Medicare - UK resident, but not citizen

sarah2603

Hi guys

I've been a UK resident for over two years, but I'm a German citizen. I'm still registered in Germany (just for bank purposes, really), but obviously I'm also 'registered' here in the UK.

Now, am I entitled to Medicare, or are only UK citizens eligible?

If I am entitled, is it true that Medicare only covers for emergencies? Because I read on their homepage that you can go and see a GP as well, however, many people posted in various forums that Medicare health insurance is generally not sufficient (sufficient for the visa, yes, but not for your health lol - going on a 457, secondary applicant, btw).

In addition, it says on Medicare's homepage that you will have to pay the difference between what the GP charges and what Medicare would pay for. Anybody any idea what kinda amount one would be looking at here? Because I'm thinking it might make more sense to just pay this difference twice a year (I'm rarely sick lol), than taking out additional private insurance...then again, you'd have to pay for the dentist as well, don't you. So maybe additional private one after all??

Thanks a lot!

Sarah

I believe you require british citizenship. There are some other countries that are eligible but I am not sure which.

Insurance doesn't cover gp visits. You pay at the time of the visit. If you do get Medicare then you hand over your card to the receptionist and your bank / credit card. They normally charge about $70 a visit and Medicare covers about half of it.

Insurance covers hospital treatment, dental and ambulances.

I have top of the range heal insurance with Bupa and don't get anything for doctors visits. But excellent for lots of other things for example the wife is tomorrow having root canal dental work that would cost about $800 but will only cost me $80. She also has physio every week and it covers this.

Also, prescriptions are not covered by Medicare or insurance

Insurance doesn't cover gp visits. You pay at the time of the visit.

hae? you mean the basic one?

I have top of the range heal insurance with Bupa and don't get anything for doctors visits.
<-- then again, you probably don't lol

cause I checked out the one above basic (with several providers, but not bupa), and it works like you described it for Medicare: the insurance will pay as much as Medicare would pay, and you pay the rest. well, 35 dollars is not too bad, I suppose...

so to sum up, Medicare covers half your GP bills, no dental bills, all your emergency and hospital bills, no prescriptions. right?

Hi guys

I've been a UK resident for over two years, but I'm a German citizen. I'm still registered in Germany (just for bank purposes, really), but obviously I'm also 'registered' here in the UK.

Now, am I entitled to Medicare, or are only UK citizens eligible?

If I am entitled, is it true that Medicare only covers for emergencies? Because I read on their homepage that you can go and see a GP as well, however, many people posted in various forums that Medicare health insurance is generally not sufficient (sufficient for the visa, yes, but not for your health lol - going on a 457, secondary applicant, btw).

In addition, it says on Medicare's homepage that you will have to pay the difference between what the GP charges and what Medicare would pay for. Anybody any idea what kinda amount one would be looking at here? Because I'm thinking it might make more sense to just pay this difference twice a year (I'm rarely sick lol), than taking out additional private insurance...then again, you'd have to pay for the dentist as well, don't you. So maybe additional private one after all??

Thanks a lot!

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

You are in luck. The agreement is based on residency not citizenship to the point that British passport holders who do not reside in the UK are not eligible though they often encounter medicare staff in Australia who ignore/don't know this rule. Bring a copy of the website rules with you because some have to demonstrate the rules to new staff. Bring proof of NHS registration. http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp

No, it is not just for emergencies. It is a judgement based on the length of your stay. Officially you are entitled to treatment for:

"any ill-health or injury which occurs while you are in Australia and requires treatment before you return home."

Even small things can require treatment if you are not going home for a while. Most I have heard on forums have no issue unless going for elective surgery and not here for years.

You can get "extras" cover (dental etc) without taking out private hospital insurance.

Some GP's charge no gap, some charge $10 gap, some charge $35 gap. It often depends on the socio-economics of the area you live in. A lot treat children and pensioners free and charge a gap for working adults.

Most drugs are heavily subsidised by medicare under the PBS. A cap of $34.20 is put on PBS drugs. This does not mean they all cost that amount as some are cheaper, specially when you ask for the generic brand, which is the same as the brand name drug but cheaper.

