Which Secondary Schools in Perth to look at for a Gifted 14 year old boy!

erincowell

I have been researching Secondary schools for my 14 year old son. I am all too aware of catchment areas BUT would like to choose a school first then look at the area for houses. Trouble is which schools? Reading on-line is one thing but reality is another. He is in the gifted category and so would like to try and find the best match for him. We have contacted GATE and he may growing face hair by time that process may get him into a school.:em4600:

Anyway - I am looking at possibility of Private as well (dependant on fees and waiting lists).

Without wishing to start a thread war - as we all have our own opinions and experiences with schools - I would really, really like to get peoples opinions and experiences and knowledge regarding schools for my young man. Schools on paper look very different don't they to the reality.

We would probably prefer to be closer to Perth - the beaches etc are not our priority.

Please jump in!

My daughters high school offers AEP (academic extension) for years 8, 9 and 10 after which years 11 and 12 the pupils study for WACE and therefore will be in the classes that they chose for options.

Just something that might be worth checking - I have no idea what the policy is in WA, but here in NSW people on temporary (as opposed to PR) visas are quite severely disadvantaged in the public school system - selective high schools AND opportunity classes from Yr 7 onwards are closed to their kids (less formalised "enrichment" is OK)

Might be irrelevant if you're on a PR visa anyway, and/or if WA take a different view, but I'd check it out.

Thought I would put my 2 pennies worth in. We were in Perth from Aug 08 - march 2010 and our son sat the tests for gifted and talented when he was there. He was then offered a place for selective academic g&t place. We obviously cancelled his place when we decided to return to the UK as there is a waiting list for places so his place would have been given to the next highest ranking performance. Also we were there on a temp 457 visa and he did g&t in Perth more or less from when we arrived with no issues at all. Hope it works out for you and your son.

Just something that might be worth checking - I have no idea what the policy is in WA, but here in NSW people on temporary (as opposed to PR) visas are quite severely disadvantaged in the public school system - selective high schools AND opportunity classes from Yr 7 onwards are closed to their kids (less formalised "enrichment" is OK)

Might be irrelevant if you're on a PR visa anyway, and/or if WA take a different view, but I'd check it out.

We are not migrating, I am a returning Australian (after many years in UK). My son didn't sit the last GATE tests as we hadn't seen any of the schools - so indecision reigned. Problem is now I realisethese tests are only conducted once a year so will have to find a school to attend whilst waiting for these tests. He is in the top 2% here in the UK so I am moderately confident that he would be successful. However, it is all becoming a bit of a challenge given that we will have to choose a "temporary" school for a year or so. I am not even sure anymore what year he will go into. He is 14 and will be 15 mid January 2013. I am guessing year 9 for 2012?

First priority when we have fixed arrival date is to go see the schools and see what they are like and whether admission is going to be as big a problem that everyone seems to talk about.

• 2 weeks later...

have a look at this - check out the top ranking 50 schools - http://www.curriculum.wa.edu.au/internet/Publications/Reports/Statistical_Reports/School_Comparison_Statistics

top ranking govt school in Perth - Shenton College, Churchlands, Rossmoyne, Applecross, Duncraig. Best all boy schools - Hale, Christ Church Grammar,

Best Catholic (cheaper fees) John XXIII College

Perth Modern is selective - if you have a psychologist report with IQ assessment may be worth showing them that and seeing if you have any luck.

Archived