ROAD TRIP MELBOURNE to GOLD COAST

ausHWC

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have experience of doing this road trip? We are planning to do this before we begin the hum drums of working life. We wanted to know if our plan below was realistic in terms of driving distance and times in a day. Also would like to know if there are better places to stop over night than the ones that we have planned below:

Day 1: Drive from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga and stay one night in Wagga.

Day 2: Drive from Wagga to Parkes and stay one night in Parkes.

Day 3: Drive from Parkes to Moree and stay one night in Moree.

Day 4: Drive from Moree into the GOLD COAST.

Staying on holiday for two weeks in gold coast, then on the way back planned more of a coastal route:

Day 19: Drive from Gold Coast to Coffs Harbour and stay one night in Coffs.

Day 20 : Drive from Coffs Harbour to Forster and stay one night in Forster.

Day 21 : Drive from Forster to Sydney and stay two nights in Sydney.

Day 23: Drive from Sydney to Albury and stay one night in Albury.

Day 24 : Drive from Albury back to Melbourne!!

Any experience road trippers with advice would be greatly welcomed ! :smile:

Thanks in advance to all useful tips and recommendations.

Wagga is only a 6 hour drive from the Mornington Peninsula, so uless you want to see anything there, I would go further. Not sure why you would take that route. We used to head straight up the Newell Highway. We usually aimed for Dubbo for the first night, the the GC the second night. If you want to take in the Parkes telescope or the Dubbo Zoo, longer of course. Coast road to Sydney drive is OK, but we used to do it with one stop at Coffs. Also, as has been mentioned, the Princess Highway back to Melbourne rather than the Hume if you have no time constraints. If you decide to take the Hume, divert to Canberra for a couple of nights.

Definitely do the coast road south of sydney, some of the most beautiful beaches in oz!

I was talking to a couple of guys in the pub who'd been down the Hume to Melbourne, and they said it was just a case of putting the speed control on 110 or 120, whatever the maximum speed is, and getting down there ASAP, just like any other motorway drive. Fair enough, if you want to get there quickly, but not if you are on a scenic drive.

Wagga is only a 6 hour drive from the Mornington Peninsula, so uless you want to see anything there, I would go further. Not sure why you would take that route. We used to head straight up the Newell Highway. We usually aimed for Dubbo for the first night, the the GC the second night. If you want to take in the Parkes telescope or the Dubbo Zoo, longer of course. Coast road to Sydney drive is OK, but we used to do it with one stop at Coffs. Also, as has been mentioned, the Princess Highway back to Melbourne rather than the Hume if you have no time constraints. If you decide to take the Hume, divert to Canberra for a couple of nights.

That's a good idea! Again, if it's a scenic drive, there are variations, maybe take that road from Canberra to 'Canberra-on-Sea!' (Batemans Bay) Or maybe that road through Cooma to Cann River.

It time is NOT of the essence, well, I spent seven nights getting from Brisbane to Sydney via the Pacific Highway, and about the same between Sydney and Melbourne on a different trip via The Princes Highway (and the same again, between Melbourne and Adelaide.)

Agree. Not sure the Gold Coast would have enough for two weeks holiday entertainment?

Depends if you have kids and want to do the Theme Parks etc, there is also the hinterland and also Brisbane and Sunshine coast are both within easy reach of the Gold Coast, you could easily spend 2 weeks doing all of these, one week may not be enough. Despite some folk disparaging it GC is the most popular place in Australia for Australians to go on holiday.

In terms of your trip, we have done it in two separate journeys, i.e. Melb-Syd and Syd-Gold Coast. For the Melbourne bit I remember Lakes Entrance being nice and also Bega/Tahra/Narooma. Between Syd and GC we only stayed in Port McQuarie which is a nice little seaside town one night and did the whole trip in a long days drive on the way back, I did think Coffs was nothing special (apart from the Big Banana of course!)

Edited by freebo

I was talking to a couple of guys in the pub who'd been down the Hume to Melbourne, and they said it was just a case of putting the speed control on 110 or 120, whatever the maximum speed is, and getting down there ASAP, just like any other motorway drive. Fair enough, if you want to get there quickly, but not if you are on a scenic drive.

That's the only way to do the Hume, really! Boring as batsh*t and only worth detouring off at Albury for a Noosa salad at the little restaurant in the Main Street. At least it bypasses everything now I think.