You need to be a UK resident - you will need to provide your NHS card to show you are registered in UK - maybe proof of address from UK, and get one of the Eurpean Health Insurance Cards (they are free and have UK logo) https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do

"Receive a Reciprocal Medicare Card for the duration of their stay in Australia, from a Medicare office. Eligibility is determined by Medicare - they must have come directly from their home country to Australia i.e. have been paying tax recently in their home country."

Thanks a lot, guys! I've got the EHIC and the NHS card, and plenty of letters to my address here. Do you think it could be an issue though that in addition I'm still registered in Germany...?

"they must have come directly from their home country to Australia i.e. have been paying tax recently in their home country."

Home country being country of residency? Well, as a student I've not paid any taxes...

Speaking of country of residency, when you fill out the application form, they're asking for you address of residency, and then for the address of living. Do you recommend I put down the English one for both, or should I put the German one for the address of residency?

I mean, yes, I'm residing in England, but again, I'm also registered in Germany... :/

Thanks a lot, guys! I've got the EHIC and the NHS card, and plenty of letters to my address here. Do you think it could be an issue though that in addition I'm still registered in Germany...?

"they must have come directly from their home country to Australia i.e. have been paying tax recently in their home country."

Home country being country of residency? Well, as a student I've not paid any taxes...

Speaking of country of residency, when you fill out the application form, they're asking for you address of residency, and then for the address of living. Do you recommend I put down the English one for both, or should I put the German one for the address of residency?

I mean, yes, I'm residing in England, but again, I'm also registered in Germany... :/

Can't see that being a problem. You only need to prove you are resident in the UK. They'll have no way of knowing whether or not you are registered in Germany.

I know, that's what I thought, but then I figured I might tell them and ask whether it's ok, cause I'm so bloody paranoid that I'm scared if I don't tell them and for whatever reason they do find out one day, they refuse to pay my medical bills :D got all these nightmare scenarios in my head lol

I know, that's what I thought, but then I figured I might tell them and ask whether it's ok, cause I'm so bloody paranoid that I'm scared if I don't tell them and for whatever reason they do find out one day, they refuse to pay my medical bills :D got all these nightmare scenarios in my head lol

Once you arrive in Australia, you need to go to a medicare office and apply for a visa - then you will know if you are eligible or not. Take as much information as you have to say that you are a UK resident. National Insurance Card, UK drivers licence if you have one, proof of address, NHS card, EHIC (free to get).

Once you get a card it will expire when your visa expires.

• 4 weeks later...

So just checking; if our Family who hold Irish passports (I was born abroad to Irish parents so not a UK citizen) (Hubbie and 2 kids born in N Ireland-UK citizens) and have lived all or almost all our lives in the UK. We have NHS medical cards, pay taxes, National insurance and have full residency rights here under the law, would we be eligible under the reciprocal agreement for medicare and not the Republic of Ireland?

So just checking; if our Family who hold Irish passports (I was born abroad to Irish parents so not a UK citizen) (Hubbie and 2 kids born in N Ireland-UK citizens) and have lived all or almost all our lives in the UK. We have NHS medical cards, pay taxes, National insurance and have full residency rights here under the law, would we be eligible under the reciprocal agreement for medicare and not the Republic of Ireland?

It is based on residency not nationality. The problem might be that you get a staff member who asks for your passports as proof and then just assumes you fall under the irish republic reciprocal agreement which is not as good as the UK agreement. Just print out the rules and bring all your NHS, proof of address etc and be prepared to push your point if necessary.

Here is the link: http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp

Note the reciprocal agreement is only relevant on temp visas like 457.

It is based on residency not nationality. The problem might be that you get a staff member who asks for your passports as proof and then just assumes and gives you the irish republic reciprocal agreement which is not as good as the UK agreement. Just print out the rules and bring all your NHS, proof of address etc and be prepared to push your point if necessary.

Here is the link: http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp

Note the reciprocal agreement is only relevant on temp visas like 457.

Thank you! :biggrin: I will make sure we have our NHS medical cards and some utility bills etc with us if and when we get there.

Archived