ROAD TRIP MELBOURNE to GOLD COAST

ausHWC

Hey Tina2,

Thanks for the great tips and suggestions, really good to know these things, I will be sure to avoid after hours driving in pilgra forest, definitely don't fancy road killing a Roo :-). I think I'm going to have to do a second road trip ! there sounds like too many good places to stop and check out.

Thanks again, its really helpful.

Hey Tina2,

Thanks for the great tips and suggestions, really good to know these things, I will be sure to avoid after hours driving in pilgra forest, definitely don't fancy road killing a Roo :-). I think I'm going to have to do a second road trip ! there sounds like too many good places to stop and check out.

Thanks again, its really helpful.

Your welcome. We do the trip every 3 - 6 months and lived in central NSW for a few years so know the road and area very well. The Hume is a great road these days, we only use the pacific if we are taking a break on the coast. In Aus Roo's are around in many areas day and night but prolific in more rural forest areas. Just be alert even turn it into a game for the kids - spot the roo. If you see one on the side of the road just slow down and beep the horn and they will usually hop off back into the scrub. The last think you need is to hit a big bull kangaroo that stands over 5 ft tall at 100km.

Do you have a GPS ? Handy thing to have on a long trip. If you go via Warwick, once you get over Cunningham's Gap you will go through a tiny township of Aratula, just after that you will see a black and white sign to the Gold Coast. This is the back way to the Gold Coast via Beaudesert and is very much a B road. Your choice of course but we used it once but now stick to the main hwy. If you just keep driving you will end up on the Ipswich motor way, that then takes you to join up with the Logan Motor Way, and that takes you to join up with the M1 Gold Coast Motor Way, straight down to the coast .

Do you have a E Tag that works in Qld ? They don't have as many toll roads as in Victoria but if you are planning to go on the Logan Motor way or up to the sunshine coast you will need one. You can get a casual pass via

https://www.govia.com.au/SelfService/SignupScreens/Viavideopassesnone.action Even if you go via Toowoomba the road eventually ends up on the Ipswich motor way and the Logan.

Edited by Tina2

Hi very recently made the trip from victoria to queensland with 2 small kids.

We went warrnambool to Gundagai and stayed in the Tuckerbox Inn, next day Gundagai to Port Mcqaurrie stayed over night then next day spent some time in port mcquarrie then at Coffs Harbour for a couple of hours arriving into Gold Coast about 7pm at night.

its a lengthy drive and not much to look at along the way.

So 2 nights 3 days is comfortable driving time.

xx

Your welcome. We do the trip every 3 - 6 months and lived in central NSW for a few years so know the road and area very well. The Hume is a great road these days, we only use the pacific if we are taking a break on the coast. In Aus Roo's are around in many areas day and night but prolific in more rural forest areas. Just be alert even turn it into a game for the kids - spot the roo. If you see one on the side of the road just slow down and beep the horn and they will usually hop off back into the scrub. The last think you need is to hit a big bull kangaroo that stands over 5 ft tall at 100km.

Do you have a GPS ? Handy thing to have on a long trip. If you go via Warwick, once you get over Cunningham's Gap you will go through a tiny township of Aratula, just after that you will see a black and white sign to the Gold Coast. This is the back way to the Gold Coast via Beaudesert and is very much a B road. Your choice of course but we used it once but now stick to the main hwy. If you just keep driving you will end up on the Ipswich motor way, that then takes you to join up with the Logan Motor Way, and that takes you to join up with the M1 Gold Coast Motor Way, straight down to the coast .

Do you have a E Tag that works in Qld ? They don't have as many toll roads as in Victoria but if you are planning to go on the Logan Motor way or up to the sunshine coast you will need one. You can get a casual pass via

https://www.govia.com.au/SelfService/SignupScreens/Viavideopassesnone.action Even if you go via Toowoomba the road eventually ends up on the Ipswich motor way and the Logan.

Used to drive that road every week for 8 months (25 years ago). Can honestly say that it is a really good drive, scenery wise. thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Bobj

Dont know if you have done the trip recently but you are right its a good drive, lots of nices little towns to pull up and stretch the legs and have a coffee. We have motels down pat now know the good ones and the not so good ones. Sad to see motels in Coonabarraban have really slipped and we now either stop in Parkes or Dubbo depending on how much of a hurry we are in.

As I said the only small negative is the Pilgra, 100km of flat scrub between coonabarraban and Narrabri, You just have to drive to the conditions and not be silly like trying to over take 3 semi trailers with a bend in the road coming up. As the white crosses show not everone gets through in one piece sadly, just cant wait so foot down an off they go, its a great road and we just take our time and let them all roar past us.

Hi Bobj

Dont know if you have done the trip recently but you are right its a good drive, lots of nices little towns to pull up and stretch the legs and have a coffee. We have motels down pat now know the good ones and the not so good ones. Sad to see motels in Coonabarraban have really slipped and we now either stop in Parkes or Dubbo depending on how much of a hurry we are in.

As I said the only small negative is the Pilgra, 100km of flat scrub between coonabarraban and Narrabri, You just have to drive to the conditions and not be silly like trying to over take 3 semi trailers with a bend in the road coming up. As the white crosses show not everone gets through in one piece sadly, just cant wait so foot down an off they go, its a great road and we just take our time and let them all roar past us.

Pilliga Scrub. Yes, I know it fairly well. Used to do work on the roads around Narrabri to Coona.

Cheers, Bobj.