Perth rainfall

movingback

I'm an avid weather buff and reviewing the BOM website today, it looks like Perth was swamped last night - 115mm!! In the middle of summer! This is unheard of out there surely? Is there much flooding/damage?
It's never been that unusual to get a lot of rain all at once in Perth.

Perth can get some incredible summer storms. We were there when cyclone tails have come down. I did a meet with a member from the Perth forum who had just arrived and we were having lunch when a storm hit that caused massive flash flooding and road signs on the old coast road were bent 90 degrees.

I also remeber the infamous hail storm one summer, we sat on the balcony watching an incredible lightning storm in the distance only to hear the news that the city had been pounded by golf ball sized hail and thousands of cars were left covered in big dents.

I have also also seen some freak desert storms in WA, including one a year last December in which nearly half a meter fell in less than an hour - a dirt dry desert track 40km from Norseman went from that to large trees washing past me in a space of minutes. Probably the hardest off road driving I have ever done and I drive off road for a living world wide. A storm near laverton in 2010 in which 59km of underground mine workings where I was working flooded from 2km below ground to surface in less than 30 minutes. I have videos of both and pretty spectacular. There are videos of the later online.

A quick fact, the area south of Perth between Rockingham and Mandurah has the highest instance by square km of tornados in the world.