Cost of school uniforms

giggle

OK, I know I have had my rant a couple of years ago, but I don't accept that the school uniform value proposition is acceptable.

At our boy's school, the costs for compulsory uniform are:

short sleeved shirts 5@$26 - $130

long sleeved shirts 5@$27 - $135

short trousers - $45

long trousers - $70

white socks 5@8 - $40

black socks 5@6 - $30

bag - $40

jumper - $85

jacket $90

That's a cool $675. For a state school. All branded, all compulsory, all punishable if you wear generic versions.

http://www.sthelena.vic.edu.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=zPLke33DL_U%3D&tabid=119

Some of this may be going to benefit the school, but they have no right to force parents to pay at these rates. They should set uniforms where you can buy generic equivalents without branding at K Mart or Big W if you wish - or pay full whack if you want to buy through the school.

Why are you buying 5? Do you not have a washing machine?

Are you serious?

You think we're going to have a laundry load every night? I promise you the cost of that would far outweigh the cost of a week's supply of shirts and socks. Even if we felt like doing laundry every night after work - which we don't.

I was wondering that as well, most parent manage on 3 uniforms. Sorry but the prices look quite reasonable when you compare them to branded shirts etc that kids like to wear on weekends, even branded skate shoes are very expencive these days, and school uniforms can often be bought second hand. It also stops the - oh but jonny has a Mambo shirt to wear to school why cant i have one.

I was wondering that as well, most parent manage on 3 uniforms. Sorry but the prices look quite reasonable when you compare them to branded shirts etc that kids like to wear on weekends, even branded skate shoes are very expencive these days, and school uniforms can often be bought second hand. It also stops the - oh but jonny has a Mambo shirt to wear to school why cant i have one.

It doesn't stop the Johnny has a Mambo short because everyone has t pay the equivalent of the Mambo shirt, but for something that the kids won't wear out of school. There is no second hand uniform shop at our school. Not that our unforms would ever be in a fit state to re-sell. I don't know how parents manage with only three changes of uniform; maybe their kids don't sweat.

Are you serious?

You think we're going to have a laundry load every night? I promise you the cost of that would far outweigh the cost of a week's supply of shirts and socks. Even if we felt like doing laundry every night after work - which we don't.

Yes I am serious! Do the maths 3 shirts maximum you don't wash everyday just twice a week.

It doesn't stop the Johnny has a Mambo short because everyone has t pay the equivalent of the Mambo shirt, but for something that the kids won't wear out of school. There is no second hand uniform shop at our school. Not that our unforms would ever be in a fit state to re-sell. I don't know how parents manage with only three changes of uniform; maybe their kids don't sweat.

But everyone pays the equivalent for school uniforms, and they would wear them for a full day just like a mambo shirt. Few parents can afford 5 sets of uniforms, so one uniform on, one in the wash and one ready to wear. Not hard to through uniforms in the washer while you get dinner and then put them on the line to dry mid week.

But everyone pays the equivalent for school uniforms, and they would wear them for a full day just like a mambo shirt. Few parents can afford 5 sets of uniforms, so one uniform on, one in the wash and one ready to wear. Not hard to through uniforms in the washer while you get dinner and then put them on the line to dry mid week.

.......or buy them through out the year....!

......children grow so rapidly....

......3 to start........then begin replacing with the next size as you can afford it,..

......I found by doing this there was not such a big outlay at the beginning of each year......

.......or buy them through out the year....!

......children grow so rapidly....

......3 to start........then begin replacing with the next size as you can afford it,..

......I found by doing this there was not such a big outlay at the beginning of each year......

Our daughter is a single mum she has already started buying for next year working on one size larger than fit now. she has 2 formal uniforms and 1 sport and manages fine, washing mid week and drying over night in the garage (warm in there)

I think the laundry issue (and if both parents work full time then mid week laundry is really impractical as well as wasteful and environmentally damaging) is obscuring the fact that the original complaint is that the school charges too much for its uniform. I suspect the reason it does this is to price out the poorer kids who will go to nearby schools that have cheap uniforms or no uniforms. I believe parents should have a choice - to get cheap uniforms if they want or need - and pay super-premium prices from the school shop if they feel socially obliged to do so.

I think the laundry issue (and if both parents work full time then mid week laundry is really impractical as well as wasteful and environmentally damaging) is obscuring the fact that the original complaint is that the school charges too much for its uniform. I suspect the reason it does this is to price out the poorer kids who will go to nearby schools that have cheap uniforms or no uniforms. I believe parents should have a choice - to get cheap uniforms if they want or need - and pay super-premium prices from the school shop if they feel socially obliged to do so.

I worked in the school uniform industry for 20 years and i can assure you those prices are very reasonable. I am not being rude, but if the uniform is such an issue then maybe you should look at a school that allows you to shop at Kmart and has a very relaxed uniform

I worked in the school uniform industry for 20 years and i can assure you those prices are very reasonable. I am not being rude, but if the uniform is such an issue then maybe you should look at a school that allows you to shop at Kmart and has a very relaxed uniform

The prices may seem reasonable given that the products are all individually embroidered. My question is whether we need uniforms that are individually embroidered. We didn't seem to need that in England.

