Perth to Coral Bay

blobby1000

I have done this trek once before and stopped in Monkey Mia (rip off and may as well go to a zoo) and Kalbarri (very pleasant but 70km off the highway and I think two drives of 1100km in a fortnight with two kids will be quite enough without detours!!

I appreciate there are few towns up the West Coast but does anyone have any inspirational advice for great places to stay on the way, doesnt have to be a town, can be just a great cabin over looking the ocean in the middle of nowhere, just places to stop to rest for a night or two!!

Thanks!!

Guest Reebe

If you are going more south, I would recommend Yallingup Forest Resort - not sure if this is too far off your route?

I stayed their for a couple of nights when I got engaged to the OH. Kids will love it It takes around 4 hrs to drive from Perth.

The Cabins are brilliant, and it's great to wake up in the middle of a forest. However it's a bit expensive but they do brew their own "rocket fuel" beer!

Guest AKA63029

Hi Blobby.

Not too much to add, except for me it IS the road trip that Has to be done.

Stayed in various places from monkey Mia to 'cabins' at servos,:elvis: and camped all the way up.

Best time of my life, but appreciate it could be difficult with young ones.

Either way mate, enjoy it and it's not often I say this, but a tad jealous.

Cheers Tony.

Thanks AKA I hoped you would pop up on here.

I will be great to show my wife an entirely different side of Australia literally!

We have a week to get up there (but will spend a few of those days in Perth) and will attempt to drive back in 2 days!! (That will be an experience).

Realistically can you only really stay in Geraldton, Kalbarri, Monkey Mia, Carnavon?

I was hoping there would be cabins overlooking shark bay.......cabins next to a servo is more normal though!!

Was at Monkey Mia on my WHV - but we were only there a few hours. We are over in September our little one will be nearly 2 so was looking to head north for where is would be a little warmer.

Bit further north - Exmouth was amazing for Snorklling and diving. Remember there was a beach somewhere in WA further North that you couldnt go swimming in due to the Sharks/Sea Snakes/Stinngers or Corcs

Guest AKA63029
Thanks AKA I hoped you would pop up on here.

I will be great to show my wife an entirely different side of Australia literally!

We have a week to get up there (but will spend a few of those days in Perth) and will attempt to drive back in 2 days!! (That will be an experience).

Realistically can you only really stay in Geraldton, Kalbarri, Monkey Mia, Carnavon?

I was hoping there would be cabins overlooking shark bay.......cabins next to a servo is more normal though!!

Sorry mate these are the two best I could find. Though the west coast is far more developed than years ago it is still fairly stark in many places.

http://www.rent-a-home.com.au/accommodation/wa/mid-west-6

http://www.ozbeachfront.com/index.html

When I say 'cabins' mate I mean the very basic, bed, errrr, bed, and oh yes, a bed, and if really lucky some 'nighttime' entertainment in the form of animal life. NOT good for a young family though Blobby.

I would love to do this trip but with a 6 year old in the back she would drive us crazy!

We did the short trip to dongara camping last weekend and we loved it and has really wet our appetite for a great ozzie road trip!

The thought of leaving in the night sounds appealing as hopefully she would sleep most of the journey then!

If you did the trip in 1 day how long would you have to stay to get the most out of it? And what's it like in winter all the way up there?

I was looking forward to seeing monkey Mia, and have been told that kalbarrie is somewhere to see, is it really not worth the effort?

I would love to do this trip but with a 6 year old in the back she would drive us crazy!

We did the short trip to dongara camping last weekend and we loved it and has really wet our appetite for a great ozzie road trip!

The thought of leaving in the night sounds appealing as hopefully she would sleep most of the journey then!

If you did the trip in 1 day how long would you have to stay to get the most out of it? And what's it like in winter all the way up there?

I was looking forward to seeing monkey Mia, and have been told that kalbarrie is somewhere to see, is it really not worth the effort?

We also do it every year and it isn't as bad as it sounds with kids. The first time 7 years ago was when my kids were 7 and 3. We invested in portable dvd players for the car, they both had Nintendos, iPods and plenty of activities and snacks. We stop at Geraldton for breakfast and then quick stop for toilet breaks where necessary. Monkey Mia is pointless. Denham is worth a few days and Coral Bay is my favourite place in the whole world, my kids even now at 14 and 10 love it. The kids soon make friends with others on the camp site and we never see them only when they are hungry!

Was at Monkey Mia on my WHV - but we were only there a few hours. We are over in September our little one will be nearly 2 so was looking to head north for where is would be a little warmer.

Bit further north - Exmouth was amazing for Snorklling and diving. Remember there was a beach somewhere in WA further North that you couldnt go swimming in due to the Sharks/Sea Snakes/Stinngers or Corcs

Jesus!!!! Where was this beach? No crocodiles in Coral Bay thank God!

Yes the whole trip os most certainly worth the effort. I have done it before but not with children. My point about Kalbarri is that its 60km off the highway which may be a bit too much considering we will be doing 2200km in total!! But Kalbarri is a nice place. Monkey Mias is a waste of time. They feed Dolphins fish, they come into the shore and you cannot see cos there are millions of people there. Even if you can see, its not like a wildlife experience, more like a circus, much better to get out on a boat trip and see Dolphins in their proper natural environment.

