recommendation is http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/ where we purchased our fridge, freezer and washing machine.

What's on that list candygirl? So far, I have heard that clothes are more expensive. Anything else?

Here goes, it is not exhaustive and I am sure I will add to it as and when. My list may seem daft to some, but my plan is to take certain essentials until I can get to grips with the prices out there and have had time to shop around and yes I prob do squeak when I walk:biggrin:

H&S, toothpaste, toiletries, flu & head tabs, bandages

Ikea Malm chest of drawers

Ikea Office Furniture

Sheets, pillows and duvets

Dog Beds

Printer Cartridges

Mach 3 Razors

Underwear

Towels

Shoes

Cosmetics

Work Shirts

Mattress

This post is really intersting and I can see just comparing with the exchange rate doesn't work. I remember when we were in Sydney start of the year because we were only on holiday we saw everything as expensive but when you see how much I would earn in dollars compared to my pound salary it seems more affordable. I really like the table produced with the percentage of their wage spent on various elements. I found that very useful!

• 3 months later...
Guest Sketchesx

I have been in Australia for 12 months now, as a traveller when I first got into darwin and bought a loaf of bread at $5 (from a convience store as a last minute thing) I was stunned at the prices, compared to the £1.30 / $1.95 price you'd pay at home, everything was much more expensive than I imagined - thats because I was using my English money to pay for everything, therefore the comparison was needed.

Now I've been here a while and I'm working, earning $48750 / £32500 instead of earning £18000-20000 that I would be back home for the same job, it makes more sense that everything is more expensive...plus moving away from Darwin helped the situation! How I look at it now if you must compare things is how better off you are.

i.e Average UK wage is £6-7 ph for most jobs, for example a cinema ticket costs approx £12-15 in the UK now, so you are working 2 hours (there abouts) to earn the money for your cinema ticket.

in australia the minimum wage is approx $18, with most jobs being paid $20-25ph. Cinema tickets cost approx $25 - so your working 1 hour to earn the money for your ticket.

So although its more expensive, your much better off and tend to have more money left over at the end of the month - whether you convert it back or not.

So if your earning over here, forget about the conversion - there is no point in worrying about it. If your not working and are using your savings from home (UK) then....goodluck with that!!

Guest paulwbafc

Because the uk currency is so weak at the moment due to the state of the uk economy then the high value of the Australian dollar makes things expensive in oz when converting on an exchange rate. It just highlights how dire the uk economy Is that sterling is weak and worth less than the Aussie dollar. If the uk economy recovers or the Australian economy has a recession like the uk has had then we will see more parity. When the uk economy was healthy it was £1 equals $3. You earn double uk wages in oz so although prices higher in oz you have more money to pay for it. In oz 12% of my take home pay is on shopping and petrol. In uk it was around 25% of take home pay on shopping.

• 1 month later...