As for the suggestion about changing schools to a less academically successful one to avoid high uniform costs - that's a disgusting suggestion and you should be ashamed of yourself. All families should be able to access all state schools - and not be priced out of the good ones. I suggest you have a look at your own attitudes before telling me how I should live my life.

My son's uniform was just under 1000 dollars all up at the start of last year and we have made it last.

The most expensive item was the blazer at 230 dollars.

I only bought the one pair of formal trousers and two formal shirts. Everything is embroidered. The washer goes on once mid week.

If they forget an item they must hire it from reception and the parents are billed for it. That hasn't happened yet in two years thankfully.

The uniform is still in good nick as he has really looked after it so we are planning to sell the sports jacket and blazer when he finishes year 12 in a few weeks time.

Millie x

any child that genuinly couldn't afford it in my sons old state school were provided one from the P&C funds.

But in a state school, it shouldn't be down to whether or not you can afford it. It should be down to personal choice. Free education is supposed to be a right available to all. Enforcing a uniform that is over-elaborate is undermining that principle of free education.

And incidentally, if people think schools should get more (and I do) then vote for a party that will increase taxation to support it. If they did that, I would probably be financially worse off, but I would not be unhappy because it would be fairer.

The prices may seem reasonable given that the products are all individually embroidered. My question is whether we need uniforms that are individually embroidered. We didn't seem to need that in England.

As for the suggestion about changing schools to a less academically successful one to avoid high uniform costs - that's a disgusting suggestion and you should be ashamed of yourself. All families should be able to access all state schools - and not be priced out of the good ones. I suggest you have a look at your own attitudes before telling me how I should live my life.

As I said I meant no offence, but unfortunately parents make the decision to send a child to a specific school based on many factors, the education standard of a school, proximity to there home, available transport, and they are aware of the uniform requirement before enrolling a student. I really do understand what you are saying and I agree it is a bit different in state school where the uniform is more relaxed, as opposed to Private where it is a case of wear it or leave the school. If you like the school but are against the expense of uniforms then you are in a very difficult position.

As for embroidery, for many principles it is a way for the public to identify a student outside of school hours be that good behaviour or poor behaviour, and yes I admit a way of getting parents to buy from the uniform shop because these days parents have limited time to help with fete's tuck shop and the like, so the shop makes a little money for the school to make up for loss of volunteer parents.

Blimey.

Our first school here had uniform with the school logo but allowed generic Target type tops so long as in the school colours of either a bright blue or yellow. Target, KMart and other stores all sold the yellow one. And shorts were just the standard grey. So could buy those from the same shops or buy Stubbies or other more pricey makes. The school jumper had to have the logo. They also sold a school jacket but kids could wear any coat if they wished. Same for school bag. So long as it was a bag, didn't have to be the school one. School hat was a specific colour but they didn't fuss if kids went in in a grey one or a navy one.

New school has a smarter logo uniform which new is pricey per top, $26 or so. However shorts and socks are navy blue so any shop sells those. Same with the hats. The only things I have to buy with the school logo on are the jumpers and tops. I simply hit the school second hand shop and paid $6 a top and $10 for the jumper. I stop by every few weeks to check the stock for larger sizes he will grow in to. I did the same at the old school and got a school jacket, 2 schools jumpers and 2 logo tops for the bargin price of $10

I have 3 school logo tops, 3 pairs of shorts and one school jumper all second hand from the school shop and also the local op shop for $2 a pair. No school coat or backpack although lots of kids do have the backpacks in the early years, by year 4 or 5 they mostly seem to have the more colourful and fashionable ones.

I will use the second hand shops throughout school to help kit my kid out. I don't mind using that stuff in the least and will buy new if needed but happy with second hand all the way on the logo stuff if I can get it.

Edited by Guest
typo

I have 2 of everything for son. Last year I bought 3 shirts but found I could manage with 2 (with the faction shirt) and I am fussy about dirty/soiled clothes....he wears them for 2 days each (or less if soiled) then they get washed at the end of the week or midweek if there's a load. I don't count how many I do I just put it on if theres a full load...it's hardly time consuming is it? The hanging out is the worst bit but I often just pull out what needs drying quickly then whoever has time hangs out when they can...I wouldn't dream of wasting my money on 5 sets of everything, I just don't see it as necessary?

I buy logoed jacket (only 1!!) and polo shirts and Target shorts/pants. I bought the uniform shop pants once and the knees came through. I buy uniform stuff from Next Online as they never have what I need in Target when I need it.

• 1 year later...

hey Caingary,

According to me, at Every school like government and private school dress should be compulsory.. The major responsibility should be to all school's Principles to open the every shop like stationary and school uniform.. and other thing is that they give everything at low cost than other outside shops. I think it's very helpful for all the students and every parents... Because the school dress revels the personality of students...

Thanks

I think one of the ideas of a school uniform is so the rich kids who have all the designer clothes can't swan it over the poorer kids- and I am all for it. Parents who genuinely can't afford the uniforms are given assistance and most schools are tactful and discreet about this. I feel sorry for kids with parents who try to make them look different from the rest just because of some 'principle'. Pathetic.