Thanks Folks,

Soaking up the advice, and thinking of changing itinerary. We figured 2 weeks in Gold coast because we have 2 kids one is 5yrs and the other 7 yrs and there seemed like alot to do for them and us, as we have never been before, I just thought 2 weeks would be about right in Gold coast.

We are not in a great rush as we have time, I think we will cross of Wagga of the stopovers list, it was only there because it looked like its a third of the drive and a main listed town, but if there is nothing interesting there, then maybe try to get to Parkes in one day.

We thought on the way up use inland highway to gold coast and on the way back to melbourne use the coastal route, hence the difference in routes.

Is Newcastle worth a stopover at night?

Whats a Noosa Salad :-).?

Thanks again,

Any great tips for long drives would also be appreciated, eg: Is it really necessary to buy a jerry can of petrol? are the drives so isolated that there is a chance of no petrol station for miles on end?

I don't know what a 'Noosa salad' is, to be honest.

No, you don't need to take a jerry can of petrol with you as you won't be in the Outback, and even there, you only need it if you are going off the bitumen. Just make sure you have plenty of petrol before you leave a town, if it is a long way to the next one.

Just treat it as an adventure, not much different though from driving from England to the tip of Italy.

Depends if you have kids and want to do the Theme Parks etc, there is also the hinterland and also Brisbane and Sunshine coast are both within easy reach of the Gold Coast, you could easily spend 2 weeks doing all of these, one week may not be enough. Despite some folk disparaging it GC is the most popular place in Australia for Australians to go on holiday.

In terms of your trip, we have done it in two separate journeys, i.e. Melb-Syd and Syd-Gold Coast. For the Melbourne bit I remember Lakes Entrance being nice and also Bega/Tahra/Narooma. Between Syd and GC we only stayed in Port McQuarie which is a nice little seaside town one night and did the whole trip in a long days drive on the way back, I did think Coffs was nothing special (apart from the Big Banana of course!)[/QUOTE]

I'm not so keen on Coffs, but I loved Sawtell, which is practically a suburb of Coffs, and Bellingen, just a few kilometres inland, is well worth a visit.

[h=2]About Bellingen[/h]One of Australia's best-kept secrets, Bellingen is a picturesque town situated roughly halfway between Brisbane and Sydney. Running through the centre of town is the Bellinger River – providing tranquil water views for many of the guesthouses in the region. Replete with natural beauty, Bellingen promises a relaxing retreat from the hustle and bustle of modern life.

Bellingen caters to travellers from all walks of life – regardless of budget. For travellers on a shoestring, comfortable backpacker's accommodation is available, and there are also ample camping options. With pleasant weather conditions all year round, Bellinger is the perfect place to experience the unique splendour of Australia's natural environment.

Luxury accommodation options are also available in Bellingen, perfect for those looking for a romantic weekend away. Intimate cottages line the Bellinger River, and a host of charming bed and breakfast guesthouses can be found close to the town.

Bellingen also has a number of eco huts and farmstay accommodation options. For those who would like to take some time out from their busy lives but want to do so in an ecologically sustainable way, the eco huts around Bellingen provide the perfect solution. Surrounded by verdant greenery, Bellinger is a nature-lover's dream come true.

Warm and mild even during the winter months, the weather in Bellingen is close to perfect. This makes it possible to enjoy bushwalking, cycling, camping and water sports all year round. The gorgeous weather also makes Bellingen the ideal location for Australia's largest regional markets – which attract visitors from all around NSW. The <strong>Bellingen markets</strong> boast a surplus of locally-grown produce and handmade crafts, and there is live entertainment for all ages. Guests to the area can easily spend a whole day wandering around the markets, taking in the sights, smells and sounds.

Referred to as the creative hub of the Coffs Harbour region, Bellingen is also home to the Bellingen Jazz and Blues Festival (held every year around August). Within the Bellingen community are a number of writers, artists and musicians – imbuing the area with a dynamic creative energy. Filled with natural splendour and abuzz with food, music and culture, Bellingen is a true gem.

Any great tips for long drives would also be appreciated, eg: Is it really necessary to buy a jerry can of petrol? are the drives so isolated that there is a chance of no petrol station for miles on end?

