Change of plan - we're off to perth. HELP!!!!!

tasormelb

Hi, I would be grateful for advice from people who have made the move to Perth or visited.

We have PR and have been to Melbourne twice and were intending to move there in July, however I've found it very difficult trying to secure a job (I'm a nurse) the only people who seem to be hiring are private hospitals and this is not my ideal.

However I have been offered a fab job in Perth with an excellent package from a large charitable health care provider. The employers seem to want to help us make this move as smooth as possible and help us settle in. They asked me if I want to live NOR or SOR as they have several bases around Perth (I will be working in the community). I have previously looked at Baldivis so said SOR, do you thinks this is a good choice?

We have 2 teens 13 and 16yrs. We live in a small village which doesn't even have a shop but want to live in an area will more, perhaps a few shops, on a bus route and with a train station, within 30- 40 Mins of CBD and 20-30mins of a beach. Daughter is mad about horses so riding is very important and will need a decent high school. 16yr old wants to be a science teacher so will return to High school so hopefully he will be able to go to Uni. My base will be Jandakot, oh will be looking for unskilled work such as warehouse, forklift driving. What areas do you suggest I look at?

I have a hundred questions as have spent years researching Melbourne but now have 3 months to research Perth. Ahhhhhhh! :arghh:

Thanks

Baldivis is for what you describe a good choice. It is a new suburb, but close to Jandakot and about 30 mins on the train from the CBD. For horse riding, there is Pinjara which is a short drive south and a very horse area.

Can't comment on schools other than there is a new school about to open that looks like it will be very nice. We don't have children so difficult to help with things that relate to them. But I can say I have seen several posts recently from pome living there who say they love it.

Baldives to Perth is about 40 mins (non rush hour traffic), I don't know what the schools are like down there. Join our sister site Perth Poms as there are quite a few of our members who are down there. I live near Jandakot, and am much closer to the city. Perth is much quieter than Melbourne (i'm led to believe)

Baldivis is lovely and is a mass of new homes being built there, we opted for rockingham just for the fact we can walk to the beach and enjoy the cafes etc along with the shopping centre there, has everything on the doorstep.

We opted for the kwinana beach end of Rocko as its alot quieter than the main front.

Good luck in your move

Gary & Sue

Guest jcowley

I also live in Rockingham, and love the beach, restaurants, cinema, shopping etc. Baldivis will get there but as it is fairly new almost everyone I know drive to Rockingham and back a number of times at day, for shops, bowling, movies etc. But as you live in a small village you are probably used to this so Baldivis could be a great choice for you.

Thanks for all the advice. I will certainly look at Rockingham as an option. Are there any areas I should avoid there? I have done some research today and there appears to be some beautiful areas.

The job I have been offered is fantastic. It's with Silver chain, the ladies that interviewed me were lovely, and I am really looking forward to working with them. I am a palliative care nurse in the UK and feel so lucky to have the chance to continue this in Perth.

I have been reading about the trouble people are having getting a rental and am not looking forward to this. I know it will help that I have a job but we are bringing our little dog so this may make it harder.

Do you think a short term rental of 4 weeks will be long enough for us to get sorted, and have you got any suggestions of where to stay?

Thanks

just to add ,if you go with Baldivis then Byford is not too far away that is full of horse owners and has its own trotting complex........there are big developments in Byford at the moment,lots of land being bought up and an extension to Tonkin hwy ...oh and a new pub.!!!!!

Guest jcowley

Hi there,

Your job sounds great hope it works out well for you. My friend just went back to uk after 3 months as she couldn't find a job as a nurse (well not one she wanted anyway).

There probably are places to avoid but you will need to look around when you get here and do your homework as I may say avoid somewhere and then someone will say they live there and its wondeful. Rentals in the Rockingham area are very hard to find I understand there can be as many as 30 viewers for one property but they are about just takes time. So short term rental would be the best bet 4 weeks may be enough but I would possibly do longer so that you dont need to stress too much in finding a rental you want. Stayz.com and Ozhouserentals are great sites for this.

hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tommy joyce

Hi

just read this thread as I have also Been offered a job with silver chain to start in December / jan, me and my partner, and 3 children (16, 8, 1) should be arriving in oct / nov time we are all very excited but just like you have many questions. I have been offered a community nurse package. What about you? I would be nice to talk to someone who is going through the same situation as me. Thanks , shelley

Archived