I doubt there is a nicer place in earct than Coral Bay and I cannot imagine leaving Australia without getting baxck there with my family...we will do a flight to Perth and a massive drive but it is definitely worth it!

Sorry mate these are the two best I could find. Though the west coast is far more developed than years ago it is still fairly stark in many places.

http://www.rent-a-home.com.au/accommodation/wa/mid-west-6

http://www.ozbeachfront.com/index.html

When I say 'cabins' mate I mean the very basic, bed, errrr, bed, and oh yes, a bed, and if really lucky some 'nighttime' entertainment in the form of animal life. NOT good for a young family though Blobby.

Thanks for your help once more.

Probably best to get off the highway and stay in Kalbarri and then somewhere further up for a night....

We also do it every year and it isn't as bad as it sounds with kids. The first time 7 years ago was when my kids were 7 and 3. We invested in portable dvd players for the car, they both had Nintendos, iPods and plenty of activities and snacks. We stop at Geraldton for breakfast and then quick stop for toilet breaks where necessary. Monkey Mia is pointless. Denham is worth a few days and Coral Bay is my favourite place in the whole world, my kids even now at 14 and 10 love it. The kids soon make friends with others on the camp site and we never see them only when they are hungry!

Whats at Denham?

No one has mentioned Cervantes yet as a possible overnight stop over. It is close to The Pinnicles, a rock formation and popular day trip from Perth. I wouldn't do it as a day trip but it is better viewed at sunset. We stayed at the backpackers which was rather nice, but shouldn't be difficult to camp around there.

Dongara is ok but Kalbarri would be my choice for a night. Better off not spending too much time en route,giving more time at Coral Bay, perhaps one of the best places in Oz. Certainly on the West Coast together with the South Coast area around Albany and Denmark.....

No one has mentioned Cervantes yet as a possible overnight stop over. It is close to The Pinnicles, a rock formation and popular day trip from Perth. I wouldn't do it as a day trip but it is better viewed at sunset. We stayed at the backpackers which was rather nice, but shouldn't be difficult to camp around there.

Dongara is ok but Kalbarri would be my choice for a night. Better off not spending too much time en route,giving more time at Coral Bay, perhaps one of the best places in Oz. Certainly on the West Coast together with the South Coast area around Albany and Denmark.....

I loved Exmouth (thought I'd died and gone to heaven it was so peaceful and beautiful), just me and my family sat on a beach with turtles coming to shore ... all we needed was David Attenborough to pop up and give a commentry.

Have to agree with Albany and Denmark as places to visit - we haven't got to Esperance yet, but we really loved our stay in Albany and Denmark

I loved Exmouth (thought I'd died and gone to heaven it was so peaceful and beautiful), just me and my family sat on a beach with turtles coming to shore ... all we needed was David Attenborough to pop up and give a commentry.

Have to agree with Albany and Denmark as places to visit - we haven't got to Esperance yet, but we really loved our stay in Albany and Denmark

Esperance is a little too remote for me but have been there a few times. Some great National Parks nearby with wonderful beaches. Good fishing for folk like enjoy that. Watched local folk hauling in Skip Jack and Herring by handline close to the wharf. The sea appeared to be teeming with them.

Lovely beach in front of the town(apart from when the wind is up) and the famous old tanker jetty,where the kids can feed the sea lion that lives by the jetty.

We camped there and no problem at all apart from our original choice by the beach being too windy forcing us to go a little inland.

Guest guest17301

Planning our first trip later this year. Luckily our 6 yr old is fab in the car, loves to sit and look out of the window.

I was thinking of going to Monkey Mia to see the Dewgongs (dugongs?). Did any of you see any there if you were around at the right time of year? I'd love to see one. I've been put off a bit now, having seen the comments on here. I don't know anyone who has been there so I've only looked at the brochures and websites. I haven't heard of anywhere else where I can see them.

I have done this trek once before and stopped in Monkey Mia (rip off and may as well go to a zoo) and Kalbarri (very pleasant but 70km off the highway and I think two drives of 1100km in a fortnight with two kids will be quite enough without detours!!

I appreciate there are few towns up the West Coast but does anyone have any inspirational advice for great places to stay on the way, doesnt have to be a town, can be just a great cabin over looking the ocean in the middle of nowhere, just places to stop to rest for a night or two!!

Thanks!!

We went on a fishing trip from Perth to Coral Bay, stops were Geraldton,Quabba(very dangerous for fishing off the rocks though) ,Kalbarri some good fishing can be done here , we stayed at Tudor caravan park ..pretty basic but ok http://tudorholidaypark.com.au/ then onto Coral bay for a while ...the stops break it up and are needed.....there was a massive rock along the way where you can drive up to it and see for many many miles and is stunning butnot too sure at what point it was .........window.jpgwe had our picture took here at Kalbarri National park , a must for people in sight seeing .....

window.jpg

Thanks for all your posts.

I had totally forgottem Cerventes and the Pinnacles...

Looks like we have a few options on the way up. Only got 3 days to get back so that may be a bit more traumatic but definitely worth it...

To the person that is put off Monkey Mia....I wouldnt be, I didnt rate it but that doesnt mean you wont and you will see some great stuff along the way but you should keep going and get to Coral Bay and Exmouth!!

Archived