Need some help with getting together some monthly expenses

poochibabes

Hi there

I was just hoping you folk could help me out a bit. We are hoping to move to Brisbane at the beginning of August on a 457 sponsorship and we are in the process of looking at houses to rent on the web - but I need some assistance with other more generalist costings in the following areas:

1 - Food/Groceries budget P/W - in the UK we spend approx £70

2 - Public Transport costs - I believe there is a card system for area?

3 - Mobile Phone costs - I spend approx £30 per month on mine at the moment (Iphone with 3G)

4 - Wireless Internet cost for home

5 - Gas/Electricity/Water (will be living in a 2 bedroom place at first -probably a small house)

6 - To fill up a small car tank what is the cost of petrol - probably automatic, something like a small Mazda Auto

7 - Council Tax/rates if applicable?

8- Cost of visiting the doctor/GP? We are getting the mid/high range of Medicare

9 - House Insurance

Thanks in advance!

Louise

Hi there

I was just hoping you folk could help me out a bit. We are hoping to move to Brisbane at the beginning of August on a 457 sponsorship and we are in the process of looking at houses to rent on the web - but I need some assistance with other more generalist costings in the following areas:

3 - Mobile Phone costs - I spend approx £30 per month on mine at the moment (Iphone with 3G)

5 - Gas/Electricity/Water (will be living in a 2 bedroom place at first -probably a small house)

6 - To fill up a small car tank what is the cost of petrol - probably automatic, something like a small Mazda Auto

8- Cost of visiting the doctor/GP? We are getting the mid/high range of Medicare

9 - House Insurance

Thanks in advance!

Louise

Hi there

Do you have kids??? Food roughly for us for a family of 3 in Gladstone costs us approx $160pw

mobile phone contract on Telstra costs $50 per month

internet per month $80 that includes phone line !!

petrol is $1.50 per litre and I have a small auto Mazda and it costs $65 to fill up

medicare is free to register but you will have to pay for scans and other services you would get free in the uk, do you have private medical cover??? Some people do take this out but we don't feel the need for it. Try and find a doctors that do bulk billing and then you won't be charged to see the doctor, if they advertise partial billing you will have to pay something towards seeing the gp.!!!!!

no council tax (to my knowledge) only been here for 9weeks!!!!

house insurance, cheaper than the uk, but we have a 3bed apartment here but 4 bed detached house in the uk!!! And car insurance cheaper than uk but car rego( equivalent to uk rd tax) can be costly!!!!! And the transfer of ownership when you buy a car can be a shock if you don't know about it !!!! I think it's 2% of the sale price of the car. So be prepared !!!!! Lol

Hope this helps,

Millers

Guest Guest31881

Council rates is paid by the house owner, the landlord if you rent.

Car rego is more expensive but it includes a Compulsory 3rd party insurance ( Only covers personal injury not property), this brings down the cost of your car insurance.

Cost of GP around $60 a visit but you get rebate from Medicare of around $30, My GP bulk Bills so not sure about costs with others

No TV license here

Water bills in a rented accommodation you have to check on before you sign contract, Some charge for using over an agreed allowance. Others do not charge you for water.

Hi there,

Info on approximate costs from our point of view (me, the wife and dog in a 3 bed house in FNQ):

Supermarket - $150 a week (sometimes less, sometimes a bit more)

Public transport – don’t use so can’t comment

Mobile phone - $80 per month

Home internet - $100 per month

Gas – Zero (no gas supply in our house)

Electricity - $400 per quarter

Water - $100 per quarter

Tank of fuel (50L) - $75

Rates - $2200 per year

Private health - $120 per month (covers the wife only and for a high end policy)

House insurance - $1400 per year

Not sure what you mean by “We are getting the mid/high range of Medicare” as I thought Medicare was a bit like the NHS. I just have a medicare card (it’s free). Not used the docs though or looked at it properly so can’t say much else about it!

All the best!

hi everyone thanks for your answers - sorry meant private healthcare not medicare (me being a dumb ass lol!).

In terms of getting onboard with a doctor how would I go about doing that? My little girl has a hole in her heart (its not a big problem it sounds alot worse than it is) and will need to probably have a Echo (heart scan) about every six to nine months by a cardiologist. The only treatment she has regularly is oral duriectics which I need to get on perscription about every 8 weeks (i'll bring a supply with me for the first couple of months). I'm assuming i'll need to register with a doctor there first who will refer us to a cardiologist at the designated hospital?

Thanks again this website is a godsend!

Louise x

1 - Food/Groceries budget P/W - We are a family of 5 and I spend between $150-$200 a week

2 - Public Transport costs - My husband and eldest daughter depend on public transport. My husband travels 45 minutes each way on the train and his daily cost is about $10. My eldest uses the buses and costs around $2 a day. They each have Go cards.