We did a round trip to Longreach a few months ago, which is kind of the edge of the outback, long drives most days, especially the last one when we did Charleville back to Gold Coast, overall it was about 2,800 km's in a week (some crazy guys at work actually suggested driving to Uluru & back in 10 days, about 8,000kms :eek:)

Anyway, things we found helpful.

Audiobooks, just to break up the journey.

In country areas avoid dawn & dusk, too many bouncing creatures on the road, saw a heap of dead roo's by the roadside - you really don't want to hit one in a hire car (or any car really).

Petrol, no need for a jerry but don't even think about stretching a tankful, do some planning around distance to next town and we also tended to fill up every time we saw a servo and where less than half full, similar strategy for toilet breaks, in reverse...

Be really careful passing Road Trains, they are bigger and quite a lot faster than you'd think.

If you're in any way fussy choose your accommodation carefully, some country motels are very basic, and often that's all there is.

You probably won't be going anywhere quite that remote on your trip but some may apply anyway and sounds like you're not planning to go too far each day which is a good thing - easy to spend the entire day on the road if you're not realistic with planning (I know a guy who often does Melbourne to Gold Coast in a single 24 hour DAY :SLEEP:)

Definitely do the coast Road- stop at Eden, Merimbula, Nelson Bay . I love Ulladulla too, another place you could stay on the way up. One night is not enough to stay- travel and have at least 2 nights stopping otherwise you'll miss out. Try Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast, nicer than Surfers.

Definitely do the coast Road- stop at Eden, Merimbula, Nelson Bay . I love Ulladulla too, another place you could stay on the way up. One night is not enough to stay- travel and have at least 2 nights stopping otherwise you'll miss out. Try Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast, nicer than Surfers.

Aka 'Ultradulla!' (Joke!) Mollymook right next door is nice too. I've overnighted at Eden and Merimbula too and also like Batemans Bay. On the Victorian side, if you can be bothered to drive a few kilometres from the Princes Highway, Mallacoota is nice, and I liked Lakes Entrance too.

I don't know what a 'Noosa salad' is, to be honest.

No, you don't need to take a jerry can of petrol with you as you won't be in the Outback, and even there, you only need it if you are going off the bitumen. Just make sure you have plenty of petrol before you leave a town, if it is a long way to the next one.

Just treat it as an adventure, not much different though from driving from England to the tip of Italy.

Noosa Salad - just an invention of the local cafe owner I suspect but well dressed leaves, mango, avocado, pine nuts and chicken from memory. Well worth a small diversion.

Whilst you don't need a jerry can many people take one anyway (more us oldies I suspect) - only other thing I would recommend is to take out premium road service cover. The basic road service cover can leave you a bit short if you need to be towed anywhere - not sure what the Vic equivalent of NRMA is but for long trips it's definitely worth the extra premium.

I second the idea of audio books to relieve the boredom

Noosa Salad - just an invention of the local cafe owner I suspect but well dressed leaves, mango, avocado, pine nuts and chicken from memory. Well worth a small diversion.

Whilst you don't need a jerry can many people take one anyway (more us oldies I suspect) - only other thing I would recommend is to take out premium road service cover. The basic road service cover can leave you a bit short if you need to be towed anywhere - not sure what the Vic equivalent of NRMA is but for long trips it's definitely worth the extra premium.

I second the idea of audio books to relieve the boredom

Yum- I love Noosa- have a friend who moved up there from Melbourne many years ago and really thrives up there. Not to mention that her house has gone up in value by a factor of 5 since the 1990s.

Do the trip Echuca to GC about every 6 months. The telescope in Parkes is worth taking a look at, best motel in parkes is the Station Motel ( BOOK ! ) some of the others are not that good. Its a really good road now but would advise not to do Coonabarraban to Narrabri after dark, you have to drive for an hour through the pilgra forest and roos jumping out are a real problem, and there are lots of B double trucks and few if any over taking areas. Narrabri is a great stop for a rest and picnic down by the river. Dont konw when you are thinking of traveling but once you reach Goondawindi you can go either via Toowoomba, or Via Warwick either way if you are going this year you will find some delay due to major road works as they continue to fix up damage from the floods. If you go via Warwick you will go down Cunninghams Gap. Stop for a few minuets and listen to the bell birds, oh and watch your speed ! cops often parked at both ends just waiting to hello with a radar gun.

