2nd hand furniture & white goods needed in Sydney?

Guest Watersports

Guest Watersports

Hi Sydneysiders,

We're about to move into our new apartment which of course comes with practically nothing!

Does anyone know any good websites or places to search for good quality furniture and white goods? In an ideal world, I'd like to find where the ex-pats who are returning home sell all their stuff as alot of the items I've seen in shops are either over-priced or too shabby.

Going to a few garage sales this weekend, not sure if they're any good or not?!!

Cheers in advance

Fred

Guest Watersports

Thanks - i'll give that a go. We went to Ikea and got some essentials but living life without a table nad chairs, sofa etc is getting tough!!

Guest Rachel83

Hi Fred

Whereabouts in Sydney are you? There's a little place in Chatswood called Danehill Furniture which sells good quality furniture at really good prices. I went in there the other day and got a modular leather sofa for $3000 (exactly the same as the one that cost $4500 in King Furniture!). Also bought a bed, dining table and chairs etc, and because we bought so much they gave us another 20% off already good prices.

I think because they are independant and not part of a big name chain they can do things a lot more cheaply. They don't seem to have a website but I found their contact details:

Address: 407-411 Victoria Ave, Chatswood, NSW 2067 Phone: (02) 9415 4688 Might be worth a try if you live this side of the city. They were brilliant for us!Hope this helps, and good luck!Rachel :)

Guest Rachel83

PS only down side is that they request full payment before or on delivery, so none of this 12/24/36 months interest free credit I'm afraid!

Guest gary12

Hi Fred

Have you tried the Freecycle site?

Regions of Australia

I use them here in the UK to get rid of unwanted items and you would be amazed at what people give away.

If you put on a post saying wanted etc... I'm sure you would be able to get some stuff free, can't get cheaper than that! The only condition is that you collect items promptly, as an example my sister needed a new washing machine when funds were tight I posted a wanted for her and within the hour someone had come back to me with one.

Worth a try I'd say,

best wishes Michelle :wubclub:

Guest Watersports

Thanks for all your help on this. We're slowly collecting bits and pieces so no longer eating standing up :-)

Just in case anyone else in interested, I've found that Sydney Classifieds - jobs in Sydney, flats to rent, Sydney dating is pretty good and of course ebay. So far the garage sales for me have been fairly limited in their usefulness. People seem to use it more to dispose of junk then useful bits and pieces but maybe I'm just picking the wrong ones.

Might try and auction or two this weekend. Has anyone had any experiences at these and whether it's worth the trip or not?

• 2 years later...
Guest briang

Hi Fred,

We are retuning to England and have the following items for sale (if you are still looking):

Moran 2 seat leather settee,

Fridge/ Freezer,

Microwave,

Bookcase,

Oriental TV cabinet,

2 Cane armchairs with cushion seats,

Pine kitchen table and 4 chairs,

Queen size bed +mattress,

Ikea flat-pack shelving,

2 burner stainless steel bbq

Regards

Brian Glennon