3 - Mobile Phone costs - I think my iphone plan is around $60 a month with Optus.

4 - Wireless Internet cost for home- We have a home phone and internet package with Optus and pay $109 a month.

5 - Gas/Electricity/Water- Our quarterly electricity bill is usually around $680. We have a 4 bedroom house and air conditioning on the upper floor. Our landlord pays most of the water and our portion of the bill was only $72 for 4 months.

6 - To fill up a small car tank what is the cost of petrol- I have a Toyota SUV and my car, which is an auto, costs about $95 to fill up.

7 - Council Tax/rates if applicable? None. The landlord pays it.

8- Cost of visiting the doctor/GP? Our GP bulk bills for children and it costs my husband and me about $30ish to see the doctor. Prescriptions are usually a maximum of $35.40. I say usually because some aren't covered by PBS. This is where our private medical insurance is very helpful for us.

9 - House Insurance- Our renters insurance is about $45 per month.

Here are our expenses ('mature' couple no kids):

1 - Food/Groceries budget P/W - Around $100 give or take a tenner, depends whether we make a seperate trip to Aldi for meat and basics!

2 - Public Transport costs - If I took the bus (or combo bus/train/citycat) both ways every day, roughly $40 a week (and after 10 trips in one week it's free, so that would be the absolute max) but I get a lift from hubby most days!

3 - Mobile Phone costs - $30 Optus PAYG thinger, great for my smartphone and includes loads of call credit good for occasional UK calls!

4 - Wireless Internet cost for home - $69 including phone line rental + 100 mins international/free local, great speed and unlimited downloads (with TPG)

5 - Gas/Electricity/Water - no charge for water as yet, gas $40/month, only been billed 2 months electricity approx $70/month

6 - To fill up a small car tank what is the cost of petrol - no idea! But hubby's work ute is approx $80 to fill up.

7 - Council Tax/rates if applicable? N/A

8- Cost of visiting the doctor/GP? Been once - $60 with $35 medicare instant rebate so $25.

9 - House Insurance - $120 for the year with Coles, contents only

1 - Food/Groceries budget P/W - around $120 for 2 of us, sometimes more, sometimes a bit less

2 - Public Transport costs - don't use it

3 - Mobile Phone costs - $20 for a very basic plan

4 - Wireless Internet cost for home - not wireless, $160 a month includes phone

5 - Gas/Electricity/Water don't have mains water or gas, elec we have solar panels but before that about $300/$350 per quarter.

6 - To fill up a small car tank what is the cost of petrol - around $65

7 - Council Tax/rates $1700 a year

8- Cost of visiting the doctor/GP? around $35 out of pocket cost, prescriptions are $35 a time

9 - House Insurance building & contents $1300 a year

You can do a virtual shop at

coles.com.au

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/

This will help

http://translink.com.au/

http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares

http://www.telstra.com.au'>http://www.telstra.com.au

http://www.optus.com.au/

http://www.vodafone.com.au

will help with plans

Same site as mobile phones will help with plans and pricing.

http://www.makeitcheaper.com.au/Prices

should help

motormouth.com.au

Owner pays, not lessee

http://www.phio.org.au/downloads/file/PublicationItems/DoctorsBill.pdf

9 - House Insurance

youi.com.au

Nrma.com.au

racq.com.au

All allow you to get an online quote

Hope this helps. All the sites you should be able to tweak to your circumstances and requirments

to the OP were on a 457 going/gone to qld as part of the visa private medical insurance has to be in place the company arranged the lowest cover through bupa at a cost of $320 a month so take this into account obviously may get it slightly cheaper else where hope this helps as it was a shock for us lol

Hi there,

Info on approximate costs from our point of view (me, the wife and dog in a 3 bed house in FNQ):

Supermarket - $150 a week (sometimes less, sometimes a bit more)

Public transport – don’t use so can’t comment

Mobile phone - $80 per month

Home internet - $100 per month

Gas – Zero (no gas supply in our house)

Electricity - $400 per quarter

Water - $100 per quarter

Tank of fuel (50L) - $75

Rates - $2200 per year

Private health - $120 per month (covers the wife only and for a high end policy)

House insurance - $1400 per year

Not sure what you mean by “We are getting the mid/high range of Medicare” as I thought Medicare was a bit like the NHS. I just have a medicare card (it’s free). Not used the docs though or looked at it properly so can’t say much else about it!

All the best!

Hi Frogian,

Just got a couple of questions about your list above. Who do you use for your mobile and home internet and are there any to avoid for reasons such as bad signal or bad customer service. Also are the rates based on the size of your home as they used to be in the UK?

Spenner

Archived