Coming Back if you choose to go via the pacific hwy, Molly Mook is a lovely little coastal town and worth an over night stop. As has been said some lovely areas but in places the roads are not that good, but more of a concern are bush fires especially around Cann River any time from Mid oct to mid March. So if you are going that way make sure you down load the app for the NSW rural fire service and the one for the Vic Rural fire service and keep an eye on them for road closures due to fire or smoke.

In terms of your trip, we have done it in two separate journeys, i.e. Melb-Syd and Syd-Gold Coast. For the Melbourne bit I remember Lakes Entrance being nice and also Bega/Tahra/Narooma. Between Syd and GC we only stayed in Port McQuarie which is a nice little seaside town one night and did the whole trip in a long days drive on the way back, I did think Coffs was nothing special (apart from the Big Banana of course!)[/QUOTE]

I'm not so keen on Coffs, but I loved Sawtell, which is practically a suburb of Coffs, and Bellingen, just a few kilometres inland, is well worth a visit.

About Bellingen

One of Australia's best-kept secrets, Bellingen is a picturesque town situated roughly halfway between Brisbane and Sydney. Running through the centre of town is the Bellinger River – providing tranquil water views for many of the guesthouses in the region. Replete with natural beauty, Bellingen promises a relaxing retreat from the hustle and bustle of modern life.

Bellingen caters to travellers from all walks of life – regardless of budget. For travellers on a shoestring, comfortable backpacker's accommodation is available, and there are also ample camping options. With pleasant weather conditions all year round, Bellinger is the perfect place to experience the unique splendour of Australia's natural environment.

Luxury accommodation options are also available in Bellingen, perfect for those looking for a romantic weekend away. Intimate cottages line the Bellinger River, and a host of charming bed and breakfast guesthouses can be found close to the town.

Bellingen also has a number of eco huts and farmstay accommodation options. For those who would like to take some time out from their busy lives but want to do so in an ecologically sustainable way, the eco huts around Bellingen provide the perfect solution. Surrounded by verdant greenery, Bellinger is a nature-lover's dream come true.

Warm and mild even during the winter months, the weather in Bellingen is close to perfect. This makes it possible to enjoy bushwalking, cycling, camping and water sports all year round. The gorgeous weather also makes Bellingen the ideal location for Australia's largest regional markets – which attract visitors from all around NSW. The <strong>Bellingen markets</strong> boast a surplus of locally-grown produce and handmade crafts, and there is live entertainment for all ages. Guests to the area can easily spend a whole day wandering around the markets, taking in the sights, smells and sounds.

Referred to as the creative hub of the Coffs Harbour region, Bellingen is also home to the Bellingen Jazz and Blues Festival (held every year around August). Within the Bellingen community are a number of writers, artists and musicians – imbuing the area with a dynamic creative energy. Filled with natural splendour and abuzz with food, music and culture, Bellingen is a true gem.

Agree Bellingen is a beautiful spot, but if you do any of the magical bush walks check each other out when you get back to the car for ticks. Check hair, inside socks, around ears, and when you stop for the night have a really good look all over for these pests. Might add it is not just Bellengen, you find ticks all over Aus where there is heat and high humidity, and they can make you feel somewhat unwell for a couple of days. Wearing a hat is a good thing to do. Sunshine coast is fantastic and personally I much prefer it to the GC. You can go to Montville, beautiful tourist town in the sunshine coast hinterland, Parking can be a pain but worth waiting till you find a spot. Underwater world at Moolooolaba is interesting, the ginger factory, Bribie Island, yep heaps to do, oh Australia Zoo is up there as well but a bit expencive.

OK not trying to scare anyone, but just proof that if you travel in Aus even along the coast you need to be very aware of what is happening in the area you are traveling to or through. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-02/yamba-caravan-park-threatened-in-bushfire-emergency/5643560 We are still in winter but there are already fires threatening homes along the central coast of NSW.

Echuca is only 3 hours North of Melbourne and a very good road, have you thought of starting your trip with an over night in Echuca ? You could take the kids for a ride on one of the paddle wheelers, and look around the port area. Lots of great motels in both Echuca and Moama (Moama is on the other side of the Murray River just over the bridge, easy run then through to Deniliquin then keep heading north, through Narrandarah (good spot to stop and have a break and a coffee then on to Parkes.

Great food at the Shamrock hotel in the main street of Echuca and they do second meal for $5 on several night of the week.